Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

dirftwood qns

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi.. i just bought 2 new driftwood, and i realise it cannot sink in the water....

currently i soak the droftwood in water... is that the correct way?? is there any way the make the driftwood sink faster??

and i would like to know how much does christmas moss normally cost?? i came arocss a lfs and they are selling at very high price..

and i would like to ask wat is the requirement to grow moss?? how do u tie moss onto drftwood?? is there ani website to teaches u??

thnaks...

ahwei.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: dirftwood qns

You can place stones or rocks to help the driftwood sink faster. Pouring boiling water over it helps too.

Check out this thread for more infomation on mosses, http://killies.com/forum/viewtopic.p...419654f2974b3e

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    u can try petmart, they sell 5 dollars or u wan can order from tis

http://www.nature-aquarium.com/home.htm

i neber order from tis guy b4 though ....

just use string to tie, some ppl tie one clump together, some ppl separate them out one by one .....

i do the clump way .... faster, less work ....

as for conditions ahh ....

ppl say must be ard 26 C to grow .... but mine growin at 27.5 ... but not as nice as those 26 C one

hope tt helps

sam

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi.. thanks for the reply....

ya.. i notice that most of the moss the are selling are half dead... alot of brown... will they grow properly when i tie them up??

my tank is 27-28c should be ok?? .. they don need much lighting also and co2 rite???

the driftwood i bought is like those 1000 years old tree.."qian nia lao yao" those with thin branches.. are they suitable for mosses???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    To make driftwood sink faster, try the following in sequence:
    1) Drill some holes through the driftwood. More holes should be drilled at the thicker area of the driftwood. Drilling holes will promote faster seepage rate of water into the driftwood.
    2) Soak the driftwood in boiling water. The heat of the water will expand the volume of trapped air within the drifwood. The expanded air will then find its way to escape out of the driftwood.
    3) The above methods will not cause the driftwood to sink immediately. If longer time to soak the driftwood in water outside the tank is not possible, then attaching some weights (stone, stainless steel, ect...) to the driftwood & let the weights 'pull' the driftwood into the bottom of the tank. After sometimes, the driftwood will naturally sink even after removing the weights.

Regarding the $5 per packet of moss at Petm--t, do not be mistaken it as Xmas moss. Yes, the shop keepers may claim it to be Xmas moss. Believe me, it will turn out to be willow moss. As those sold from the Nature-aqua---m.com, I don't think it is Xmas moss. I had a friend who bought from the website recently & showed the moss to me. It looks similar with the one petm--t is selling. The only difference is that petm--t sells cheaper & healthier.
    Xmass moss, just like Taiwan moss & erect moss, are costly. I had bought Xmass moss at $2 per strain before. But I find the best one is from G-n at $12 per short tub. But if price is a concern, there is no issue in buying the cheaper willow moss or java moss. It's just a matter of personnal preferences.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just soak it in boiling water overnight. The next morning it'll sink.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    ahwei, u mean your driftwood don sink when you bought it.......funny leh...shld sink when you put into the tank as it is heavy leh.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Whether a driftwood sink or not after buying or after soaking in boiling water depends on the water contain in it and also on the water seepage rate of the driftwood. Every driftwood has a different water contain and seepage rate. A heavy driftwood will not always mean it will sink in water. A light driftwood might also sink even without any presoaking in water!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A boat is heavier, why does it float?
    Density!!!

I think soaking overnight with boiling water sinks most driftwoods. Remember to treat the wood with bleach to kill any germs on it. rinse the bleach thoroughly until u cannot smell any.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Another tip... weigh the wood down with something heavy. The pressure in the deeper water helps to quicken the process.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks guys for the reply...

actually i have soak the driftwood like 3 days already... did 2 rds of boiling water treatment over 3 days.. isit a must add bleach??? boiling water should kill all the germs already rite?? if not then i will pass for the bleach...

Barbarik,
    regarding the 5$ moss frm petmart.. i bought is not in gd condition le.. i think i wasted $5 liao.. its very brown and full of soil i think.. washing in tap water several times also no use.. still brown.

tat gut claim it is xmas moss loh.. arh...

where is tat place tat u recomended??

then where can i get cheap and healty xmas moss?? any forumers have spare ?? trim on demand type???

will need to moss once my driftwood sinks.. i think coming weekend bah...

thanks...

ahwei..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The boiling water might not get into very deep parts while it's hot enough. so only the surface germs might be killed. Bleach solution can stay there and take its own sweet time to seep in.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Pleae note that there are many types of driftwood in the market. Some will sink and some will never sink! Beware of "imitations" or cheap driftwood!