Country
    Singapore

DIY Sandfall

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys,

Hand itchy, thought i would try making those underwater waterfall aka. sandfall.

So i bought some acrylic and silicone it together.

I'm open to comments, how to improve it and such, before i neaten it up and try it out!

Oh and i would like to know what you guys think i can use for the sand.

Here it is! silicone about dry already.

Dimensions: 2.5'' x 2.5'' x 6''

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: DIY Sandfall

This picture showed nothing but just a piece of an acrylic box. Can you advise how this thing work in drawing or how sand-fall work like? I'm really very bewildered about this picture.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

sorry, i got it working already. just didnt upload a picture. I will draw a diagram and post it working when i get home?

But to put it in words, there are 2 columns, the back column will have a air tube/stone going in to carry sand up. The sand will reach the top, and fall into the front column which is what you are suppose to see. Air escapes through the top of the acrylic box. The sand falling in the front /viewing column simulates a waterfall in an aquarium.

Edit: I also have a commercially bought version. I will run it as well to show you how it works!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Go search on YouTube, plenty of demo there.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Looks amazing. Waiting for pictures..

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    This picture showed nothing but just a piece of an acrylic box. Can you advise how this thing work in drawing or how sand-fall work like? I'm really very bewildered about this picture.
    Hi Eddy, Attached is a diagram of how it works. credit goes to fish-tanks.info. In there you can also see a winning aquascape entry that has a sandfall in it.

underwater_waterfall2_thumb.png

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    Hi Zaid right? Thanks for the pump last time. Here's the pictures so far.

The sphinx is one that i bought, needless to say it works alot better, all the sand u see there is actually flowing down!

While the one i made i temporarily pasted black oyama to make it more visible as i realised there were now air leaks in my structure, and originally too small of a outlet at the top. Hence, due to these factors, the flow rate is alot lesser, and the air quite messy. Thats why i had to tilt mine at an angle to get a clear view without the bubbles obstructing.

Anyway, here goes! looks like more sealing to be done, and drilling.

..But to be honest, due to design flaws, i figured out various ways to improve design from this.. Would be easier to make another!

DSC_0315.jpgDSC_0317.jpg

Edit: Sorry i didnt have another tank to do this in. so i just did it in a white bucket i use to fill my tanks with. haha.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry to disappoint you bro!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Ken90ken

Wow! I like your full detail in drawing very much.

What's kind of pump are you using to amplify your big "acrylic box" sand-fall project? Its must be a jolly powerful air pump you need for this, agree?
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    Hi Ken90ken

Wow! I like your full detail in drawing very much.

What's kind of pump are you using to amplify your big "acrylic box" sand-fall project? Its must be a jolly powerful air pump you need for this, agree?
    Sorry Eddy, that wasn't my drawing. However, mine is based on the same rough design. If the design is right, you don't need a very strong air pump. However if the design is flawed like mine, you can create more lift of the sand using a stronger air pump.

(In this case i can't, because of design issues, mine was spurting out sand infront, instead of letting the sand fall. I got a bucket with a small sandy base after last night. )

Here's a picture of the air pump i am using, costed me only 4 dollars, the air flow isn't very strong.

DSC_0321.jpg

Another important factor in sand flow, is the size and weight of the sand. For reference purpose, i am using Classica's Marine Aragonite Sand (Grain 0).

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

No problem man haha. I also wanted something similar to yours, watching "waterfall" in a tank is amazing. Too bad I don't have enough space to house one

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

No problem man haha. I also wanted something similar to yours, watching "waterfall" in a tank is amazing. Too bad I don't have enough space to house one
    It only needs about 6'' in height, and 2.5'' in L and W. But initially i built one because i wanted one in my 20x20x20 tank, and had to make a small one.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro,

I'm currently looking for acrylic and fish tank friendly silicon wish to check with you on where you had bought your?

Thanks!
    Good Judgement is gain from Experiences, while Experiences is gain from Bad Judgement Made!

Don't Give Up Keep Trying!!
    Nature Beauty

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by nature beauty View Post
    Hi bro,

I'm currently looking for acrylic and fish tank friendly silicon wish to check with you on where you had bought your?

Thanks!
    I bought my acrylic from dama enterprise. The price wise is okay, service is excellent. That time i bought per sheet of 1'' x 1'' (2mm thick) for $2 each.

As for silicone can just go downstair to hardware shop and buy. Make sure its 100% silicone, i managed to buy 85g tube for $5.

Actually you can just read the packaging for silicone, they will write aquarium-safe on it.