Country
    Singapore

Malesian Java Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, everyone,

In my quest to find its true identity, I'm posting a topic here on the Malesian Java Moss. The word "Malesia" refers to the geographic area from Sumatra island in the West to Papua New Guinea in the east. It encompasses countries like Malaysia, the whole of Indonesia, Thailand and the Phillipines. Click here to see a map. We know now that Java Moss belongs to the genus Taxiphyllum but the species name cannot be confirmed. To make a positive identification, Professor Benito Tan needs to see the spores. Spores are like seeds and they are held in capsules. Here's a picture:

The bud-like thing at the end of the stem is the capsule. The stem itself is called a Seta. Together, they are known as a sporophyte.

So far, I have received 2 samples of Java Moss with capsules. One came from Bob Warwick who lives in the USA and the other was from Stephan Mifsud who lives in Malta. The sample from Stephan was mixed with some Vesicularia so it wasn't of any use to the Prof. The moss that Bob sent is a species of Taxiphyllum but it isn't the same Taxiphyllum found locally. In other words, it was Java Moss alright but it isn't a Malesian Java.

If you live anywhere in the Malesian region, I appeal to you to take a close look at the Java Moss found in your tanks or in your local fish shops. If you can find capsules growing among them, please send a sample to me and I will, in return, send you Erect, Christmas or even Taiwan Moss. I'm offering the Taiwan Moss although I have only a little of it. It's a very beautiful moss and also very expensive. I would have offered a Downoi if it would tempt you to look harder for Java Moss capsules but it wouldn't survive the journey.

If you find the capsules, please be sure it's from Java Moss and not some other plant. Here's what Java Moss looks like.

A single frond

A whole bunch of Java Moss growing on driftwood

If you sent a sample of genuine Malesian Java Moss with capsules to me, I will ensure, to the best of my abilities, that due acknowledgement is given to you in the scientific paper the Prof is working on. In other words, the Prof will thank you, I will thank you and hobbyists around the world will thank you.

I hope the owners and moderators of this site understand that I'm not trying to direct traffic away from this forum to my own but in my quest to find the identity of the Java Moss, I want to reach out to as many hobbyists as I can. Thank you.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Malesian Java Moss

[quote:95b93bba4a="timebomb"]...

I hope the owners and moderators of this site understand that I'm not trying to direct traffic away from this forum to my own but in my quest to find the identity of the Java Moss, I want to reach out to as many hobbyists as I can. Thank you.

Loh K L[/quote:95b93bba4a]

Loh, why in the world would we think that?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    timebomb, maybe you should mention the the java moss will typically produce the capsules only when grown above-water?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c62d068911="joe"]timebomb, maybe you should mention the the java moss will typically produce the capsules only when grown above-water? [/quote:c62d068911]
    Why do you think Java Moss will only produce capsules when grown above water ? Even the experts have not seen not seen Java Moss capsules. Your startement 'typically produce the capsules only when grown above-water' is very misleading !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:11fa2cc12b="Gan CW"]Your startement 'typically produce the capsules only when grown above-water' is very misleading ![/quote:11fa2cc12b]

Gan, I don't think Joe was trying to mislead anyone. He was just stating his opinion, that's all. Although it cannot be confirmed that Java Moss produce capsules only when they are grown emersed, the sample that I received from Bob Warwick was grown out of water. So far, his is the only sample of Java Moss that's confirmed to be carrying capsules. Joe could be right but we don't know for sure. Someone out there could very well have Java Moss with capsules that are grown submersed.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Malesian Java Moss

[quote:0668af0771="vinz"]Loh, why in the world would we think that? [/quote:0668af0771]

You don't?? Well, I'm glad. Just want to make sure you all understand, that's all.

By the way, Choy pointed out a mistake I made in my post. Thailand does not belong to the Malesian region but nevertheless, it's close enough for me .

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:27d5103499="timebomb"][quote:27d5103499="Gan CW"]Your startement 'typically produce the capsules only when grown above-water' is very misleading ![/quote:27d5103499]

Gan, I don't think Joe was trying to mislead anyone. He was just stating his opinion, that's all. Although it cannot be confirmed that Java Moss produce capsules only when they are grown emersed, the sample that I received from Bob Warwick was grown out of water. So far, his is the only sample of Java Moss that's confirmed to be carrying capsules. Joe could be right but we don't know for sure. Someone out there could very well have Java Moss with capsules that are grown submersed.

Loh K L[/quote:27d5103499]

Joe, sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. I was trying to correct your statement because 'Typically' implies we know Java Moss produces capsules above water but in actual fact we don't.

But, yes, grow them above water, use hormon, overdoes them with fert, grow them in 25C and strong current... whatever. If you manage to get it to produce capsule, you will be famous !