Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Volcanic Soil?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone. Was looking around my estate mall and I saw some fertilizer. $2.50 for a 5L pack. It say that it is volcanic potting mix and cocopeat base. Contains trace elements as well. Is it suitable to be base fert for a planted tank? Its quite light so I think sand will have to be used to cover it. Any comments?
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    There are quite a few volcanic basalts that are often used, I think AB makes one, Eco Complete is volcanic etc.

A number of us here in the USa are using Lignite/leonardite for a base and I am trying to encih the leonardite as well with NO3/PO4.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Volcanic Soil?

[quote:21c75096c0="Lighthammer"]Hi everyone. Was looking around my estate mall and I saw some fertilizer. $2.50 for a 5L pack. It say that it is volcanic potting mix and cocopeat base. Contains trace elements as well. Is it suitable to be base fert for a planted tank? Its quite light so I think sand will have to be used to cover it. Any comments?[/quote:21c75096c0]

Yes. I have used that in all my tanks. It costs $2 only at Cold Storage.
    It's not as fertile as commercial base fertilisers like JBL. So I like to mix it with some JBL base fertiliser. Or add in some loose form of Root Monsters.

Good thing is that it does not cloud water. And is quite pH neutral, maybe a hint of acidity.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Good thing is that it does not cloud water.
    Thats funny. My tank is totally cloudy. I have changed water everyday but everytime I come back from work the water is milky again. Anyway to fight this problem? I'm using europet black gravel. Could it be possible that the gravel is causing the cloudiness?
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:dcc20b83ad="Lighthammer"]
    Good thing is that it does not cloud water.
    Thats funny. My tank is totally cloudy. I have changed water everyday but everytime I come back from work the water is milky again. Anyway to fight this problem? I'm using europet black gravel. Could it be possible that the gravel is causing the cloudiness?[/quote:dcc20b83ad]

Its normal for the water to be cloudy if its a new setup.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Cloudy as in brownish or whitish?
    I'm back!