Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: How big is your dream planted tank?

Voters
305. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2ft

10 3.28%
  • 3ft

23 7.54%
  • 4ft

66 21.64%
  • 6ft

90 29.51%
  • unlimited as big as you can go

116 38.03%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How big is your dream planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    ooh yes... can't forget the girl

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    My dream planted tank would be as big as i can get like swimming pool size with a front piece of glass, but realistically I would love a 5ft x 3ft x 2.5ft high its the perfect length and the extra width for aquascaping and the height is perfect for most plants to grow to the full potential
    Matt

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Since its a dream tank, I will be choosing as big as I can go. Perhaps the record breaking size of the Okinawa sea tank? They have like 3 WHALE SHARKS in there!

Also I will like a customised tank that lines the 4 walls of a room, with the only break in the loop being the door. Connecting the loop will be powerful canisters with the inlet from 1 end of the tank and outlet the other end, then the water will be forced to flow slowly but surely around the room, like a river.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A 7 or 8 footer with a shoal of shovelnose cats, an assortment of south american cats, a school of Altums and covered in all sorts of echis.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Germany
    Call me crazy, but my dream planted tank would be something very unusual. Something in the lines of 1ft height, 1ft depth, across the living room wall. I really like the shallowness that my current "1.5ft" offers, and the extended length would allow for almost any fish since it could satisfy even the ones that swim great lengths and would allow for a few territorial ones. Also, it would allow for a variety of different "areas" as far as decoration, planting and such is concerned.
    Cheers
    — Freddy —

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I already have my dream tank.
    I just need the dream house to go with it.
    That's much harder IMHO.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    defintely as big as i can , pretty thing i will never get enough . but take care of it is another problem .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I want 6 feet tanks,,,, one with hairgrass slopes, one with crypts and anubia and DW, and one with all the stem plants (but this last one not to be maintained by me - because i suck at stem plants). all built in low profile cabinet... different positions in the house.... and i want a vivarium the size of a room. ya like a garden. I think we can do this...have a spare room! put soil on the room, close windows, on aircon, have a sprayer,,,hehhehehe,,, joking~

Fauna: want to have goldfish in my planted too bad i cannot.
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If I had the choice I would like to have many planted tanks of different biotope... but if only one... then.... AS BIG AS I CAN GET and try to work out different biotopes within that humongous tank... possible? Hehehe....
    *DREAMING*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the result of the poll is rather obvious isn't it?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How big is your dream planted tank?

6ft, too large and I can't afford the stuff to set it up!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I will be contented with the giant Amano tank...however instead of Altum Angels, i will be keeping Discus in it...*drool*

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

wanted a 6ft tank for a long time...(too bad im only a student ) and HDB itself is not possible.lol. maybe move to malaysia and buy bunglow? hahas.

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Shaihulud View Post
    6ft, too large and I can't afford the stuff to set it up!
    True. The larger it gets , the more expensive things to buy.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by herns View Post
    True. The larger it gets , the more expensive things to buy.
    For me, the larger the tank the less I have to buy. Bigger tanks are more stable both in regards to water chemistry (i.e. need less filtration) and temperature (bigger volume to surface area ratio means it hold more heat than it lets out).

I would fit one powerhead to circulate the water from one side to the other and as many fluorescent lights as needed.

With a BIG tank, the Walstad method would work very well. If you want lots of lovely plants you almost have to small delicate fish and shrimps and the like. Low bioload, lots of plants. Some CO2 would be needed. I'm having good success with my 2 L coke bottle CO2 fermentor

Of course, if I had a BIG tank it wouldn't be planted. It would be full of Tropheus and other Tanganyikans. As those of you who have kept Neolamprologus multifasciatus before, you can't have plants in with them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

2ft would be nice

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneGenade View Post
    For me, the larger the tank the less I have to buy. Bigger tanks are more stable both in regards to water chemistry (i.e. need less filtration) and temperature (bigger volume to surface area ratio means it hold more heat than it lets out).

I would fit one powerhead to circulate the water from one side to the other and as many fluorescent lights as needed.

With a BIG tank, the Walstad method would work very well. If you want lots of lovely plants you almost have to small delicate fish and shrimps and the like. Low bioload, lots of plants. Some CO2 would be needed. I'm having good success with my 2 L coke bottle CO2 fermentor

Of course, if I had a BIG tank it wouldn't be planted. It would be full of Tropheus and other Tanganyikans. As those of you who have kept Neolamprologus multifasciatus before, you can't have plants in with them.
    If you decide to have plants later on with your big tank, I recommend you go pressurized CO2. DIY CO2 are only good for smaller tanks.
    LAND OF THE FREE.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

In my experience, one powerhead/filter strong enough to circulate water from one end to another in a large tank is too powerful at the outlet. You would need multiple powerheads/filters/outlets distributed throughout the tank to provide gentle circulation.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Amazing, this thread is actually 5 years old!

Anybody got their dream tank?
    My new dream tank involves eco friendly ideas.
    For example it's lit by the sun and uses minimal power with water recycled into the garden.
    Size matters and I think it should be about 8 ft with planted areas and also sandy areas and nicely aquascaped of course! *dreams!*
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Same here!!! Didn't expect anybody here to want to use their dream monster tanks for tangans.
    For me the max size for planted is 4ft cos i've always had issues with my 3ft planted for both low and high tech. Having a bigger tank for planted means more problems or disappointments for me if the issues of my 3ft is anything to go by.

If space permits, i'll have one 6ft x 2ft x 2ft overflow with an algae turf scrubber system for tropheus and another for the other tangan species. I currently have red rainbows, muragos and ikolas, all 20+ of them in my cramped 3ft. With a BIG tank you can do a good rockscape which will bring out the BEST in them. They are FANTASTIC fishes to look at - Beautiful and with Great/Lots of character!!
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast