Country
    Singapore

Vivarium Newbie

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there,

I got a 1.5ft tank which I would like to create a vivarium. But the problem is I have 2 crayfish that has to be in there, I understand that vivariums are mainly built for creatures that can swim and also stay on land, so does it make sense to built it for crayfish? Or should i just leave it as a normal tank...If i do that, i cannot have any plants in the tank because the crayfishes will chew them up.

If it is ok to built a vivarium, can you experienced folks give me some ideas? please.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Vivarium Newbie

In my 432 paludarium, one crayfish was introduced and it turned my paludarium into a disaster. Verdict: NO. I actually have to drain the tank and remove some parts before I manage to remove the burger. However, if your crayfish is the mexican CPO, then it is a different thingy altogether.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

I think another problem is that the water area will definitely be too small for the 2 crayfish. Assuming the water area is half the tank, it will only be about 20cmx20cm base area, and assuming height of water is about 10cm, the volume of water is too small to maintain constant water parameters. Also, with such a small base area they will surely fight and you will end up with broken claws and legs, since crayfish are rather territorial.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi kermit13sg
    I suggest you do away any ugly crayfishes. If I were you, I rather wait for new batch of White Tree Frogs to come, maybe October or November. With regards to your 1. 5ft tank, can I check with you, is this an Exo-terra tank with two-front doors? Maybe I can you some pointers if this tank an Exo terra tank, and if you are interested in keeping ***. Keep me in post.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    Hi kermit13sg
    I suggest you do away any ugly crayfishes. If I were you, I rather wait for new batch of White Tree Frogs to come, maybe October or November. With regards to your 1. 5ft tank, can I check with you, is this an Exo-terra tank with two-front doors? Maybe I can you some pointers if this tank an Exo terra tank, and if you are interested in keeping ***. Keep me in post.
    wah bro, you have lobang for the frogs? I heard that the supplier is not keen to ship them here because of the low prices... Can help me get 4 pieces?
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Both GC and Petmart already ordered nearly 1k of White Tree Frogs hence together with QianHui total will be 1. 5k. You will have no problem to get four pcs but 40 croakers!
    Last edited by eddy planer; 24th Sep 2012 at 23:07. Reason: *** become ***
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi kermit13sg
    Hi Eddy

thanks for your reply, but it is a normal tank, not the Exo-terra ones. Well, I guess I have to wait till they conk off. Sorry, frogs are no no in the house...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by lucasjiang View Post
    I think another problem is that the water area will definitely be too small for the 2 crayfish. Assuming the water area is half the tank, it will only be about 20cmx20cm base area, and assuming height of water is about 10cm, the volume of water is too small to maintain constant water parameters. Also, with such a small base area they will surely fight and you will end up with broken claws and legs, since crayfish are rather territorial.
    Hi Lucas, thanks for your reply. To be a little more accurate, the base area is 40cm X 26cm. I know, that still seem small for 2 crays. Height, i can probably so 15-20cm. Water parameter wise, I understand these are very hardy creatures, one was in a tank with a dead pump for a long time and he survived. Anyway, thanks, may shelf the idea for now...Unless someone offers some good ideas.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe you can try mudskipper. They do roam around land area.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe you can try mudskipper. They do roam around land area.
    Hi eddy, thanks for trying to help. But the whole family is rather irky with slimy creatures..the thought was to introduce some crabs into it..but i cannot just dump the 2 crays.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro. Maybe you can donate the 2 crays to some school pond? For crabs, the vampires are the safest and best bet. I bought 30 plus pieces recently and they are doing excellent.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Little beautiful crabs are really excellent idea! However, the crayfishes will feast them in no time...sighs. If you can you can let it go on market place or donate to David, oops!
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    Hi bro. Maybe you can donate the 2 crays to some school pond? For crabs, the vampires are the safest and best bet. I bought 30 plus pieces recently and they are doing excellent.
    Vampire crabs are those purple color ones? Those are nice.

Little beautiful crabs are really excellent idea! However, the crayfishes will feast them in no time...sighs. If you can you can let it go on market place or donate to David, oops!
    I have to check with my son first, the crays are his... assuming i do get rid of them, will you guys guide me on setting up the vivarium for crabs?

I have totally no idea although I have seen and read a bit here and there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kermit13sg View Post
    Vampire crabs are those purple color ones? Those are nice.

I have to check with my son first, the crays are his... assuming i do get rid of them, will you guys guide me on setting up the vivarium for crabs?

I have totally no idea although I have seen and read a bit here and there.
    Just let me know the time and place. I have the purple ones, red ones and green ones. BTW, I am only available only every thursday night.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi kermit,

No problem with that, we are more than glad to assist or guild you along to create a beautiful vivarium for your Vampire crab if you do away with your crayfishes. However, I rather you do have another 1. 5ft tank for yourself and let your son to learn to keep crayfishes to build his importance of keeping, and he will be more responsible for his beautiful crayfishes. okay.

Alas, my two boys aren't keen on my White Trees and other critters, and they rather stick to their beloved PC games, whatsapp and their own sports at school...sighs.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi kermit,

No problem with that, we are more than glad to assist or guild you along to create a beautiful vivarium for your Vampire crab if you do away with your crayfishes. However, I rather you do have another 1. 5ft tank for yourself and let your son to learn to keep crayfishes to build his importance of keeping, and he will be more responsible for his beautiful crayfishes. okay.

Alas, my two boys aren't keen on my White Trees and other critters, and they rather stick to their beloved PC games, whatsapp and their own sports at school...sighs.
    Hi Eddy

It took me months to convince my minister of home affairs to allow this 1.5 tank, before this, the two crays were staying in their own one room flat. So to try for another 1.5 means I have to put in a "hopeless" application.

Now that he has a toy poodle, he has enough work to keep him busy so he may just agree to cut down his responsibilities...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    Just let me know the time and place. I have the purple ones, red ones and green ones. BTW, I am only available only every thursday night.
    alright, noted with thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

alright, noted with thanks
    with pleasure. Check your PM though

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Guess what, one lobster did a Houdini and died!!! I SWEAR, I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Guess what, one lobster did a Houdini and died!!! I SWEAR, I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

They know what you are thinking... hehe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast