2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Help on new planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros, I have a new planted tank flooded on 5july. It's with ANS planta soil mix with some old Ada 2 from my previous tank. It's on a used fluval C2 initially and changed to a new 2213 on 13july. I did add some BW bacter crystal to speed up the process. It had a algae outbreak when I came back on 25july. So I draw out all the water, clean the glass and blackout the tank for 2days. On 27 July I flooded the tank again with some water from my other established tank plus aged water. I also added alot of mini fissiden and some frogbits.
    Today I tested the water and the result are ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0. Does this mean that the tank is cycled? Should I start adding livestock?
    Thanks in advance for helping

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help on new planted tank

Nobody can help?

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Should be cycled, what livestock you intend to introduce? Shrimps? If you are worred, you can try out with some hardy livestocks first just to make sure e.g shrimps:- cherry, fish:-platy, guppy

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What you want to add? Fish or shrimp?
    I assume that when you mention planted tank if shrimps they won't be those high grade shrimp

Btw, test again before buying live stock. Maybe 2-3 days later, no harm testing more.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks wong and Felix for replying. Tank is intended for shrimps and some small fishes(eg. Boraras)
    Can't help myself when I went to GC last night and got 12 fire reds, 2 sunkist and 2 ottos(1 zebra and 1 normal).
    Just tested the water and result are ammonia 0,nitrite 0 and nitrate 10. Ph at 6.4. Looks good so far.
    Oh is it possible if the ammonia shoot up? Say to 0.25? If so, what should I do? Just a precaution as added so many livestock at 1 go.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Note: Sunkist will cross breed with FR

Some parts of Singapore's tap water has mininal amount of NH3.

If your tank is established & cycled, BB in the tank/filter should be able to counter small amount of NH3 fast. There are some commercial available products to convert NH3 to less toxic substance.Generally, don't change/rectify if no problem.

Weekly monitoring should be sufficient.

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It's ok if they cross breed cause only keeping for fun, not for selling. I'll be glad if they can berri as my other tank never have any berried shrimp
    I'll monitor weekly to see if there's any change in water.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Rexxer,

Hope to see new berried shrimp pictures.
    The plants will take up the waste as part of their process of making food. (Read nitrogen cycle - Wikipedia Link)

You can save the below link for references.
    Credits to original authors for the wonderful charts.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...y-inbred/page3

Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro thanks for the chart. fire reds and sunkist are under which group? Cherry?
    Oh last night I saw some white worms wiggle around. Very small thin worms. Are they safe for the shrimps? And also saw some that stick on the glass, look like hydra. Are they ok too? If not how can I get rid of them? Read from somewhere that assassin snail will eat them, true? Don't wanna put in chemical as the shrimps I bought are berried and scare it'll kill the fries.