Country
    Singapore

Re: UP new Z-series Pro LED lighting

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by erwinx View Post
    i also found the led more blueish than the T5 it replaced, but hopefully, the colour is better for the plants.

p.s., i count 15+ fish. if that's a 45cm how do you manage the bio-load and keep the tank clean? very large filter?

Yup, its a 1.5 ft tank. I'm using Eheim 2213 for this. Besides changing water every 2 weeks, the plants & shrimps also keep the tank clean.

So far I never have issue. The worst is when I accidentally soaked the filter too clean & killing the BB, the next day will have bacteria bloom. But usually only 1 or 2 day & then the water will crystal clear again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bought my 60cm z pro led from seaview for just under 70 bucks. Happy with the price for it. Now trying to grow hc carpet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

60cm x 30cm planting HC with a single unit of Z series? Do update us on your result,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cherabin View Post
    60cm x 30cm planting HC with a single unit of Z series? Do update us on your result,
    Yup I will. Right now , the tank is not filled with water yet, so I'm sure that the light provided by a single unit is more than enough. The challenge comes after filling the tank with water. According to Urban Aquaria's blog, he finds that with 45cm (i think it's 45.... can't remember the number) depth of water, the light from one unit is still sufficient, so I will expect the same.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Re: UP new Z-series Pro LED lighting

Quote Originally Posted by xuan87 View Post
    Yup I will. Right now , the tank is not filled with water yet, so I'm sure that the light provided by a single unit is more than enough. The challenge comes after filling the tank with water. According to Urban Aquaria's blog, he finds that with 45cm (i think it's 45.... can't remember the number) depth of water, the light from one unit is still sufficient, so I will expect the same.
    The number of light units, amount of lighting and height of light depends on the type of tank setup you are going for after the tank is flooded... if its a low-tech setup with no pressurized Co2 injection and minimal fertilizer dosing, then i've found that one unit is usually sufficient for up to 45cm depth tanks as it matches the slower growth rate.

Putting 2 or more of those light units with long photo periods in a low-tech setup would pretty much guarantee all sorts of algae taking over (i've already tested that combo in my tanks) due to the imbalance of too much light compared to limited Co2/nutrients available for the plants to utilize.

But if you are planning to run pressurized Co2 injection and large amounts of fertilizer dosing, then 2 or more units (or even higher powered LED lightsets) would be recommended to keep up with those "fast growth" parameters, its all a matter of configuring and balancing the amount of lights to the Co2 and nutrient availability.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i am running 2 x 60cm z-series on my 30l 45cm tank about 5 hours a day. I find that a single unit doesn't give even lighting throughout the tank. I'm not using Co2 so I guess its my shorter photo period and liquid carbon keeping the algae under control?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by erwinx View Post
    i am running 2 x 60cm z-series on my 30l 45cm tank about 5 hours a day. I find that a single unit doesn't give even lighting throughout the tank. I'm not using Co2 so I guess its my shorter photo period and liquid carbon keeping the algae under control?
    I guess your tank is heavily planted with perhaps taller background plants overshadowing the lower foreground plants? In that case, 2 units would help create more light coverage when positioned at the front and back of the tank.

Having a shorter photoperiod in a non pressurized Co2 setup is a good idea when using more light units. Combining it with excel dosing and dense fast growing plant mass (which soaks up most of the nutrients) definitely helps reduce the speed of algae growth enough to keep them under control.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, interested in the Z20 for my 2 ft tank. water column is 30cm high. Do I need 1 set of the Z20 or should I go for 2sets.
    Plant in my tank are hairgrass, Marselia quadrifolia, Sagittaria platyphylla, sagittaria subulata and ranunculus papulentus.
    Need advice. Thanks

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Rokerites View Post
    Hi, interested in the Z20 for my 2 ft tank. water column is 30cm high. Do I need 1 set of the Z20 or should I go for 2sets.
    Plant in my tank are hairgrass, Marselia quadrifolia, Sagittaria platyphylla, sagittaria subulata and ranunculus papulentus.
    Need advice. Thanks
    what about the width of the tank? LEDs are fairly directional and if your tank is approx 30cm, you would need 2 if youre pumping co2 and want fast growth, else 1 should be enough for slow - moderate growth.

you can always buy 1 and try first, unless you can get more than 1 at further discount.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just to update this thread... i was browsing eBay and spotted new versions of the Up Aqua Z-Series Pro LED models being listed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-LED-Aquarium-plant-Light-16-White-lamps-8000-10000K-for25-32cm-tank-lighting-/271261904065

http://www.ebay.com/itm/34-6-LED-Aqu...-/281158051780

If you look closely at the product specifications, instead of using many 56mW 8,000k LEDs... those versions now reduced quantities of 0.5W 8,000k-10,000k LEDs instead.

The photos on the listings still show the current models with smaller LEDs though, so no images yet of how the larger LEDs in the newer versions are arranged.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 29th Sep 2013 at 16:56.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

nothing mention on the up aqua website , seem like half the power and 2 cm shorter ?
    recently i bought a 30 cm to try out , notice it doesnt have any spec sticker on it ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by limz_777 View Post
    nothing mention on the up aqua website , seem like half the power and 2 cm shorter ?
    recently i bought a 30 cm to try out , notice it doesnt have any spec sticker on it ?
    Yeah, i also noticed that some have spec stickers, some don't... probably depends on batch production.

I guess we'll have to look out for reviews by users once they get hold of the new version.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm, quick question. Comparing this to aquazonic t5 (30cm vs 30cm) which would be better? in terms of value for money.

Anyway, Do anyone know if a aquazonic t5 for 30cm cube tank can grow hc carpert properly? Sorry side track.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Daveyy View Post
    Hmm, quick question. Comparing this to aquazonic t5 (30cm vs 30cm) which would be better? in terms of value for money.

Anyway, Do anyone know if a aquazonic t5 for 30cm cube tank can grow hc carpert properly? Sorry side track.
    I've used both before, light-wise both are able to grow HC or glosso carpets in a 1ft tank (assuming that the rest of the tank parameters are optimal).

The main difference is the T5 lightset is abit cheaper, but will consume more electricity, run much hotter and you'll need to change the light tubes regularly as the light gradually dims over time... and it'll look like a gigantic silver alien spaceship sitting on top of your tank.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 10th Oct 2013 at 01:47.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I've used both before, light-wise both are able to grow HC or glosso carpets in a 1ft tank (assuming that the rest of the tank parameters are optimal).

The main difference is the T5 lightset is abit cheaper, but will consume more electricity, run much hotter and you'll need to change the light tubes regularly as the light gradually dims over time... and it'll look like a gigantic silver alien spaceship sitting on top of your tank.
    Ah! Thank you for your informative post.

By the way can I know what you mean by the parameters are optimal? What parameter do I need to specifically look out for?

By the way the lowest I have seen for the Aquazonic is $28,

For UP LED i saw $48,

hmmm, does anyone know of anywhere which is cheaper than that of above please pm me ! Thank you!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ah! Thank you for your informative post.

By the way can I know what you mean by the parameters are optimal? What parameter do I need to specifically look out for?
    Well, for HC to grow well, its like most plants... you'll need to have a good balance of macro and micro/trace nutrients (how much will require monitoring of the plants condition and adjusting fertilizer dosing accordingly, its better to supply more nutrients than not enough).

A nutrient rich substrate with smaller granule size (ie. ADA Amazonia "Powder Type") makes planting and rooting in alot easier for these plants.

Co2-injection and/or carbon supplementation (ie. Excel) will help it establish and grow much faster... its possible to do without those, but growth will be more challenging to maintain and much slower.

Also make sure there is good circulation around the HC and its not overshadowed by taller plants, its a small and delicate plant so very easily overwhelmed by algae attacks if conditions are not balanced.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Well, for HC to grow well, its like most plants... you'll need to have a good balance of macro and micro/trace nutrients (how much will require monitoring of the plants condition and adjusting fertilizer dosing accordingly, its better to supply more nutrients than not enough).

A nutrient rich substrate with smaller granule size (ie. ADA Amazonia "Powder Type") makes planting and rooting in alot easier for these plants.

Co2-injection and/or carbon supplementation (ie. Excel) will help it establish and grow much faster... its possible to do without those, but growth will be more challenging to maintain and much slower.

Also make sure there is good circulation around the HC and its not overshadowed by taller plants, its a small and delicate plant so very easily overwhelmed by algae attacks if conditions are not balanced.
    Sorry to hijack this thread, didn't want to create a thread just to ask this question.

I saw this specification of LED available on the market for $30, please advise whether this is sufficient for high light demanding plants?

Power: 4.5W
    Dimensions (about): 10.2 *3.7*0.98 inch/260*95*25mm
    Extendable bracket-300~max 350mm(11.8~ max 13.8inch) extend

Recommend for Fish Tank 300~350mm/11.8~13.8inch
    LED Quantity: high power LED 36pcs (White 33pcs; Blue 3pcs)
    Input Voltage: AC 100V~240V 50HZ-60HZ
    Output Voltage: DC 12V 500mA
    Lumen: 180lm
    Working temperature: 0~50 degree Celsius
    Viewing angle over 120 degree
    2 modes: only blue light on/all white and blue light on.
    Certified by CE
    One year warranty

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry to hijack this thread, didn't want to create a thread just to ask this question.

I saw this specification of LED available on the market for $30, please advise whether this is sufficient for high light demanding plants?

Power: 4.5W
    Dimensions (about): 10.2 *3.7*0.98 inch/260*95*25mm
    Extendable bracket-300~max 350mm(11.8~ max 13.8inch) extend

Recommend for Fish Tank 300~350mm/11.8~13.8inch
    LED Quantity: high power LED 36pcs (White 33pcs; Blue 3pcs)
    Input Voltage: AC 100V~240V 50HZ-60HZ
    Output Voltage: DC 12V 500mA
    Lumen: 180lm
    Working temperature: 0~50 degree Celsius
    Viewing angle over 120 degree
    2 modes: only blue light on/all white and blue light on.
    Certified by CE
    One year warranty
    Most likely not... the specs didn't mention the power of each LED, but with an overall wattage of just 4.5 watts and only 180 lumen, its likely too dim for anything other than low light plants (or just to view fishes).

I've tried before similar clip-on ones from brands like aquazonic and easy aqua, they are usually included with those basic starter tank packages, okay to view fishes but not really suitable for growing much plants.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 11th Oct 2013 at 16:13.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score

Tips to get the right LED.
    Note:
    Light intensive tank - 50 Lumens/Litre
    Least light intensive - 30 Lumens/Litre

1) Calculate the volume/litres of your aquarium
    2) Check with your vendor for the total Lumens of your desired light (dont trust Wattage)
    3) Compare the total amount of Lumens with the total amount of water

Some knowledge to take note:
    1) Make sure the LED fufill basic colour spectrum RGB
    2) When your light dont work, dont blame it on your LED. Most of the time your transformer goes before the LED.
    3) If you are planning to make a switch for LED, do make an effort to understand the product. FYI, good light does not come cheap.
    4) Make sure the LED comes with good heat ventilation - too hot dims the brightness and shorten the life span.

For hobbyists who have mid to large sized planted tanks, do prepare a deep pocket. Buy cheap and you may end up paying even more.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I found this thread to have useful information on aquarium lighting. The measurement they use is "PAR" value.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=160396

in particular see this page:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...160396&page=19

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast