Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: [nonfish] photoshoot at sunset way..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[nonfish] photoshoot at sunset way..

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    bored this morning, so went down to sunset way to shoot birds at the canal.

at 100mm

at 500mm

I also realised that without AF at 1000mm, I cannot manual focus sharp enough as well. *ie: can't tell how sharp it is..grr* so all those I took at 1000mm are trash..

more here
    http://www.tdsuo.com/gallery/list.ph...mp;u=230|4|...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    pic 1 is good, except the leg part a bit soft.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: [nonfish] photoshoot at sunset way..

[quote:6adda14d44="loupgarou"]

I also realised that without AF at 1000mm, I cannot manual focus sharp enough as well. *ie: can't tell how sharp it is..grr* so all those I took at 1000mm are trash..
    [/quote:6adda14d44]

What you need is the Angle Finder C :P it allows you to magnify the subject by 2X, letting you see more details.. thus helping manual focusing

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    is it caused by camera shake?
    or is it possible to change the focus screen? to split type.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you mean why the bird leg is soft. its probably the sharpening algorithm cannot find the edge in the brown, so cannot sharpen it.

if you mean why I can't focus at 1000mm, its mounted on tripod, the problem is I can't tell which is barely sharp/vaguely sharp/accurately sharp, although I can tell out of focus..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:78f15d91f7="loupgarou"]if you mean why I can't focus at 1000mm, its mounted on tripod, the problem is I can't tell which is barely sharp/vaguely sharp/accurately sharp, although I can tell out of focus..[/quote:78f15d91f7]
    This problem is not uncommon for tele lens. Usually it happens under the following case which might apply to you too:
    • 1) The lens is not bright enough. Usually happens when maximum aperture is not wide.
      2) Problem with dimmer lens get worse with use of TC lens, especially 2X.
      3) Lens quality is not of higher standard. Usually lens defects can become quite critical if it multiply under high magnification. Please also note that the higher the tele zoom range, the poorer the lens quality. 3-4X range is the best we can go, higher then that, quality are usually unreliable.
      4) TC lens if not of good quality, will enhance the blurness of such vision.
    Usually when the lens aren't that good or bright, we avoid using TC lens for image reproduction to minimise the flaws. Nature bird photographer usually learn about birds to get close range to them by field study/camouflaging/decoy/etc, for decent good shots. They would buy the brightest manufacturer lens of 300mm F2.8 up to the range of 600mmF5.6, with only several selective use of TC lens, to get the best of birds. 300mm/400mm is more of the common used, due to its weight, high quality and being versatile. Brightest bigger lens like 500/600mm are only used for hide/location shots, where its weight can drag anyone if they're on the move & hunting for birds.
    Anyway, if we're not that demanding and shoot for internet images only, all this factor will not be a concern to you, since its easy to get away with it due to its much lower resolution.