Country
    Singapore

Ghost shrimp spawned!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey Folks,

Last night I noticed that one of the ghost shrimps in my community tank looked ready to spawn, so I quickly set up a maternity tank and threw in a few branches of random cuttings from the plants from the community tank.

This morning I woke up to find that she's already dropped the larvae, and they're floating and swimming all about the tank.

I haven't had much time to research what to feed them, and I can't get infusoria whatever anywhere near where I live (Jurong East).

I just threw in some crushed flake food and TetraBits, hoping this will keep them nourished.

What else can I feed them? Strained raw egg yolk? Dead or decaying leaves from Jurong Lake?

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Ghost shrimp spawned!

You can feed them greenwater, the greenish water caused by algae blooms. Raw egg yolk or dead and decaying leaves can also help in culturing infusoria.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not sure where I can avail myself to greenwater, but I shall ride out now to Jurong Lake to harvest some leaves and plants!

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

You can culture your own greenwater if you want. Basically just introduce a source of ammonia into a water source, leave it under bright sunlight for a week, and you will get an algae bloom.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think I'll do just that with some water from a%2ptank that's still cycling. Thank you!

Meanwhile, since the poor little ghost shrimp babies are crying for milk, you reckon the detritus and microscopic thingies on dead/decaying leaves will sustain them until I get the greenwater in a week's time?

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmmm, personally i think it might not be sufficient. If you need the greenwater now, you can ask forummers whether they can spare some or you can get from public ponds that have greenwater.

For public ponds, i know that there are a cluster of 4 ponds in Botanic Gardens that have greenwater, like the pond is totally green due to algae bloom. It is at the sundial garden, and everytime i visited the place it had greenwater. Not sure about now though. However it might be rather inconvenient for you since you live at Jurong. Maybe you can try exploring your neighbourhood ponds.

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

BTW, if you are taking water from public ponds, do ensure that the water is clean and is unlikely to contain any toxic chemicals. For example, if that pond is lifeless and does not have any forms of life living within, i will suggest you avoid taking water from there.