Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Suspect Brown Algae in Filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I think my filter is infested with brown algae (please refer to attached photograph) The suspected algae will always return in a mere 1.5 days after a thorough cleaning of the filter (I know this may remove the beneficial bacteria. Don't worry for I do add some back.) Any idea how to solve it?

I do know that brown algae is caused by inadequate lighting, low oxygen levels and excess silicates as well as nitrates. As far as I know, my nitrate level is close to a complete 0. My oxygen level is high for the fishes are not gasping for air. Lighting wise is in excess (23W for a ~2.5 gallon tank).

I will also like to ask if there is any algae eater that can be solo (with no company of other of its same specie) and small (a 2.5 gallon tank is not very big ). Alternative I can use shrimps right? However shrimps are said to be sensitive and I am not a very good fish keeper What about snails? I have some in my tank. Like 2 from I don't know where Even so, do we buy the snails or just pray that they come along with the plant we get?

PS: the algae in the filter is not affecting the rest of the tank (I think...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Suspect Brown Algae in Filter

Did you dose liquid fertilizers to your tank? Because I'll get this in my HOF if I dose regularly.
    ~~Steven ~~
    Another Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    2ft Tank ~~~Terappin Moonlight Gourami~~~
    4ft Tank ~~~Oto Nerite Snail Platy Zebra Danio Glass Bloodfin Cardinal Tetra Albino Cory Khuli Weather Loach Rainbow Shark~~~

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nitrate cannot be zero unless there is a very good test kit (cost USD100.00) that you are using

No algae eater is known to eat algae (huge amount)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xXXXx13 View Post
    Did you dose liquid fertilizers to your tank? Because I'll get this in my HOF if I dose regularly.
    Does SeaChem Flourish Excel and Flourish Tabs count? As far as I know, SeaChem Flourish Excel, on the contrary, kills algae when used in high concentration. The root tabs will not get into the water column for they only diffuse into the substrate. Taking into consideration how deep I have buried them, I doubt the tabs are the one feeding nutrients to these pesky algae.

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    Nitrate cannot be zero unless there is a very good test kit (cost USD100.00) that you are using

No algae eater is known to eat algae (huge amount)
    There is a reason why I used the term "close" when I said, "nitrate level is close to a..." I do know that it is almost impossible to have a perfect 0 for nitrate level (I take biology and chemistry in school ) because of the constant decomposition of substance (ie: fish poop)

NO! The algae eater is not going into the filter I just want something that can help me with keeping the tank glass clean (am a student without all the time in the world to clean things). The tank itself is relatively clean from algae. (Nope, I don't mean 0 algae just not that much that you can visually witness the infestation in contrast to my filter)

PS: I read that Amano shrimps are not as sensitive as I thought! However I am not too sure if I can keep them as a pair (as in only 2 in the tank).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    May I suggest Malayan.
    Cheap good and no need to think about color since they don't have many grades like their cousins.

Yamato yes have some tolerance.

If you want ramhorn. Foc from alot of folks or even me. Just post in the want section in marketplace.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chinjaysquare View Post
    Does SeaChem Flourish Excel and Flourish Tabs count? As far as I know, SeaChem Flourish Excel, on the contrary, kills algae when used in high concentration. The root tabs will not get into the water column for they only diffuse into the substrate. Taking into consideration how deep I have buried them, I doubt the tabs are the one feeding nutrients to these pesky algae.
    I doubt excel and flourish tabs count. I only get this when I dose profito regularly. What I did sometimes was that I just scrapped it of using my fingers and let them flowed into the tank (I think its not advisable). My cherries and guppies seemed to welcome these and they were feeding on it. The other way I do is to place nerite snail (depending on the size and space in your HOF) on the gutter (the out flow of the HOF) and it take care the cleaning for me. The con of having the nerite is that it will leave its hardshell eggs everywhere in your tank which can be unsightly.
    ~~Steven ~~
    Another Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    2ft Tank ~~~Terappin Moonlight Gourami~~~
    4ft Tank ~~~Oto Nerite Snail Platy Zebra Danio Glass Bloodfin Cardinal Tetra Albino Cory Khuli Weather Loach Rainbow Shark~~~

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The nitrate is near zero is probably because it's absorbed by the algae.
    Try to feed less.
    My fish list:
    BEC, L14, L27c goldline, L27d goldline thunder, L27 xingu platinum, L47, L90a, L160, L190, L200A, L239, L255, L330, L418,
    Steatocranus casuarius, Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma, Hyphessobrycon sp. White Fin, Puntius denisonii, Hyphessobrycon columbianus, Hemigrammus rythrozonus,
    Satanoperca Daemon, Geophagus sp. ‘tapajós red head’, Geophagus steindachneri

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    The nitrate is near zero is probably because it's absorbed by the algae.
    Try to feed less.
    Right... Didn't think of that! Dumb me I do feed less. I make sure no food is left floating around etc. Thank you any ways!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Are you sure its algae? Bacteria would also form brown layers in areas of water flow like the filter sponge

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Are you sure its algae? Bacteria would also form brown layers in areas of water flow like the filter sponge
    Considered that possibility before. I mean how can algae saturate the filter floss, turning white filter floss to pure brown. On top of that, the brown stuff is able to make a smooth layer covering the whole interior as well as the outlet of the filter. In addition, the water has turned a little yellowish brown and brown algae doesn't affect the water column. However, at the coarse sponge which water flows out from, the brown substance forms hair like structures. They really look like hair clogged up in the filter desperately to come out... Maybe it is both? I have the infestation of brown algae and bacteria.
    Sincere apologies if you find it annoying whenever I ask for the lowest price in town and I sound dumb at times I am still a student that's why.