3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

URGENT Chiller Problem

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, just got myself a Hailea HS-28A yesterday from a fellow forumer.

I paired it up with a Eheim Aquacompact 40 which has flowrate rating of 250L/H and my tank size is 40cm. I realised the chiller is kicking in and out frequently. The chiller will run for less than 1 minute and turn off. And in less than 10mins it will turn on again.

Is my chiller faulty or my flowrate is too low?

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Your flowrate is way too low.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: URGENT Chiller Problem

so that is causing the chiller to react this way?

my tank size is 40x20x22cm, which is 17litres tank if i am not wrong.

will you be able to recommend me a filter to use? would eheim classic 150 be suitable? worried that the filter will be too strong for my tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It because the temperature sensor located at small chamber inside the chiller. The chiller cool the water faster than it can be replace by warmer water due to low flowrate. solution is to increase your flowrate or modify your sensor location.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Went to simlim tower just now, not a single shop that is open have the thermostat. they only have the thermostat that is a round metal thingy.

can anyone advise exactly which shop there is selling what we need to modify the chiller? or anyone we can just pay and they will modify it for us?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by altezza_87 View Post
    Went to simlim tower just now, not a single shop that is open have the thermostat. they only have the thermostat that is a round metal thingy.

can anyone advise exactly which shop there is selling what we need to modify the chiller? or anyone we can just pay and they will modify it for us?
    the shop is at basement. closed on sun. 3rd floor got shops that sell the connector at a low price.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

guess i have to go there during a weekday.

just hooked up a filter with a higher flowrate, situation seems to have improved drastically for now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

check the length you need before going down to buy. mine was luckily just nice, but i'm not sure if they sell different length.

since you got a hailea HS-28A, why not upgrade to a 2ft tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Loudness View Post
    check the length you need before going down to buy. mine was luckily just nice, but i'm not sure if they sell different length.

since you got a hailea HS-28A, why not upgrade to a 2ft tank.
    thanks, will take note of that.

i am dying to have at least a 2feet tank, but as of now i am squeezing whatever space i can. Its my parents house afterall, i am waiting for my elder brother and his wife to move out. Then i will have space for a big tank, maybe in my own room.

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    guess i have to go there during a weekday.

just hooked up a filter with a higher flowrate, situation seems to have improved drastically for now.
    Higher Flowrate...wait chiller works well but end up tornado inside the water.
    Hee hee...

1)Get a external probe will be a better choice and more accurate which leads to lesser kick in...

2)Get a bigger tank...at least a 2 feet....or custom a 1.5feet with a taller height.

3)Ask your brother to move out ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by newlife View Post
    Hee hee...

1)Get a external probe will be a better choice and more accurate which leads to lesser kick in...

2)Get a bigger tank...at least a 2 feet....or custom a 1.5feet with a taller height.

Yah, many bros already said the same thing....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by newlife View Post
    Hee hee...

Getting the tornado effect, but so far the shrimplets are swimming fine. And there are enough areas where they can get covers from.

So it should be alright i guess?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Went down to SimLim tower again to search for the temperature probe.

Got the temperature sensor from Acez Instruments, showed them a picture of the sensor like what I have posted below from a guy nickname gryphon from another forum. Straight away they got the same exact sensor for me. Was told by a shop guy there that for this sensor there is no positive or negative. happily off i went.

then went level 3 to get the connector so that i do not need to do anything to the chiller parts. got it at level 3, i believe most electronic shops there have it.

just connect the sensor to the connector, unplug the chiller sensor and connected with mine. slot the sensor through the front air vent of the chiller and off it went to the tank.

its currently working fine, the chiller worked all the way to cooled my tank straight to my set temperature 26 degree and shut off at 25.8 degree. initial temperature shown on chiller was 30.2 degree. due to my small tank it only took less than 10mins. the chiller kicked in at 27 degree again.

next is to see how much increased in electricity when the bill comes next month. my mom is totally not cool about me getting a chiller. most likely got to increase her allowance to cover for the extra in utilities bill.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro, how do you connect the probe to the connector. You solder yourself or you just twist the copper wires on both ends?

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by prodrive View Post
    Bro, how do you connect the probe to the connector. You solder yourself or you just twist the copper wires on both ends?
    It's a clip on

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by prodrive View Post
    i actually used a type of cable clamps that can allow me to disconnect the probe from the connector itself, provided by my dad since he got a lot of such stuffs. if you want i can take a picture and show you.

try not to twist the wires together unless you are very good at such things. poorly done and you will not get a good connection or it might come off if handled roughly.

in any case you can get this plastic connectors easily at those hardware shops to connect the wires together.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Just to add on additional purchasing information

Since I have been scouring the forums for information on how to do this, I might as well add back to the pool (besides, I think this is the most recent thread that touch upon modifying an external temperature probe onto a Hailea chiller).

I purchase the external temperature probe for $21.40 (inclusive of GST) at Acez Instrument, Sim Lim Tower #B1-38 (operating hours). Besides the 103AT-11 model (which you have probably come across a photo of, if you searched for external temperature probe in the forums), they do see a "Fox"- branded stainless steel version, which even though it has a stainless steel probe, I was cautioned by the sales assistant that it isn't entirely water-proof & may not stand up to the corrosion of salt-water. Needless to say, I bought the other one (the plastic-tipped version).

