3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Guppy of no idea what strain

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey all. My friend gave me some random guppies from his multiple vats and pails of guppies. Well after almost a year, I'm left with those that bred from those few. And I have only one fully matured male now. This:

Honestly I'm pretty happy with this one male. Do pardon the terrible quality. The 3GS's camera just doesnt cut it. Well I'm seeing new fry again which is really just awesome, so I do hope that I'll get some more like it soon.
    Just to be sure, does anyone know its strain? hard to tell from the pictures. There might be a small split in the middle of the tail. Not exactly sure it's a tiny split. Not a nip aor damage though noticed if for several months already.
    Hope you like it
    Last edited by jemswira; 17th Sep 2012 at 20:31.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Guppy of no idea what strain

I have 2 males and 4 females like this as well!!

I don't think our chapalang ones are pure strain but the closest I could find was Yellow Cobra.

Yellow Cobra:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah ours is probably not. The back half of the tail for mine is light blue LOL. The body looks quite similar though.
    Knowing my friend, he probably has like 10 different strains mixed together. His dad keeps them for the feng shui and not for the strains and breeding. Bought 30 like 10 years ago. Most of them are different strains LOL.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice variegated green cobra, kittycat. This guppy strain used to be popular in Singapore during the 90's when Gan Aquarium bred several varieties of strains and sent some of them for Aquarama. Try to look for a female with similar caudal pattern, I'm sure you can fix the strain over time.

If you are lucky, there are chances you might find interesting guppies in fish shops and they make good breeding programs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The split in the tail might be evidence of the double tail gene. Though, without a better picture, its hard to say more. Nothing to worry about if its a consistent phenomena and there are no signs of tail rot, etc..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.1, Jellybean) via Tapatalk 2
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Heh thanks. Yeah I was thinking it was a double tail gene. Hopefully Some of the future generations will have a more pronounced split in the tail. That would be nice