Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Rosy tetra jumping out of planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Go a big shock earlier when i found one of my five rosy tetras on the table beside my 10gallon planted tank. It must have just jumped out as it was still breathing and i quickly put it back in again. It stayed close to the bottom of the tank for a while before rejoining the other four after about an hour or so.
    Not sure what caused it to jump out..i've two corys and two otos in the tank. So far the rosy tetras are pretty shy and hide behind the plants at the rear bottom of the tank.only coming out when the tank lights are off and not many people around.
    No other weird actions observed from the others and my water parameters are decent. Not zero ammonia but just a notch up on the API test kit, 0.25ppm , zero nitrite and about 10-20 ppm of nitrate.
    Tried googling but didn't find much if any info on them doing jumps out of tanks.
    Only change this weekend is that i added some additional plants and i had suspected if it could be lack of oxygen but none of the fishes are gasping for air and mostly staying near the lower half of the tank as usual. The corys with their usual rummaging of the substrate and otos with their (again) usual pattern of combing the tank walls.
    Any other reasons which could cause this?

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Rosy tetra jumping out of planted tank

Hi, i think if it is a one-off occurance it should be rather alright as it does happen sometimes. You just need to cover the tank. Did you quarantine/wash your plants before adding it to the tank? Some of these plants have been sprayed with pesticides that might have a detrimental effect on livestock.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I hope it's a one off too... what i did before planting them was washing in dechlorinated water before giving them a soak in aquarium salt water with a little Seachem Paraguard.

Hard to cover the tank as I mounted lights, fans and HOB. I did buy a piece of black plastic grid at C328 but that was more to guard against my son dropping his toys into the tank than fish jumping out.

Will do fish count later once I get back home. Last seen this morning, all five seemed to be swimming normally and I can't even make out in terms of appearance which was the one that jumped out. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lost one tetra.. Realize one it's not as active for the past 2 days.. Found it dead while doing water change earlier... not sure if it's the one that leaped out of the water...