Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Help on plant dying

Help on plant dying

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, i just started a 2 foot tank. i used a 27w table lamp, diy co2. I used little fertiliser, hoping to depends on photosynthesis.

1) I used a Co2 atomizer for my diy setup. Do i need to periodically take out the co2 supply or leave it there always? it generates abt 1.5 bubbles/sec.

2) My plant, actually few giant hygro. But i noticed it has been dropping leaves and those tat are left are slowly decolourising..they are losing their green colour to colourless and seems like "decomposing". tank temp is ard 28-29c. I am still figuring what is the thing that i do wrong.

I hope u guys can help me and i am sure u guys will! thanks!

btw my tank is abt 9gallon..thanks!

UPDATED - pics of my dying plants lol

http://sg.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...;.dnm=744f.jpg
    http://sg.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...;.dnm=6b94.jpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help on plant dying

Firstly, I am not sure 27W is sufficient for your tank. Maybe 36W or more would be better. Do some window shopping at different LFS to see what's available.

CO2 is normally needed only when lights are on. bubbles per second mean nothing at all.... you need to gauge your KH and pH to find out your CO2 level (best 20-30 mg/l). PLease read some of the links and articles in the Aquatic FAQ for more info.

Your plants are probably reacting to initial stress (which is normal), coupled with insufficient light. Try to get your light and CO2 up and see what happens. Plant more densely as well. Forget about fertilisation in the first few weeks.

so for a 9gallon tank..i need higher lightings? how long will initial stress takes place? thanks!
    [quote:238f824895="budak"]Firstly, I am not sure 27W is sufficient for your tank. Maybe 36W or more would be better. Do some window shopping at different LFS to see what's available.

CO2 is normally needed only when lights are on. bubbles per second mean nothing at all.... you need to gauge your KH and pH to find out your CO2 level (best 20-30 mg/l). PLease read some of the links and articles in the Aquatic FAQ for more info.

Your plants are probably reacting to initial stress (which is normal), coupled with insufficient light. Try to get your light and CO2 up and see what happens. Plant more densely as well. Forget about fertilisation in the first few weeks.[/quote:238f824895]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I can't say much else, only PLEASE go read up the FAQs and articles on this site to learn more. Only other thing is: atomisers will not work with DIY CO2, the pressure is insufficient. Use a simple reactor instead.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Transparency and yellowing in leaves is often a lack of chlorophyll which is caused by a lack of certain nutrients. As you are just starting out, your nitrifying bacteria have not colonize yet (normally 2 weeks, accelerate by adding old media or mulm). Thus there might not be enough nitrates. As you are not fertilising correctly, 'little' is not as good as 'enough', you might also lack trace elements. Iron, Manganese, Molydebnum, Calcium etc is important for plants to form healthy chloroplasts.

I suggest you start and healthy fertilisation regime after getting your lights corrected. 2ft (I assume it's 60x30x35cm) you need around 60-70W of well-distributed illumination. With that you might need to optimise your CO2 diffusion possibly by a reactor. You can still use DIY with a reactor, pressure isn't really important.

Do not put fish in yet, let the tank cycle for about a month.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Before you go checking your NPK and TE and GH etc.....simply go and give your DIY CO2 bottle a gentle squeeze. Do you see bubbles coming out of the atomiser? If not, do as Budak suggested, use a reactor and read the FAQ before attempting next option.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe those species of plants you planted need a higher maint-setup/more demanding?

I have a 2ft with a single 20W FL, I have H. difformis, polysperma and corymbosa "kompact" (amongst others) planted. I have to trim the polysperma about once every 2 weeks cos it grows out of the water into the lights. No CO2. I think it's doing pretty well, cos these Hygrophilas are relatively undemanding.

In addition, the thing about adding CO2 and more lights is that the importance of nutrient balance needs to be considered among other things.

thanks alot guys..

the co2 atomiser is working fine..tiny bubbles is coming out... looks like with enough pressure built inside..it will eventually diffuse out even if i am using diy co2

i am think of getting 2pieces of 20w Fl tubes..to replace my current 27w pl.

And i spaced out my plants like budak said..hope it works out fine

Just got my lushgro from my lecturer dr mallick.. hope it will supplement my nutrients. thanks alot guys..