Country
    Singapore

Yet another newbie

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

I am new to aquarium - always wanted when i was young but never had the time nor money.

I've gotten myself a dymax IQ3 initially for my son when we went to the fish farm to catch fishes .. Guppies. Now it's taken over by my wife we just love our green spotted dwarf puffer.

Also gotten a bigger tank fluval edge just for them.

I am interested to start freshwater planting, don't know where to start. Do I need CO2 etc.?. What filter to use.?.. So many questions...? May get another edge to start.

Trying to stick to fluval edge tank size, as we like mini size.

Many thanks for this great forum! i hope to learn from!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Yet another newbie

green spotted puffer fish is cute but aggressive, i hope your guppies are not in the same tank as the puffers...

A general guide for filteration is having a flowrate of 8-10 times the capacity of the tank, depending on your set-up, a low tech tank with hardy plants would not need to have CO2. CO2 is important to demanding plants and accompanying this factor would be the light requirement. Getting a fan would be a good idea as plants generally prefer cooler temperature.

To start off, I would recommend getting a tank not lesser than one ft for your case as smaller tank equals swinging water parameters which can be harmful to the fishes. Get a canister filter or a hang on filter, a light and my personal favourite is T5 lighting( save energy and better penetration). Decide on the aquascape you want, this include the plants and decorates in your tank i.e driftwoods, rocks

After getting all the needed items, let your tank runs for at least a month on its own before adding livestocks into the tank. Check out on the various anti-chlorine and fertilizer products you need. SOme of the common brands are Seachem, Neutrafin.

After all these are done, sit back and relax appreciating your tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up Re: Yet another newbie

Hi marcusth,

Thanks for your information :-)

Yes the puffers are aggressive towards prawns and themselves... but not towards the guppies, my guppies are quite aggressive too... lol and recently 1 gave birth to 17 fries.. 2 eaten by the mother and a puffer.

Yes, i am trying to keep it to the edge if possible, i have seen beautiful planted tanks for the fluval edge, maybe it's not practical. since i have no experience and sure got lots of trial and errors...

For lightings i am good with LEDs, i make my own. but still will look at the T5 for spec.

For parameters of the water, what would be consider a good parameters for planted tank? any web links for a small tank? also i see there is seneye's usb monitor, was thinking of getting those as i don't have any idea where to start testing parameters.. lol consider me an idiot.

lastly, appreciate your inputs!.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Yet another newbie

Parameter of water also depends on the livestocks in the tank, fishes and shrimps( sensitive to parameter swing) in comparison. Making sure your ammonia level is as near to 0 as possible to play safe is utmost important.

LED is yet to be fully accepted by hobbyist for a reason, varying results when comes to planted tank. The picture on the fluval tank box is possible only with the right water control, fert regime and CO2. However, it is rather impossible to be algae free.

Read the section under fertilizer for more information and for your case, look at the low-tech tanks section which might suits what you are looking for.