4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbie Corydora Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just bought a short bodied cory from my house downstairs. Weird but cute. Upon further inspection from top down it had a crooked spine, but could swim well. Doesn't look sick and is very active. Not sure if birth defect or was injured last time, but I decided to go ahead with the purchase and bring him home to give him a good life.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feeding time!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, actually it's better to use thin layer of sudo bottom sand for your cories so they can sift through the substrate for food. Especially if you feed live tubi, the worms will wriggle and hide into the sand, maybe die in the substrate and foul your tank water. I find your current sand later too thick and with rough/sharp edges, not too conducive for your cories.
    Your substrate looks like coral sand to me n it's not good for cories...

Just sharing some personal opinion and hope you don't mind.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If you like white substrate, I think there's a type of very fine white sand available. Can't recall the brand but the packaging got black/orange printing...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ideally the sand bottom should not cover the whole floor.

I once saw them do it expertly in a Cory tank at AMK711 Pet Boutique.
    What they did was create a small bare area without sand. I immediately liked that design the moment I saw it.
    I think that's clever, and of course practical too.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gyjd View Post
    Hi, actually it's better to use thin layer of sudo bottom sand for your cories so they can sift through the substrate for food. Especially if you feed live tubi, the worms will wriggle and hide into the sand, maybe die in the substrate and foul your tank water. I find your current sand later too thick and with rough/sharp edges, not too conducive for your cories.
    Your substrate looks like coral sand to me n it's not good for cories...

Just sharing some personal opinion and hope you don't mind.
    Hi thanks for your concern. Yeah it's coral sand. They seem to be doing well for now so I'll keep it that way. Maybe I will thin down the substrate.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Ideally the sand bottom should not cover the whole floor.

I once saw them do it expertly in a Cory tank at AMK711 Pet Boutique.
    What they did was create a small bare area without sand. I immediately liked that design the moment I saw it.
    I think that's clever, and of course practical too.
    Ooh why was that? Maybe I'll go buy 2x 1kg packs of sudo soon then, because I thought I needed a huge pack and $15 was honestly too much for me to pay when it came to a big pack of sudo sand. I'll see how it goes, thanks for your advice!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

In the wild, Corys have to scavenge for their food (worms) in the river bed mud. But since they are now your pets, why would you still need them to do scavenging in the hard sand and hurting their whiskers? But of course their old evolved habits will still remain with them for a long time to come.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

In the wild, Corys have to scavenge for their food (worms) in the river bed mud. They have no choice because no one feed them and they know where the delicious worms are. But since they are now your pets, why would you still need them to do scavenging in the hard sand and hurting their whiskers? But of course their old evolved habits will still remain with them for a long time to come.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Cause it's cute!

Anyway they were made to do that. Initially I was worried once people started pointing out bad things about coral sand but then so far 2 weeks now and them scavaging everyday, their barbel are still long and straight. Non of them have short and injured barbels and they still do the sifting during non feeding time. Cute.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thks for the update, very nice setup again. If you really like white base, maybe can try europet white sand.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by florakid View Post
    Thks for the update, very nice setup again. If you really like white base, maybe can try europet white sand.
    Where to get europet white sand?

KittyCat: inspired to include corys in my new tank thanks to u!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by apek19 View Post
    Where to get europet white sand?

KittyCat: inspired to include corys in my new tank thanks to u!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Hahhaha what has it gotta do with me? Make sure you take care of them!! Lovely little fishes.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice setup! the fern on wood really eye catching.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

When I had my Cory sterbais, I was very happy wih them. They are one of most peaceful fishes I had, similar to goldfish. They never disturb other fish at all, unlike Tetras, etc, which sometimes disturb others by chasing them and biting their fins.

All my nine Cory Sterbais used to line up and park nicely in a straight row in front of the tank (my tank had no sand at all) waiting for food with their sad-looking eyes. I have never had such a cute sight before with any other fish. They are really really cute fish to keep.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh yea I noticed 2 days ago my loxonozous and panda were scraping the side of their bodies on the substrate. Is this normal behavior? I haven't seen anything like that before.

They look okay, no fungus nor anything. The rest are just normal.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

They may be scratching an itch. I have also notices a couple of my Sterbais dong that. They really hit theiir bodies very hard on the tank bottom. Luckily I have no substrate but only smooth and slippery algae-covered bottom. If not, they will injure their body skin when they do that on a rough surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by KittyCat View Post
    Oh yea I noticed 2 days ago my loxonozous and panda were scraping the side of their bodies on the substrate. Is this normal behavior? I haven't seen anything like that before.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

They may be scratching an itch. I have also noticed a couple of my Sterbais dong that. And they really hit their bodies very hard on the tank bottom. Luckily I have no substrate but only smooth and slippery algae-covered bottom. If not, they will injure their body skin when they do that on a rough surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by KittyCat View Post

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    They may be scratching an itch. I have also noticed a couple of my Sterbais dong that. And they really hit their bodies very hard on the tank bottom. Luckily I have no substrate but only smooth and slippery algae-covered bottom. If not, they will injure their body skin when they do that on a rough surface.

Thanks for the reply. It did it again just now quite a lot of times.

I've to announce, I changed substrate! And reduced the amount. Just a 1kg pack of Sudo sand, but not sudo river as I can't find. Bought one with Guppy and Neon Tetra picture on it, washed it a few times and ran it with hot water. They seem so happy but the water is still really cloudy.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It is best to put sand in a big sieve and rinse it many times inside a bucket of water. Just cleaning it with hot water is not good enough, since there'e still a lot of fine sand powder. Change the bucket of water a few times if necessary.

If the tank water is cloudy with sand powder particles, it is not healthy for the fish. But since you have already put the sand in the tank, the filter should be able to clear it soon if the water flow is good.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

New SUDO substrate. Corys just finished meal.
    Added a styrofoam board to absorb shock because tank is on my study table so putting down things sometimes might scare them.

Lox that is flashing quite often. Healthy scales and active behaviour.

Now my older panda and sterbai are also flashing..
    After a full year of staring at my bf's tank and a few weeks of staring at mine at least an hour a day, this is the first few times I've seen corydoras doing that.
    ):
    Last edited by KittyCat; 28th Aug 2012 at 21:20.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast