Country
    Singapore

Chloramine's effect on plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Some Newbie Mistakes to Avoid

1. Never add untreated tap water to your aquarium plants.

Even if the aquarium has no fish; NEVER add chloramine laden tab water to your aquarium. Chloramine is deadly to aquarium plants! Within 2-3 days of adding chloramine to your aquarium, your plants will begin to show the initial damage in the form of "melting" . When using tap water, pre-treat it first in a separate container w/ AMQUEL and THEN add it to the aquarium. Damage can also be done to plants by chloramine if added untreated to an aquarium after a large water change.
    Saw this on this page: http://www.floridadriftwood.com/introplanttank.htm

A recent discussion on th eeffects of Singapore tap water came to my mind. Ok, it's fine for fishes but is Singapore water which does contain chloramine and chlorine bad for plants?? or not concentrated enough to be significant??
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Singapore tap water contains both, kill all harmful germs and bacteria..... that's why we are one of the few countries that you can drink safely and directly from the tap......

Anyway, always add anti-chlorine/anti-chloramine, to our tap water , just to be on the safe side. You can actually smell chlorine if you force water out of a tube... e.g squeeze tube opening small and on the tap.... Forcing water out of tubing also helps in releasing chlorine from the water.....

Aging water overnight might help, but chloramine is much more stable than chlorine in water..... so some chloramine might be still in the water after 12 hours.

My estimation to mostly clear entire water( at least to a safe range)
    1) Anti-chlorine/chloramine , works almost instaneously..... Give it about 5 to 15 mins, need to spread to entire water body....
    2) Aging water takes about 12 to 24 hours.....
    3) Aging water that are forced/sprayed out of tap takes about 4 to 8 hours.

Any other feedbacks?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    All these, standing and anti-chlorine, are too troublesome for me. I just change 50~60% without qualm. Killed hundreds of yamatoes but plants are still standing (I know I sinned). Those chemicals make our water potable and have no effect on MY plants and MY fishes at that quantities but not MY yamatoes. I use 'MY' because your water may not come from the same reservior as those I used.

In fact, don't follow my ways, it's sinful. Use anti chlorine as suggested if your yamatoes or cherrys or malayan are as important to you as your plants. Don't waste your time standing your water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think acceralting dechlorinisation is pretty easy, no need to stand.
    A combination of anti-chlorine/chloramine and aeration will displace the harmful chemicals away.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    singapore tap water is not OK for fish...
    u definitely need anti chlorine and anti chloramine

chloramine is very deadly to a fish tank...
    the BB in the filter can be wiped out very fast, resulting in fatalities in fish
    some sensitive fish might also experience "burns" on their bodies

aerating water does not remove chloramine from water, u need to use a chemical agent to remove chloramine

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Plants I am not concern . Geoffrey , any fish deaths using direct water changes ? E.g 1 death every month for a single 50% change water weekly ?

Our water might be slightly different due to reserviors,water catchment tanks , desalinated water ,NEWATER, or outsourced water treatment (e.g hyflux ). I think only desalinated water might contains the least chlorine/chloramine( processed water is almost distilled water quality)...... Dunno, we need to ask water-treatment experts here hehe

For my bigger tanks.... too lazy to haul buckets of water. Very Siong. So I directly pipe water into tank but always add Anti-chlorine/Anti-chloramine..... Using Tetra Aquasafe NH/CL (chloramine) formula for my show tank and Nutrafin Aquaplus for my other smaller tanks( cichlids and luohans ).

I've found that Aquaplus causes irritation to some of my sensitive fish.I believe it've caused some of my rainbow fish deaths after trying out on my show tank....Twice bitten, I had since stopped using it for my show tank. Any comment on this product ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Plantmania,

No fish death as a result of my habit but shrimp death aplenty

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bro,

I have been adding water directly into my tank for every water change. I am on a 20% weekly water change regime. I am using Aquaplus anti chlorine/chloramine. So far no problem for my tetras, guppies, angels, SAE, OTO, Yamatoes, platys & plants too.

Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So far no issue for me, even sometimes with 70% water change direct from tap without anti-stuff. I keep neon/cardinal/otos/malayan shrimps. Other sensitive fishes, I'm not sure. My shrimps and most of the fishes, have since been with me for about a year now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:fad0633b5e="naturetan"]So far no issue for me, even sometimes with 70% water change direct from tap without anti-stuff. I keep neon/cardinal/otos/malayan shrimps. Other sensitive fishes, I'm not sure. My shrimps and most of the fishes, have since been with me for about a year now.[/quote:fad0633b5e]

The topic is the effect on Plants.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Same, same. No effect, as healthy as ever.