Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - Goldfish problem

Feedback Score

Newbie - Goldfish problem

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there .... i am new here and hope can get some pointers. i recently just started fish keeping (goldfish & medium Koi) in a 30gallon pond..with Ehiem pond external pond filter. my gold fish is behaving letargic, don't eat and just floating head down tail up. Recently two goldfish die from deteriation in the head. Currently i am using some salt and fishaid (treating bacteria) in a seperate pail...Thanks

Feedback Score
    IMO, goldfish & koi don't mix,'cos goldfish are slower than koi, slow to get makan.

did your goldfish have bloated body with scales protruding? this may be due to dropsy, quite difficult to treat. do quarantine goldfish b4 putting in the pond.

best of luck.

Feedback Score
    Thank you...though nobody will reply already lah...you mentioned drospy ...what is it, could not find this sickness (Sera). The thing is i don't know what medicine to use as there isn't any fungus or rotten fin or...what ever sign...fraustrated ...Thanks

Feedback Score
    Oh..found it Sera baktopur direct ... hopefully can find. really regrat my decision to buy this new batch from the fish farm..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    your goldfish is head standing in water?
    then it should be swim bladder disease.
    there is medication for that, think is called 'float aid'.
    can get from petmart.

if your goldfish has been head standing for a while already, don't think much you can do.
    can try to keep it in shallow water and add salt.
    reduce feeding frequency.
    don't feed with dry pellet food.
    soak it first.
    else feed with blood worms
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    May I know how many fish are you keeping in your 30G pond? Goldfish and koi are very "dirty"... the common mistake is to put too many in one tank, causing bad water conditions and they succumb to infection easily under stressful conditions. change water often. Aerate the water well.
    Ever wondered why farms can grow their fishes so big but die as soon as they are in your hands?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    30 gallon pond is not big...

1)how many fish you have inside and what are the sizes?
    2)did you cycle your filter and also your pond water before adding them in or did you add them in all at once with new pond ?
    3) how often do you change water?
    4) how often do you feed?

i suspect it may be overcrowding and subsequent nitrite or even ammonia poisoning..

Feedback Score
    hi psanya,

I setup & help maintain a very similar pond(40gal) and filter system for my friend,with Koi and goldfish, quite successful. But the Koi will be faster to the food and gf require smaller pellets. The Koi's poo will pollute the water most. Try to feed max 2 timesday only. Try not to overcrowd the pond. U will find its more fulfilling to keep lesser but healthier Kois and gf. And with lesser fish, maintaing will be easier. But eventually yr Koi will be too big for yr 30 gal pond. Adding some salt during water change is a must for me.

Think your gf has swim bladder problem, apply the low water level and add salt method by tawauboy. Partial water change may be required daily. Stop feedg for 1-2 days then follow up by feedg defrosted green pea, not too much. If problem persist, Interpet 13 (only in C32 may help.

Hope it helps....

[:] ,GF

Feedback Score
    Thank you ...my pond & filter are new.

Fish - there is 2-3" Koi, 1-1.5" Koi, 2-1"GF, 2-2"GF...total 7. I bought the Kois first and been living in the pond for 2 weeks with no filter & no problem.

Then I introduce the new GFs + change water + add new filter, then problem started. Amonia & PH is normal. BTW, my filter use Volcanic Rock (ehiem).

Now 1-3"Koi & 2-2"GF are infected with the syndrome - tire, minimal eating and 45 degree head down. I seperate them into a pail with salt and Ocean free disase away + Sera vitamin. I hope it is OK, but will definitely try the recomended methods.

BTW, does salt kill the biological filter...

Feedback Score
    pls b careful with Disease Away, it is potassium permanganate (KMNO4). It gets converted into manganese which is regulated by ENV as a toxic heavy metal.

did u observe the gf as having slightly tilting whilst they are at the pond? perhaps it was an inborn thing. You can try the methods as prescribed. hope they will do fine.

Feedback Score
    "BTW, does salt kill the biological filter..."

dont think so,else marine tanks will be in real trouble....

Jus curious... is yr pond able to receive proper sunlight? Carps and gf grow better with it....
    hang in there, whenever my gf fall sick..sian.. it will take quite a while for them to recover...but they will return as normal......

,GF

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    try to change some water first.
    30% every 2-3 days until your goldfish condition improves.

don't think salt will kill the biological bacteria.
    i used 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons to treat whitespot before.
    no problems.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Thank you my friends for the pointers...really 'sian' [] especially when u just starting out...i just put 3 tablespoons of salt into the main pond and hope they will be healthy. Oh my small pond only get afternoon sun (in balcony).

BTW, what brand of medicine u all use...i am thinking of sera..any experiences

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    seldom use medication.
    if you need there are brands such as ocean free, intepret, ...

try changing water and/or adding salt.
    helps in quite a lot of cases.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Just got myself a small 10L clear plastic container & wow [:0] notice that my koi is having a wound (shallow hole)close to the tail - about 5 cent coin - and my gf is having some 'shinning' scale + 'shinning' dots. Assumption, is it white spot and Chilodonella disease (Sera site [:] ).

When u all mentioned 1 tablespoon, is it flatten out or 'mountain like scoop' ? & mine home salt is "fine salt" (siem trading ) is this OK...

Thank you again.

Feedback Score
    ohoh.... not the salt that we eat, go buy a packet from a LFS specially for fresh water fish. Actually any brand medicine is fine as long as its the correct treatment for the specific illness. Wow... so many victims [] ...heehee, try to be simple ...maintain water quality, feed lesser now, separate the weak fish for treatment.gd luck.
    ,GF

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [quote]
    ----------------
    On 3/9/2002 12:05:44 AM

"BTW, does salt kill the biological filter..."

dont think so,else marine tanks will be in real trouble....

----------------
    hanwei, marine biological is different from FW ones.. and can take the salt content.. hehehe.. but a stupid question.. does salt kill biological bacteria in the filter for FW?
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kel it doesnt

unless you use like 1kg of salt per gallon

Feedback Score
    Oh no !!!, i remember reading that cooking salt is OK. I have been using the 'fine salt' for the past 3 days already...what to do now !!! must change all the water in the pond ??...sure or not...siow liao !!!.[]

one more Q..for the hospital tank, how much and often must i change water. currently i am changing 100% every day.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For the hospital tank, how much and often must i change water. currently i am changing 100% every day.

----------------
    [/quote]
    change 100% everyday?? how big is your tank man???
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast