Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Newb Needs Some Advice!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All, I just got an aquarium for the office and I'm now in the process of Cycling the tank.

I just got Marimo Balls for foreground broke them up into small bits and hopefully they form a nice carpet.

I made a bad move for the weeping moss by tying them overlapping with each other and I've got flame moss at the background.

Although the tank has been cycling for a total of about 1 day, the moss and algae seems to be browning abit.. Anyone can shed some light on this?

No ferts or CO2 used.. Just O2.. here are some photos!

Thanks guys!

IMG_1732.jpgIMG_1734.jpgIMG_1735.jpgIMG_1736.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Domentaius; 3rd Oct 2012 at 17:45.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Newb Needs Some Advice!

No worries about the weeping moss.
    Overlapping is okay so long as it is not very thick. From the picture it doesn't look very thick.
    Some browning is usual. The moss will adapt.

What is your lighting like? If it's too high, you might get an algae bloom.
    Can shed more info about your tank details?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Im using an Ocean Free Nano Tank 24L. It has 4.8W Led lights.

I currently leave the lights on 24/7 not sure if I stop that. Just being singaporean and kiasu. Haha someone can let me know if its a good idea.

Temp: 22 degrees

Substrate: Tropica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Newb Needs Some Advice!

I'm also baffled by the same question and I think there are various factors, which is why i can hardly find a precise answer and solution. I've noticed that tanks with lush and fresh green moss are equipped with chiller and strong lighting, so would assume that this would be the ideal setup and anything less will be compromise in growth. I don't think your light used are adequate for plant growth. So need to change to suitable photo lights with just 6-8 hours exposure. and since you are still at early stage, I would suggest that you trim off the moss that are sticking out. I would think that the new growth will look better with better adaptation as sateman has mentioned. Rightfully only thinnest possible layer of moss is required to be tied on driftwood.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok so I should trim the moss sticking out? Even those that are still Green?

And how many watts should I get for lighting? I have a study lamp that I use at the office desk, would that be a good addition? It's A 20Watt warm light, that's why the lighting does look quite bright in the picture. Getting the new tank burnt a big hole in the pocket so not sure if I can afford another powerful light. Hehe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

yes, at least I would take the risk to do so. if it doesn't survive, it's got to do with the tank environment, which will be the same outcome even if you don't trim.
    As for lighting, definitely study lamps are not suitable. Lights manufactured for aquatic plants are specifically high on the blue and red spectra for plant absorption to carry out photosynthesis. As for the wattage, maybe fellow members with experience of similar set-ups or LFS owners can advise better. With better lighting, you have to supplement with CO2. You guess you can use liquid carbon like Seachem Excel if you are not considering gas injection.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the input Tongyang, I will probably do a 20% WC tomorrow and monitor for the week. Will do the radical trimming if it's still brown and not growing. After all my tank only 2 days old, can't tell for sure what's wrong too.

Will keep you updated on the progress! Thanks again!