Country
    Singapore

Is this tank safe for usage?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I've just bought a 2ft by 1.5ft tank from a LFS recently. However, upon closer inspection, i realise one of the sides has a clear gap between 2 pieces of glass, and joined quite roughly by silicon. I'm very reluctant and fearful of using it as i feel the pressure over the medium term will surely crash the tank. It just doesnt feel smooth and secure with regards to the coat of silion. Please advise if i should take the tank back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Is this tank safe for usage?

This is the crystal glass with minimal silicon design? Should be safe but sure you have a very flat platform to support the weight evenly. But somehow, I feel this design is not as robust as those tank with silicon at the corner edge.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEnd View Post
    This is the crystal glass with minimal silicon design? Should be safe but sure you have a very flat platform to support the weight evenly. But somehow, I feel this design is not as robust as those tank with silicon at the corner edge.
    I don't know man. I saw it at an LFS and got it, cos i've been looking for ages to get something of that dimension. I'm using it for Freshwater but the obvious gap of almost 2mm is freaking me out.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That really freaks me out too.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bring it back for exchange

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Well, will bring it back tomorrow. However, it was the last one in stock, so not sure if there's anything the LFS can do about it. Thing is, its a rare to find such dimensions. Is it advisable to re-silicon? Any such service provided? Does it work?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is this tank safe for usage?

Better bring it back and ask for refund or wait for new stock, when it's still new/unused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you don't feel any comfortable and secure with it and not to mention is new set you had bought, so I will suggest you quickly get it change or refund once for all, while it possible.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

There's nothing wrong with the silicone. It 's a structural problem. When the tank is filled, there' considerable force exerted on the weakest joint, which is the part with the thick silicone covering the wide gap. It is not a joint, but a gap filling, which will deteriorate faster than the other joints with the constant force exerted over a period of time.

If that dimension is desirable for you, yo should travel to as many big lfs as possible to look for it. In any case, fish-keeping is not a hobby to rush into, since great patience is a reuqirement in this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkfin View Post
    Well, will bring it back tomorrow. However, it was the last one in stock, so not sure if there's anything the LFS can do about it. Thing is, its a rare to find such dimensions. Is it advisable to re-silicon? Any such service provided? Does it work?
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lemon law has started so you could bring it back to get it exchange with a better built one.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

bro sharkfin, bring back the tank to the shop. This is construction a problem which others have pointed out. The gap between the two glass is too wide and the silicon wont be able to hold the tank together when there is pressure. Just my two cents worth.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hello...

Small tanks like a 3L no problem. You won't want to mess with the bigger tanks of this type of structure. Not worth your pockets and the cleaning up in time to come.
    “We know very little about what happens to Belugas in the wild, and it’s only through aquariums like this that we actually find out that information.” Clint Wright