Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Eheim vs Other Brands

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My new tank is undergoing DSM right now, and I actually already bought my filter earlier (Eheim 2215).

But itchy finger syndrome means I surfed some of the e-shops of the LFS, and found some interesting filters.

Came across a few newer brands in the market, namely Shiruba, Up Aqua etc.

Some of them have nifty new features like inbuilt water cut off taps (Shiruba), UV lights (Up-Aqua, SunSun).

Although Eheim is an extremely reliable filter, it's essentially no frills, so would you consider a switch to other filters? Eg, the Canister with inbuilt UV looks really interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eheim vs Other Brands

I am a user of Eheim canister filter, from Classic to Professional 1 ( 2222, 2224 ) to Professional 2 ( 2026, 2028 ) to Professional 3 ( 2075 ). I am also using other Eheim product like their pumps and other accessories. In my personal experience, I find the Classic easy and simple to use. My go to combination is using a classic canister and pair it with the Eheim Installation Set. I find this combination to be the best for me, ease of starting the canister filter and also the interchangability of the impeller between the Classic model.

In my experience, simple is better, easier. I have never have the need to use uv for the planted tank that I had before nor the ones I am setting up for. To me, some of the 'extras' are not needed. I am not influencing you to agree with me, just my own experienced I gather during my time in this hobby. I find this brand to be a workhorse. I have bought a branded pump from germany, for S$1000 ++, not a made in china brand, a real design and built in germany by german, with calcium by pass thingy, low wattage of around 40w with titanium shaft, 8000lt/hr and all the bell and whistle. You know what happen, it died 2 years later. The pump still looks brand new as I took great care with it, even the lfs I brought it from thought I did not use it. Long story short, I'm out of $1000, many owner from other countries experienced the same problem, some even had broken their titanium shaft, imagine that! Titanium shaft just snapped in a water pump! I went back to Eheim Universal pump in the end and never looked back.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eheim vs Other Brands

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    I am a user of Eheim canister filter, from Classic to Professional 1 ( 2222, 2224 ) to Professional 2 ( 2026, 2028 ) to Professional 3 ( 2075 ). I am also using other Eheim product like their pumps and other accessories. In my personal experience, I find the Classic easy and simple to use. My go to combination is using a classic canister and pair it with the Eheim Installation Set. I find this combination to be the best for me, ease of starting the canister filter and also the interchangability of the impeller between the Classic model.

In my experience, simple is better, easier. I have never have the need to use uv for the planted tank that I had before nor the ones I am setting up for. To me, some of the 'extras' are not needed. I am not influencing you to agree with me, just my own experienced I gather during my time in this hobby. I find this brand to be a workhorse. I have bought a branded pump from germany, for S$1000 ++, not a made in china brand, a real design and built in germany by german, with calcium by pass thingy, low wattage of around 40w with titanium shaft, 8000lt/hr and all the bell and whistle. You know what happen, it died 2 years later. The pump still looks brand new as I took great care with it, even the lfs I brought it from thought I did not use it. Long story short, I'm out of $1000, many owner from other countries experienced the same problem, some even had broken their titanium shaft, imagine that! Titanium shaft just snapped in a water pump! I went back to Eheim Universal pump in the end and never looked back.
    Yup precisely why i bought the eheim classic range in the first place, for its durability and ease of use.

Ouch, i can imagine your feelings when the titanium shaft snapped. While this hobby depends on a lot of our own input (balancing tank parameters, water changes etc), it can't hurt with a bit of intervention through technology (I'm really just lazy), which was why i got interested by the UV light etc.

Thanks for your sharing BFG!