Country
    Singapore

Re: DIY CO2 System Aquarium Plant Kit CO2 Diffuser Generator

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by ATM2013 View Post
    Very good info once again. I won't over do the pressure specially at night, I really do not want to have accidents. Maybe I could it at 1.5 Kg./cu. cm. Good to hear that it is stable.

I thought so, too. I don't mind shaking the bottle a few minutes before shutting the the valve at night. Very good suggestion on the additional valve for shutting it down. If it took you 20 mins. to tweak it at 1 bubble per second. It might even take longer for me to do that. I might as well prepare and buy the valve tomorrow.

Do you think, that closing the unit at night will make unit eventually unuseable?

Anyway, I have learned a lot already even before the unit arrive. So, thanks for all the suggestions.
    The only disadvantage of closing the unit at night i can foresee is the pressure change that would occur maybe after a total of 3 nights shut off.

This pressure change will affect your bps so you might have to tweak their needle valve to adjust to your desired speed again.

There are 2 ways the fluctuating pressure can make your unit eventually unuseable.

1. Pressure drops too low to siphon liquid from bottle A to bottle B. (For this to occur pressure must drop to 0)

2. Pressure goes too high. Bottle explodes. (Please make sure you use a strong plastic bottle, go to supermarket and try to squeeze bottle with your hands. You will notice some mineral water bottles can be pressed easily. Those cola bottles cannot press in so well. Try to aim for that.)

Both of these unlikely.. But if 1. occurs, just restart the system again without changing the contents of the bottles. No problem.

Usually the pressure will drop due to the sodium acetate and CO2 dissolving, or might have some very small leakage somewhere. The difference is barely noticeable in 1 night.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Hello,

Ken or any other person knowledgable. I recently purchased this system, but after setting it up within a few mins nearly all the citric acid mix has gone to bottle B. is this normal? Does it mean i need to make the solution again. I thought it was supposed to last for 1 month? I've got the needle valve on the smallest opening so I'm not using too much co2 my drop checker shows a nice emerald green. What am I doing wrong? Please help i don't know who else to ask.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Maysara View Post
    Hello,

Ken or any other person knowledgable. I recently purchased this system, but after setting it up within a few mins nearly all the citric acid mix has gone to bottle B. is this normal? Does it mean i need to make the solution again. I thought it was supposed to last for 1 month? I've got the needle valve on the smallest opening so I'm not using too much co2 my drop checker shows a nice emerald green. What am I doing wrong? Please help i don't know who else to ask.
    Hi, i have stopped using the system due to my current tank requirements but i'll share what i know.

Initially with the recipe given, and the start up requirements, this is normal. The way you squeeze and release the bottle/pressure definitely affects how much is mixed before the set up is ready, but this would not be much difference.

1 month is an huge overestimate as that value is most likely derived from the amount of gas it can potentially produce. In my own experience, the set up has only been able to stably last me 2 weeks.

If you would still want to try to reach for 1 month, you can try concentrating the reactants or increasing the set up volume. (i.e. double the amount of reactants and use a 2L bottle)

Another way is to introduce pressure through another method... Either chemically.. adding dry ice? Or mechanically.. use a pressure pump sprayer and modify it?

I've seen people use this system with a pressure pump sprayer but i've never tried it before.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

thank you for the quick reply it really helped. I realised the co2 tube was not tightly secured to the needle valve outlet with the screw. The English instructions aren't very good and as i am clueless i didn't realise how to secure it tightly, but I've figured it out now.

I am new to fish keeping so my tank is only 63 litres ill see how long this mixture lasts in my tank. I may add more water than they suggest, as you have stated its better to add a bit more, but not too much as it may become unstable in a 2 litre bottle.

I'm not sure how to use the other methods you mentioned i would need an instructional video or images.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Maysara View Post
    thank you for the quick reply it really helped. I realised the co2 tube was not tightly secured to the needle valve outlet with the screw. The English instructions aren't very good and as i am clueless i didn't realise how to secure it tightly, but I've figured it out now.

I am new to fish keeping so my tank is only 63 litres ill see how long this mixture lasts in my tank. I may add more water than they suggest, as you have stated its better to add a bit more, but not too much as it may become unstable in a 2 litre bottle.

I'm not sure how to use the other methods you mentioned i would need an instructional video or images.
    No worries. Teflon tape if necessary

I saw a video on a pressure sprayer, can't find it anywhere now though. From what i recall, basically substitute the 1.5L bottle B with that sprayer. Drill 2 holes into it, 1 leading to bottle A, another to your CO2 reactor or diffuser.

When your mixes are in both bottles, ensure all valves are closed, then start pumping the sprayer until desired pressure.

Slowly tweak the needle valve, and there you have it.
    Last edited by ken90ken; 21st Jun 2013 at 20:59.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Interesting stuff ken thanks for the details!

is diy co2 safe around kids? What dangers are there i have small kids. I shold have thought about this before but was so eager to get started i simply forgot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Pressure wise shouldn't be a problem, don't think they will be able to raise the pressure of the set up.

The only problem might be them opening the bottles and getting it on/in themselves? Since it's only common screw-cap bottles..

I have no idea though, i don't have kids! sorry!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

I have had this setup for a while now and found it reasonably cheap, clean and easy. I'm using two 1.25 soda bottles, with the chemical quantities reduced in proportion. At one bubble per second, it gives me around two and a half weeks of CO2.

I thought that I would share some pointers to make it easier for others:

• Use citric acid. Vinegar does not work nearly as well.
    • Citric acid can be found reasonably cheaply in large quantities. I pay around $10 per kilo from a swimming pool chemicals supplier. A kilo lasts me 6 months and makes around 650g of CO2.
    • You need to dissolve all of the citric acid.
    • Sodium bicarbonate only needs a quick shake, it can remain piled up in the bottom and will dissolve as needed.
    • I have a solenoid turning off the CO2 flow at night and have not had any issues or pressure build up.
    • The soda bottles can easily hold 4kg/cm2 of pressure. They can even go up to more than 8kg/cm2 without exploding, but suffer structural damage and should be replaced.
    • I found that I need about 25% more sodium bicarbonate than citric acid to fully use up the ingredients.
    • If you seem to be using up the chemicals way too quickly, or if the pressure drops rapidly, check for leaks.
    • The rate of the reaction can be controlled by varying the quantity of water initially added to the citric acid. The more water, the slower the pressure rise. If you find your bottle pressure slowly building up over time, then add more water next time. Or, if your pressure never seems to remain up, add less water.
    • If I find my bottle pressure building up too high (usually towards the end of a cycle), I put the citric acid bottle down horizontally, so that the tube end is clear of the liquid. This allows the CO2 to leave the bottles without more being created.
    • The needle valve supplied with the kit is basic at best. I ended up replacing mine.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dominikm View Post
    I have had this setup for a while now and found it reasonably cheap, clean and easy. I'm using two 1.25 soda bottles, with the chemical quantities reduced in proportion. At one bubble per second, it gives me around two and a half weeks of CO2.

I thought that I would share some pointers to make it easier for others:

