Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Avoiding New Tank Syndrome?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'll be upgrading my current 2ft to a 3ft tank . I intend to use the same filter (has been running for close to a year), transfer the water over, but I'd like to use new gravel.

I don't have ammonia & nitrite test kits, but was wondering if anybody could give an estimate when would be a good time to be considered safe to start moving fish into the tank (6 cardinal, 1 sae, 10+ boraras and new addition of 4 discus abt 2.5" excluding the tail ?

Thanks!
    ckchua

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Using the old water and old filter in the new tank will certainly speed up the process of bacteria colonisation.

Keeping the old tank running on an air pump, you can start transferring fish in 2 to 3 days - slowly. I had mine all transferred in about 3~5 days. No deaths. Test out with a few first.

Good luck.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    last month, i shifted all my fish, plants and wood from a 3 ft to a 3.5 ft tank within a day, using the same filter. The water was all new. But monitor fish and change water if you want to be extra safe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, if you're using the old tankwater and filter, you can probably transfer the fish in 2-3 days after setup to be safe. Just try not to stir up the gravel too much when you add in water. Also, don't wash the filter media so you have ALL your BB ready to establish in the new tank. Filter can be washed maybe 2-3 weeks later. I've done it with 3 buckets of old tankwater a couple times already. Everything settled in 1 day. Important thing was not to disturb the filter till new tank is established.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you are worried about ammonia and nitrites and not confident with your old filter media, consider activated charcoal, which is effective for absorbing them.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Helped a friend upgrade from a 3ft to 4ft tank. Took us the whole day to get the job done.

We reused the gravel and added another packet of fresh gravel for the top layer. Used 50% of the water from the old tank and added anti chlorine after filling up the tank.

Turned on the filter and transferred the fishes over a few hours later, no problems or fish deaths.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks everyone for the inputs. Looks like I dont have to wait weeks for it to establish itself
    ckchua

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:9440f8a267="Aeon"]If you are worried about ammonia and nitrites and not confident with your old filter media, consider activated charcoal, which is effective for absorbing them.[/quote:9440f8a267]
    Charcoal is effective mainly for organic substances. NO2 and NH3 will not be adsorbed.

Forget about using activated charcoal for NO2 and NH3.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Starve the fishes for a day... less poo -> less ammonia. If you are using old tank water and filter, you could do it in a day.

Make sure you keep the filter bacteria alive. They need food (ammonia and nitrite) and oxygen. So run the filter on the pail/tank where the fishes are temporarily stored. If its too strong, partially close the tap/valve on the filter output (never the input).

Anti-chlorine/chloramine is a good idea. Chlorine/chloramine can kill the bacteria we want too.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, Sir!

Thanks for the tips!
    ckchua

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore