Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: seachem prime, mix and use immeidately?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

seachem prime, mix and use immeidately?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear hobbyists,

I just bought a bottle of seachem prime but I am not clear on this, it was not written on the instructions.

To prepare the treated water, am I right that:
    1. Prepare a pail of tap water
    2. Pour the appropriate amount of seachem prime.
    3. Mix well
    4. Pour the treated water into the main tank.

From step 3 to 4, can it be immediate or do I have to wait for few hours or day(s)?

Thank you in advance.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: seachem prime, mix and use immeidately?

Hi,

It should be fine to add the water to the tank immediately, as the chemical reaction that takes place is immediate. J
    ust make sure it is well mixed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Misty666660 View Post
    Hi,

It should be fine to add the water to the tank immediately, as the chemical reaction that takes place is immediate. J
    ust make sure it is well mixed.
    I see. Thanks for the advise.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi 14litre,

to me, that is the safer but more time consuming method. Sometimes for me, I'll simply just squirt the Seachem Prime directly into the tank after WC.... [But I'll squirt it at the water outlet to ensure it is well circulated in the tank though.] So far, my habitants in the tank are doing fine enough to breed till date... Whatever works for you bro, no definite method.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by 14litre View Post
    Dear hobbyists,

I just bought a bottle of seachem prime but I am not clear on this, it was not written on the instructions.

To prepare the treated water, am I right that:
    1. Prepare a pail of tap water
    2. Pour the appropriate amount of seachem prime.
    3. Mix well
    4. Pour the treated water into the main tank.

From step 3 to 4, can it be immediate or do I have to wait for few hours or day(s)?

Thank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by beetlejuice403 View Post
    Hi 14litre,

to me, that is the safer but more time consuming method. Sometimes for me, I'll simply just squirt the Seachem Prime directly into the tank after WC.... [But I'll squirt it at the water outlet to ensure it is well circulated in the tank though.] So far, my habitants in the tank are doing fine enough to breed till date... Whatever works for you bro, no definite method.

Regards.
    I see. Thanks bro.

It's actually my first time using such solution. I used to age tap water in a pail for weeks, a habit from my old ways of fish keeping.

Didn't realise the chlorinmaine (or something like that) until I read more on it. I always thought the only element from our tap water is chlorine and aging is all we need to do.
    from 14L to 8L tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i jus drain the amt of water out of my tank, put in the prime conditioner then wait for 10 mins then fill up the tank direct frm tap.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hello...

My feel is that, better let it wait for a while. I had some bad experiences, possibly with it. It's still safe to let the water sit a while before putting in...
    “We know very little about what happens to Belugas in the wild, and it’s only through aquariums like this that we actually find out that information.” Clint Wright

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've wrote in to Seachem to ask about dosage of Safe (powder version of Prime) and was told it can be use immediately since the chemical reaction is instant for chlorine and chloramine. However the ammonia binding capabilities is only for 48 hours, so if there is ammonia in your water source, you need to re-dose after 2 days to detoxify the ammonia again if the same water is not used. Also mentioned is that Safe will dissipate after 48 hours so no risk of overdose.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by freyster View Post
    i jus drain the amt of water out of my tank, put in the prime conditioner then wait for 10 mins then fill up the tank direct frm tap.
    Quote Originally Posted by elwaynetan View Post
    Hello...

My feel is that, better let it wait for a while. I had some bad experiences, possibly with it. It's still safe to let the water sit a while before putting in...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberkinetic View Post
    I've wrote in to Seachem to ask about dosage of Safe (powder version of Prime) and was told it can be use immediately since the chemical reaction is instant for chlorine and chloramine. However the ammonia binding capabilities is only for 48 hours, so if there is ammonia in your water source, you need to re-dose after 2 days to detoxify the ammonia again if the same water is not used. Also mentioned is that Safe will dissipate after 48 hours so no risk of overdose.
    Thank you so much, bros, for sharing so much experience and information.

These are very valuable information and I go forward in a conservative approach, using the same steps, I will keep the time lapse between 3-4 to less than 60mins.

Cheers Bros.
    from 14L to 8L tank.