• Use citric acid. Vinegar does not work nearly as well.
    • Citric acid can be found reasonably cheaply in large quantities. I pay around $10 per kilo from a swimming pool chemicals supplier. A kilo lasts me 6 months and makes around 650g of CO2.
    • You need to dissolve all of the citric acid.
    • Sodium bicarbonate only needs a quick shake, it can remain piled up in the bottom and will dissolve as needed.
    • I have a solenoid turning off the CO2 flow at night and have not had any issues or pressure build up.
    • The soda bottles can easily hold 4kg/cm2 of pressure. They can even go up to more than 8kg/cm2 without exploding, but suffer structural damage and should be replaced.
    • I found that I need about 25% more sodium bicarbonate than citric acid to fully use up the ingredients.
    • If you seem to be using up the chemicals way too quickly, or if the pressure drops rapidly, check for leaks.
    • The rate of the reaction can be controlled by varying the quantity of water initially added to the citric acid. The more water, the slower the pressure rise. If you find your bottle pressure slowly building up over time, then add more water next time. Or, if your pressure never seems to remain up, add less water.
    • If I find my bottle pressure building up too high (usually towards the end of a cycle), I put the citric acid bottle down horizontally, so that the tube end is clear of the liquid. This allows the CO2 to leave the bottles without more being created.
    • The needle valve supplied with the kit is basic at best. I ended up replacing mine.
    Very helpful pointers! Might go back to using mine soon after reading this!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Question Re: DIY CO2 System Aquarium Plant Kit CO2 Diffuser Generator

Hello

Can the yeast and a sugar method be used with this system? how all the yeast recipes seem to use one bottle for the mixture not two. So if i want to use yeast sugar and baking soda what mix goes in bottle a and what in bottle b please?

I'm disappointed with the citric acid method. Ie tried it several times it only lasts about a week if that. The assertion it could last a month in a 60 litre tank is far fetched.

The citric acid method is more expensive it seems because. Lot more is used 200g. yeast is usually 1 tspn or less. Sugar is about 200g but its not as xpensive S citric acid and bicarbonate mixed.

so please tell me way mixes to use in bottle a and b for the yeast method of co2 production please. I may as well give it a go before i decide to ditch this diy product, seems like a bad purchase.

Thank you once again ver helpful on this forum and polite too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Spain

If only lasts a week check the system for leaks.
    Hydrochloric acid can be used is cheaper and easy to find in supermarkets.You can use this system to produce co2 yeast, but if not repair the leak will not have co2 in the aquarium.
    http://lascosasdelkarlos.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/karloszaballos

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not sure if you can really get hydrochloric acid (HCl) at your supermarket but, i would advise against it as it's highly acidic and anything above 5M in concentration will start to burn through plastic.

I work in a lab and i am pretty sure it's a dangerous chemical. At 4 grams of HCl per 1000mL, it's already corrosive, and at that quantity, i doubt it would drive the reaction well.

I do hope someone can advise you on converting this to an yeast system, all the best!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Spain

Here you can find at any supermarket under the name Salfuman or etching.
    a solution is not 100% Is a 25% solution
    http://www.makro-haccp.com/es/data/e...ice/775333.pdf

If the system you want to use for yeast co2, simply put lebadura mix and sugar in the first container, for gas to generate pass to the second bottle, which only make the bubble counter function.

You can also put two bottles in parallel and generate more Co2

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

thank you for your help.

I can't see any leaks i will double check. I have managed to set up the yeast method following a recipe online which claims to last 3 weeks. I've never used yeast, it did take 2 days to get bubbles, i was about to give up. It doesn't generate bubbles as fast, and it doesn't seem to create as much pressure. Also the bubbles are smaller than those created by the citric acid method. Turning the needle valve doesn't get the bubble counter going much faster either,guess to do with the lower pressure?

It seems messier too, its the yeast and sugar. Citric acid is cleaner, but i don't mind as long as it goes for a few weeks.

Failing that i will have to save up for a pressurised system. Are there any sold on ebay from china that are cheaper than versions in the uk? in the uk they can cost from £60.00 and more. My tank is small just 63 litres.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Spain

I recommend a pressurized system if you search find good prices
    http://www.ebay.es/itm/Dual-Gauged-A...item4174aa79a5

Feedback Score
    Country
    Spain

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Thank you so much!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I bought the system after reading the post.
    The pressure is set to 1kg , 3 sec per bubble for 24 hours.

IMG413.jpg IMG419.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It seems like a newer version with 304 stainless steel canister is now available. Anyone is using this?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I think this product cost too much.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast