Country
    Singapore

Fighting BGA with Erythromycin

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com...thromycin.html

I found the above preety informative. Erythromycin is an antibiotic, not so much of a commercial algacide and my research on the net shows that this drug is harmless to both plants and fish and is very effective against cyanobacteria / BGA.

Some scientific info on BGA
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bluegralgae.htm

I hope this will be useful for some here.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, I suppose erythomycin can be effective against BGA. But as with all anti-biotics, please use it with care, lest you create a resistant strain. That would mean that erythomycin would become ineffective in future. Maybe "normal" people cannot appreciate this but coming from someone who is allergic to a whole class of anti-biotics, I really hope people don't abuse it. Already, my options of anti-biotics is already so limited, I can't imagine new resistant strains becoming immune to the limited options that I have. Just sharing my thoughts (not that I'm going to be infected by BGA or what )

Just a fyi, erythomycin is used widely in humans to treat various problems, including skin infections and sexually transmitted diseases. Wonder why it works against BGA though...
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Very true, if you don't kill all the bga completely, the BGA strain might develope immunity and when you pass plants with immune BGA around, nightmare begins.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Antibiotics have some effect on BGA because blue-green algae are actually bacteria with photosynthetic cells, not algae. I recall reading posters who noted that antibiotic treatment only works for a while, after which the BGA become resistant.

Total black-outs work much better. Change 50% of the water while sucking out whatever BGA you can, dose 10ppm of NO3, cover the tank with a blanket/picnic cloth/whatever, switch off the CO2 and lights. After three days, do another 50% water change and dose in full spectrum of nutrients and keep the light/CO2 at full blast. The BGA will have starved away and the plants will be all "closed up" but fine.

A side note to Tom: remember the gray slime (looks a bit like BGA but without the small and blue-green tinge) problem someone posted on APD? I had the same thing a while ago: plants thrived while I kept up CO2 and full fert dosing, but the slime disappeared only after a 4 day blackout (no water change).

Feedback Score
    Used to have them BGA on my floating riccia. I sprinkle aquarium salt directly on the BGA and voila! they disappear.
    Regards.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Death by osmosis?
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.