Getting the probe is the easy part. Finding out how to connect it to the chiller, not so much. Most discussion centered around soldering it & initially, since I have no soldering experience, I intended to get a friend to do it for me. But thanks to this thread (specifically the 2nd photo in this post), I thought of getting the tips of the probe mounted into a connector of sorts.

So, based on a rough assumption of specifically which component in the chiller I will be connecting the probe to (last photo in this post & 1st photo in this post), I went to a shop in the 3rd floor, Silicon Electronics Co. #03-02 (I may remember the unit no. wrongly, but it is near an aerial RC kit shop & I'm quite positive I got the shop name right) to get them to make the following for me (they are still open on as of noon when I went this Saturday):

As you see, I got an additional pair of wires with a male & a female connector (along with an extra lengthy cable); & the end of my original probe is capped with a male connector as well. In this case, I can either connect the probe by itself to the chiller component, or if I need a longer clearance, I can connect the probe to the second pair of wire & connect that wire's male connector to the chiller's female counterpart. All this for $7 (as a matter of fact, I suspect the price of the individual components costs way below $7 but as the few other shops around the 3rd floor & basement do not even like to entertain me, I decided to give my business to this one. Not to say the staff at this shop is super-friendly, but they at least accommodated my request).

So, that's about it. What to buy, & where to buy it from, & how much. I stress again: personally I have not opened up my own HS-28A chiller to connect the probe yet, so if there's no female connector inside I probably will have to strip the wires again & really get my friend to solder for me.

P.S. 1 thing I do not understand is that (this post & this post) mentioned a certain manner of connecting specific coloured cables. However, since the sales assistant mentioned there ain't no positive or negative to the probe, I suppose it doesn't matter?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

since we are using the same chiller i am sure all you have to do is to open up, disconnect the existing one and connect your external probe. and i personally feel that $7 is reasonable to pay since someone is doing it for you, and the workmanship looks good.

the sales assistant mentioned to me too that there are no positive or negative to the probe, and he is dead sure about it. mine is working fine for about 2 weeks, so i guess it is true.

just a suggestion, since you have yet to hook it up, maybe you can take more pictures for step by step guide on how to go about opening the chiller up and connecting the external probe. it will benefit more people as i am quite sure there are a lot more people out there who wants to do this but have no clue about how to go about doing it. i forgot about it when i was connecting mine.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Does anyone did a external temperature probe for artica chiller? Will it be the same as above? Where could I locate the probe in the chiller?

Mine resale 1/4 hp arctica chiller seem to be kicking in often. Hooking up with a eheim 1262 for a 4footer tank with sump.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

...just a suggestion, since you have yet to hook it up, maybe you can take more pictures for step by step guide on how to go about opening the chiller up and connecting the external probe. it will benefit more people as i am quite sure there are a lot more people out there who wants to do this but have no clue about how to go about doing it. i forgot about it when i was connecting mine.
    Okay, here goes:

1st, I forgot to mention one thing in my previous post, & that is, the shop which I need to modification to the non-probe end of the external temperature probe (as well as made an additional "plug-&-play" cable extender) is Silicon Electronics #03-02 Sim Lim Tower. I also wish to point out it is still open around on Saturday noon.

Moving on to installing the probe onto the chiller. It is extremely fuss-free when I don't have to solder anything. It would have taken me less than 5 minutes, but then I was taking photos.

The first thing to do is to remove the front-facing cover of the chiller; which is secured only by a single screw (in the case of the HS-28A) at the bottom of the casing. There is no need to remove the other screws along the sides of the chiller casing. After opening it up, you will be presented with this:

More importantly, this is a close-up of the existing probe connection I saw in my unit:

Secondly, unhinge/disconnect the cables from one another. To elaborate, if one never handles this form of connection before, note that there is a "small latch" on the female connector which you have to press to enable you to gently wriggle the male end out. Do not just pull both ends from one another.

Thirdly:

(Left to right: unused terminal of the existing temperature probe; to-be-used terminal with the female connector end; male-end of the new, external temperature probe)

Connect the male end of your new external probe to the in-place female end. I wound the unused ol' male end to ensure it doesn't accidentally touch anything else in the chiller. I suppose you can cable-tie it to some other rigid structure in the chiller.

Fourthly,

Figure out how you want to thread the connection beyond your chiller casing & replace your front cover. In my case, I chosed not to thread it through the airfilter vents & instead use the minuscule gap between the LCD panel & its cut-out. & you are done with the modification!

In my case, my chiller will be placed rather far from my tank, so as you can see, instead of connecting the external probe directly to the female connector inside the chiller, I "slipped" in an additional cable extension.

Update: I realise that I do not know what will happen if some itchy hands disconnect this additional connection while the chiller is in operation. So, you may wish to secure the connection with black-tape.

So that's about it. I haven't turn on my own HS-28A yet, so don't hold me responsible if you try this & it explodes. I'm just sharing some photos of what you may see.

Really have to be thankful to the first fellow (whoever he/she is) that identified which cable is connected to the internal temperature probe. If I were to go the soldering route, I may not know which existing connection to severe & solder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast