Country
    Singapore

Discussion placement of chiller in cabinets

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Discussion split from this thread.
    Note to Sharkfin, kindly start new threads in the future. Thanks!
    Sorry to hijack this thread. A question to ask..... Why is it that some people are advising against putting Chiller inside cabinets? I mean most tank cabinets comes with ventilation holes behind to run wires. Is that good enough considering it would be facing the wall and is separate by only a few inches gap. Please help.
    Last edited by bossteck; 13th Sep 2012 at 17:48. Reason: moderation note

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: URGENT Chiller Problem

The heat must go somewhere, so if the chiller inside enclose cabinet, where does the heat goes?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is it not enough that tank cabinets are specially designed with holes at the back to run wires and hoses. Isn't that sufficient for heat to dissipate out? Helps if I put a small fan inside the cabinet?
    The thing is, it's extremely important cos i simply cannot have the chiller outside the cabinet due to lack of space in te living room and may have to downsize my tank and the cabinet from 3 to 2 ft just for space allowance. Kindly advise.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The biggest disappointment is the fact that I've went to at least 3 LFS when customizing the 3 ft tank and cabinet, emphasizing to them the importance of the dimension of the cabinet interior storage area being fitting for my chiller's size as well as the Co2 and Eheim canister, as I simply do not have anymore exterior space out of the cabinet. Not a single one had the decency or knowledge to point out that chiller cannot be stored inside a cabinet. Now, after learning about it, I probably have to forfeit my deposit, downsize to a 2ft setup. What a bloody disappointment and a big thanks to you all for pointing out what could be a disastrous setup. Cheers.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can look at some cabinet from fishy business. The rear has no plank or a empty space where I believe is made for the chiller in mind.

You may want to check the shop's Facebook page for photos. It will be helpful.

This is the one i saw in their facebook

Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That would still allow hot air to go back into the cabinet and be reuse by the chiller. What I believe to be ideal is to have a compartment for the chiller itself where the ventilation holes fit the chiller rear exhaust. The chiller compartment in the cabinet should be separated by a wall from other compartment.

Another way if you are not going to utilize a compartment is to have the chiller exhaust facing the side of the cabinet, with the side of the cabinet having the holes the same size as the chiller exhaust. The chiller will draw air from the cabinet compartment and blow out hot air from the side of the cabinet, breaking the circulation of the hot air from coming into the cabinet. It is better that the hot air goes into an open space after exiting from the cabinet instead of facing a wall as it might bounce back and goes into the cabinet if there are opening nearby.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That was spot on that issue most folks face when the cabinet is very close to the wall.

There will need to be some understanding for sharkfin on air flow to avoid same mistake.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Really appreciate all the great advice. You never stop learning new stuffs with this hobby, a huge contrast to my childhood years of just goldfish n tank n no filter and now wondering how I maintain the longevity of those fishes then. Things in the past tend to last longer I guess..

On a more serious note, chiller is definetely out for me now due to lack of space. I'll also down the tank from 3-2ft since water parameters would not be optimum for demanding plants like HC. By the way, are those 2 foot tank with cover and lights and Boyu cabinets suitable for planting? I know the lights are weak. Can we change the lights in the cover to that of a higher output?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I will be aiming for a 2 ft tank with Eheim canister and Co2. Any recommendation on a good Canister? I'm looking at 2217 initially for 3ft but now if I'm going for 2ft tank, is it over requirement in buying a 2217?