11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question "Priming" of Chillers?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi fellows. Q1: May I know if it is good to fill up the chiller with (de-chlorinated) water before connecting it to the rest of the circulation (filtration & pumps) system & turning it on? If an external canister filter isn't filled with water when its turned on, typically the water level in the aquarium tank will decrease significantly as water flows through the empty canister & fills the canister up. I suppose the same scenario will happen with the chiller?

If filling up the chiller with water before turning it (& everything else) on is indeed recommended, Q2: how do we fill it, i.e. via the secured inlet adapter (the tapered stubby short "pipe" thing at the top of a HS-28A model)?

Q3: when there's an external canister filter involved, do we turn on the chiller before turning on the canister filter? As there's no pumping involved at the chiller-side?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: "Priming" of Chillers?

To fill the chiller with water, use a funnel to direct the water into the chiller. Switching on a chiller will not activate the chiller immediately, only the programming function. The chiller will start a minute after.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Filling the chiller without filling the canister (or having a length of piping between the 2 with air trapped inside) will likely cause an airlock and the canister will not be able to pump water to the chiller.
    Might be better to simply fill the canister, turn it on and let it fill the chiller and push water back up into the tank, while standing by additional de-chlorinated water for topup

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Filling the chiller without filling the canister (or having a length of piping between the 2 with air trapped inside) will likely cause an airlock and the canister will not be able to pump water to the chiller...
    Does the situation change if the chiller outlet is connected to an Eheim Installation Set #2?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    Does the situation change if the chiller outlet is connected to an Eheim Installation Set #2?
    you don't need such installation set.

what i did recently: fill up the inlet piping from tank to canister, fill up canister with water. the rest like chiller, other piping, even piping between canister and chiller are empty. power on canister, slowly adjust the inlet and outlet valves to start the flow. water starts to fill up the piping and chiller, once all filled up, power up chiller, done! simple as that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    No, it would not make a difference.
    The air is basically trapped between the 2 bodies of water in the chiller and the canister, hence restricting waterflow. I cannot explain the exact reason why it is able to do that and why the canister is not able to just force the air out. Alot of physics involved there, haha!
    Of course, if you can make sure that there's no air trapped between the 2 equipment, then it'll work too. I just find it easier to fill from the canister side and let it naturally fill the chiller.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The Installation set is to ease you in pouring water into your canister filter. Rather than carrying a fully filled canister filter from the toilet, it provide you with an avenue to fill your canister after connecting it. Those that are using small canister filter might feel that it is an overkill to have the installation set but those with large canister filter will feel it as an essential equipment to have.

It is ideally to have your canister filter filled with water before activating it to fill the chiller. Your display tank water volume might be lowered but topping up water would fix this problem.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Re: "Priming" of Chillers?

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    ...Might be better to simply fill the canister, turn it on and let it fill the chiller and push water back up into the tank, while standing by additional de-chlorinated water for topup
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    ...It is ideally to have your canister filter filled with water before activating it to fill the chiller...
    Thanks fellows; I now know what must be done.