Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: How big is your dream planted tank?

Voters
305. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2ft

10 3.28%
  • 3ft

23 7.54%
  • 4ft

66 21.64%
  • 6ft

90 29.51%
  • unlimited as big as you can go

116 38.03%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How big is your dream planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I wish that i could own an island with a river full of plants.
    Swimming in the river and admiring the beauty of the nature.
    What a relaxing thing to do.
    What's more no more fertilisng, algae problem, feeding and water change.
    Isn't it better.....haha
    Just dreaming........

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG
    But the maintenance part would be a nightmare!
    Naturally I would have someone else maintain the tanks, but hopefully a complete biotope in a tank would have a balanced cycle of renewal. Probably easier to buy a piece of land with a pristine stream[s] running through it… just as well dreams are free

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Have a look at this!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Great link, when I mentioned pristine stream I was actually thinking of NZ.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I remember once seeing a private house with a big pond outside and they have a nice basement with a large viewing glass. You can see all the plants and schools of tetras. NICE.

Actually, I would have love to convert one hdb room into a tank. Doubt HDB will ever approve of such.

Using a rough calculation, the room is 5x5x2.5m, the water will be at least 62.5 tonnes

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by budak
    Have a look at this!
    Great link, the spring looks just like the ultimate aquarium...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I want a 6ft but is afraid if my floor can withstand the weight of the tank.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Franz, there are people who do convert an entire HDB room into a a part of a tank. I've seen a 5x3x2.5 in-wall tank whereby the tank itself occupy a hole through the wall. The rest of the room is occupied by the equipment to run the tank.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher
    I want a 6ft but is afraid if my floor can withstand the weight of the tank.
    Kingfisher,

Can. You have to make sure that you distribute the weight of the tank properly with a proper stand, and you place it in a optimally safe place. Place it on or along (since most times beams have walls over them) a support beam. As for the frame, see http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=13440.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup...I 'm sure all of u have tanks of certain size already...dream alright..Mine is 4ft(vote)..any bigger...look at the maintenance point of view...getting rid of the algae on the glass ,water change, plants trimming will take u half of the day...that makes not much time for viewing huh...not to mention doing other things...haha

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Will die from getting too high after seeing the pics of the Pupu stream that Budak recommended ah...

Anyway, my dream tank is a 'L' shaped tank, at least 7ft long one side, at least 3ft long the other, 2ft wide and at least 2ft tall... Heavily planted on long end, thinning to moss on the shorter end, filled with scissor tail rasboras, discus, festivums, cardinal tetras, emperor tetras, spotted headstanders, cherry barbs, yamatos, panda corys, kulli loaches, badis sp., checker board dwarfs, harlequin rasboras etc...

But then, it's just a dream... Will never happen... Too costly, too difficult to maintain, water pressure too great at the bend, too heavy, will NEVER be approved for HDB flat... etc etc

Well, this thread IS about a dream tank, right...

For practicality, will aim for 6ft... and see if can push further!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would like a "tank" big enough to swim in...
    Remember sometime back someone built a "planted pool" in his property here, think I saw at it kille.com, there were some pictures of it until the owner demands privacy and the pics were removed, wonder how's it looks like now???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vinz
    Kingfisher,

Can. You have to make sure that you distribute the weight of the tank properly with a proper stand, and you place it in a optimally safe place. Place it on or along (since most times beams have walls over them) a support beam. As for the frame, see http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=13440.
    So, has anyone tried applying for a permit from HDB? How long would it take? How strict are they?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    HAHA, it's singapore Ministries afterall. They are not flexible at all, how strict they are?
    Let's put it as, "If it's not on the book, then its almost impossible".

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So, what are we supposed to do if we wanted a 6ft tank? Obviously, it's more than 600kg... Apply before buying the tank and then wait for a reply before we make th purchase?? Can the LFS or tank makers apply the permit? Can contracters apply for us when the tank is part of the renovation plans??

Do anyone know?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think u worry too much ... if the floor so easy to crack than u should move out from the place....what happen is earthquarke in Indonesia cause u flat shake a bit...i think the impact is more than a 6ft tank... hahaha

I put a 4ft tank and 2 tier 3ft tank in a row at my place (all heavy planted with substrate) u think it worst than 6ft! of course lar....so the floor also didn't crack ler ....hehe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anyway, some inside news/info...yr dream may come true!!...haha..however, its marine. There is a project currently going on to build a open water - marine park....1 that u can swim inside it(unlike the sentosa type)...It is build in-between 2 island...idea good, $$ available..now waiting for the singapore government to say yes only...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Convert one of the bed room into a mini gallery. Paint the whole room black. Use black curtain/blind. Have one 5ft tank on each side of the room and a easy-chair right in the centre of the room. All 5ft tank with hanging MH. Install air-con.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A tank that occupies 3 walls of a room, perfectly balanced so I don't have to do anything but watch fish swim around =)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A private small room, light by the sun in the day, air-conditioned, wooden panelling on the floors, a simple grey cabinet ADA-style, 2ft glass tank from ADA with everything-ADA equipment. A simple comfortable sofa in front. Silence all around and a pretty girl beside me

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast