Country
    Singapore

Observation by me.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi bro...
    for the past 2-3 weeks i have observed something strange.
    i have Monosolenium tenerum (erroneously 'Pellia') and some pieces of it dropped onto my Elatine triandra aka APP around their roots area.
    over time i noticed that my APP that came in contact with the "pellia" are turning brown n rotting!! other areas that doesn't have any "pellia" are live n well.. can anyone who have these two plants try it out to see whether my observations are right?

for those of u who have Monosolenium tenerum (erroneously 'Pellia') aka giant riccia.. try this out..its quite interesting..
    any knowledgeble people out there know anything regarding different species of plants that can't survive in the same area???

curiously,
    Fazdli
    Cheers,
    Fazdli
    (St George''s Rd)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Interesting. I wonder if allellopathy is at work.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    its quite possible allelopathy is at work. unless more people try it out we may never know.. quite interesting..
    Cheers,
    Fazdli
    (St George''s Rd)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Fazdli, I doubt its allelopathy at work in your case. In a CO2 enrich tank where import and export of nutrients and organic matter are great, such things rarely happen. It might happen in a non-CO2 tank where water changes are less frequent. (maybe once every 4-6months.)

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh i see.. thanks for enlightening me.. peter
    but still the whithering of the APP still makes me wonder what may be the cause? coz only certain patches are turning brown. the rest are ok..
    lol...
    Cheers,
    Fazdli
    (St George''s Rd)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Fazdli, if you are still convince that it is allelopathy at work here, you might want to place some of the monosolenium tenerum near the healthy patch of APP leaves (do note that you should not block the light source to the APP but place the monosolenium tenerum beside it.). Make sure you keep up with the nutrients for the plants in the tank while the experiment goes on or else the results are in doubt. I'm still not convince that allelopathy can be at work here...

Oh, note that APP is a NO3 hog and circulation is important in big tanks so that CO2 and nutrients can get to plants in all areas in the tank.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i guess u are right, peter! maybe its not allelopathy..maybe its juz mu nutrient dosing or something...must check it up..
    thanks for the helpful info!!

cheers,
    Fazdli
    Cheers,
    Fazdli
    (St George''s Rd)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fazdli,

Have you changed anything in your fert regime or other things in your tank around the same time this happened? If not, it'll be interesting to experiment by putting some of the M tenerum in a healthy patch of E. triandra and see what happens.

While it's unconclusive about the role of alleopathy between plants and algae in the hobby, alleopathy does exist between terrestrial plants. I won't be surprised at all if it exist between aquatic plants.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi vinz,
    i'm using dr malicks lushgro n the macros that i got during the talk last year in eco culture.. the fert regime have been consistant with weekly 20% water change..
    with total respect to Peter's advice, maybe someone could just try it for fun. just out of curiosity. if the result is negative then it ends there.. lol..
    Cheers,
    Fazdli
    (St George''s Rd)