Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Would love to get more killies into Australia! Would you like to help?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Would love to get more killies into Australia! Would you like to help?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Long time no post! Hello to those of you who remember me, and hi to rest of you who I haven't had pleasure to interact with before.

I am in the process of building a new fishroom which hopefully will be complete by Feb 2013. Leading up to it I have been gradually updating my set-up and equipment.

Over the years as my collection of tanks grew due to need and finding bargains, I ended up with tanks of many different sizes. Which is fine but not ideal for efficient fishroom management. So slowly over many months I replaced my old tanks and stands with new ones.

My fishrooms look changes from this:

to this:

This is more or less where I am going to stop at the moment. When the new fishroom is built I am hoping to have another 3 stands; but we'll see about that!

My main aim at the moment with the help of other killifish keepers here in Australia to ensure we maintain the species we have here and not loose them, while sourcing some new species to add to our collections.

As you know there are strict quarantine laws in Australia and importing eggs in not allowed. However African genera Aphyosemion (including genera split from Aphyosemion like; Fundulopanchax, Chromaphyosemion, Scriptaphyosemion etc.) and Epiplatys and Asian genus Aplocheilus is on the allowable import list. Identifiable size fish of these genera can be legally imported into Australia going through proper quarantine channels.

I was wondering if anyone have ideas on how I might be able to get some new killifish to Australia.

We have a wonderful fish importer in Australie who is based in Brisbane Australia. She regularly imports bettas and guppies mostly through her transhipper in Thailand. Australians are able to bid for bettas and guppies on Aquabid and the fish get sent to the transhipper in Thailand before being sent to the importers facilities in Australia to go through the quarantine process.

Do you think it would be possible for me to find people who can send fish to the transhipper in Thailand? Or does this sound too hard.

I am not in a hurry, I'll be happy if this ends up being a 6month or a year long project.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Re: Would love to get more killies into Australia! Would you like to help?

Well, good news! I heard a shipment of killies have arrived in Australia through one of the major importer/wholesaler.

One of them is a welcome import bivittatum Funge - we had a few in the country but additional fish are welcome, though only a handful was imported. I am hoping I'll be able to get eggs of these fish in due time.

Most exciting of all is walkeri Kutunse GH2/74 - as far as I am aware this is the first time this fish making its way into Australia. Haven't seen the fish in person yet, but really looking forward to it.

Serkan

Feedback Score
    Country
    New Zealand

Re: Would love to get more killies into Australia! Would you like to help?

Hi Serkan,

I am new here and from NZ, I to would like more killi's in NZ.
    How is the fish room? Have you had any more luck with importing killi's into Aussie?
    Do you know if they are in Aussie if they can be transported to NZ?

Regards Malcolm.