Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Dennerle T5 tubes - worth the higher price?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dennerle T5 tubes - worth the higher price?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Looking to replcae all my lights in the planted tank. Looked around and decided to stick to T5 tubes instead of LED or MH, etc. Looking at Dennerle T5 but they are quite pricey. Anyone has any experience with Dennerle Plant or Amazon tubes? Are they worth the extra money compared to other specialized plant tubes (not normal T5 tubes)? They have that algae gap thing that cuts down the spectrum preferred by algae.

Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Dennerle T5 tubes - worth the higher price?

Are your tubes all high output? I would stick to Dymax as they're more cost saving if you're looking for 12000K type, or else can try Osram. Just my 2 cents, no offense to anyone.
    Fish keeping is not a good hobby unless you received support from your family to keep them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Stormz,
    Thanks for the comment on Dymax or Osram. Seems like they are daylight tubes and not optimized for plant growth. Please advise if I am mistaken.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by greenaqua View Post
    Stormz,
    Thanks for the comment on Dymax or Osram. Seems like they are daylight tubes and not optimized for plant growth. Please advise if I am mistaken.
    I was using those 12000K tube for my planted tank previously, but I'm just those noob in planted tanks, maybe the rest of the members here who have more better advice can address more about the tubes used in their tanks.
    Fish keeping is not a good hobby unless you received support from your family to keep them.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by greenaqua View Post
    Looking to replcae all my lights in the planted tank. Looked around and decided to stick to T5 tubes instead of LED or MH, etc. Looking at Dennerle T5 but they are quite pricey. Anyone has any experience with Dennerle Plant or Amazon tubes? Are they worth the extra money compared to other specialized plant tubes (not normal T5 tubes)? They have that algae gap thing that cuts down the spectrum preferred by algae.

Any thoughts?
    Hi threadstarter, may I know where did you see those Dennerle tubes? What're the specific model(s) from them meant for planted setups, e.g. Arcadia has their "Plant Pro" models? Are the Dennerle ones High-Output tubes?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Here are the links to the Dennerle T5 special plant tubes spectrum analysis.
    http://www.akvarieplanter.dk/?option...682&Itemid=198

Compare that to normal light and you see emphasis on Blue and Red spectrum where photosynthesis happens.

Here is Arcadia's spectrum..
    http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.p...n=en&sub=&id=4

It seems Dennerle's spectrum is shifted more to the right towards higher freq that plants need versus algae.

Feedback Score
    17 (90%)
    Country
    Singapore

there are several types and brands of T5 tubes avaialble in the market.
    Common brands such as dymax and aquazonic which is only available in high output option aside, we are left with osram, dennerle, ATI and arcadia perhaps.

1. osram 6500k tubes are probably the most used, efficient, cost friendly tube being used by aquascapers. A slight yellow tint on the colour of the lights. Cost : >$20 max available at Petmart, regular light shops. (ask for daylight Tubes, they are usually 6500k, which is closest colour to the sun's)

2. Dennerle - this i have not used before, thus unable to comment

3. ATI tubes have quite a large range from 4000k to 20000k up. of which 6500k and 7500 model are the most plants friendly. however, there will be a slight blue tint to the light even on the 6500k lights which make the tank ugly especially if you are growing green plants. Cost : >$40 currently ONLY available at NA if i am not wrong.

4. Arcadia/s "plant pro" tube is NOT a good option to invest in my opinion. Reason being, its Pinkish in colour! i know that its good for the plant, but its not nice to watch, is it? hahaha. maybe is can be put at the back for the red background plant, if you have any. Cost: >$40 available at NA, Seaview, Y618, Petmart etc.

Hope the above helps, even if it did not directly addresses your question. hehee
    Zack

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Where to get the Dennerle tubes then? Do they come in HO models? One thing that I do not like about the Arcadia Plant Pro is that the hue given off is a bit too pinkish; if the Dennerle tubes can somehow managed to provided a compatible spectrum while still giving off an generally "daylight" hue, I may switch to it.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Tried Osram, Acardia and Aquazonic stock tubes before. No experience with Dennerle because I think it is not widely carried by LFS compared to Acardia. My own opinion:

1) All can grow plants - including the 12000k Aquazonic. There might be a difference but I can't tell.
    2) All can grow algae - Had Acardia Plant Pro and Co2 ran out. Hit with algae within a day. It might be able to slow algae growth but I can't tell.
    3) They emit different hues. I actually like the pink from Acardia and when I use 1 tube Arcadia and 1 tube Osram, the scape looked most pleasing to me. 12000k Aquazonic too bright and a little glaring.

Net - the biggest difference I feel is how the scape looks to the human eye. No noticeable difference to me in growing plants or algae.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Dennerle plant should be pink Colour while amazon daylight in white colour. Don't think by using dennerle light tube prevent algae. I am using 3xArcadia plant pro with 1x 8000k osram T5, somehow still get green spot algae on tank. Agreed that dennerle is a high end product with better quality, can go for it if got budget.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sammajor View Post
    ...I am using 3xArcadia plant pro with 1x 8000k osram T5...
    Is the cool blue-ish hue of that single 8000k tube enough to counter the intense "pink-ness" of the 3 Arcadia plant pro tubes? i.e. even out to look neutral white?

Quote Originally Posted by sammajor View Post
    ...Agreed that dennerle is a high end product with better quality, can go for it if got budget.
    May I know in which aspects are Dennerle tubes considered more "high-end" than say Arcadia plant tubes?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Light tubes can be a hit and miss thing. I do not think Dennerle design + build their own tubes. Most probably they ask the contractor to build and relabel them. Likewise, Osram might be from Germany, but I think all tubes are build in China now. However, it depends on how they control the quality.

Personally, I bought 4 x 55W PL Dymax 2 years and 9months ago. They are still good for my ferns. I must say, I am happy. However, the quality of today might change, I don't know. Hard to say and hard to put it down who's good and what's worth it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

One 8000k is not enough to even out the pinkish light produce by Arcadia tube, did try before by adding in another 6500k osram daylight. It looks much better. Dennerle is well known as high end aquatic product, did not really study the light spectrum between dennerle and Arcadia. But the price different can be quite huge, maybe 50% more