Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[Newbie] Fish keeps dying

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, let me give a brief intro about my set-up first.

I'm a newbie to the hobby, got my first tank 7 weeks ago. The tank is 22.5cm by 14.5 cm by 18cm, OceanFree front curved tank. When I bought it, it included a 7W AquaZonic PL tube lamp with a Classica Crystal 1 (output 120L to 150L) hang on filter and some OceanFree anti-chlorine. I got a sponge to cover the inlet since I planned to keep shrimps. I bought some small artificial rocks and a windelov fern as well as some java moss.

Did the fish-in cycling with some neon tetras and 4-5 weeks later added around 10 sakura shrimps after confirming the cycle to be done. Unfortunately, 7 died the next day, and the population dwindled until there were none left the next week. Having spent so much on the sakura shrimps, I thought I would give up on the shrimps and added more neon tetras. Few of them survived, I'm left with 3 neon tetras. Few days later, bought an oto, which is still alive and well(kind of fat too). Decided since maybe I can try again, and added 6 Celestial Pearl Danios. All of them promptly died the next day. Getting frustrated, I did a large water change, and tested the water to confirm no ammonia or nitrite. Bought 6 more Celestial Pearl Danios and again, all of them died the next day. I do condition any fauna before adding to the tank for 1-2 hours by slowly adding my aquarium water to the container.

Tl;dr, 10 sakura shrimps lost, 3 neon tetras lost, 12 Celestial Pearl Danios lost. Help?
    Pics of my aquarium will be uploaded if needed.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: [Newbie] Fish keeps dying

Probably you need to also put in liquid bacteria to jump start your tank.
    Current tank : 2ft / Bogwood with plants / 7 cherry barbs / 1 C.pandas / 4 C.Sterbais / 3 C.Trillineus / 4- AFR fries ; 3 AFR adults (2 males 1 female) / 1 nerite snail

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by allblacks View Post
    Probably you need to also put in liquid bacteria to jump start your tank.
    Sorry, do you mean that I should add in liquid bacteria to jump start the tank cycling process? 'Cos I already indicated that my tank has cycled. Unless you're implying something else. If so, please elaborate.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there, before you try or add anything, can we have a look at the tank please. Don't spend on any other chemicals or fauna. Your tank is about 6 litres? Less than 2 gallons. 1.5 gallons to be exact. Pretty small tank. You cannot overload it with fauna. Not accurate but just a rule of thumb is 1inch of fish per gallon. So, you can see you might have overloaded the tank. For that size, base on the Celestial Pearl Danio which grows up to approximately 21mm, you can probably put 2 or max 3 Celestial Pearl Danio.

Here's a link to know more about this cute and lovely fish. They love to tango. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...-margaritatus/
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What type/brand of testers you got for testing ammonia and nitrite? Seems that not all brands and types of testers are made to test parameters accurately from what I've been reading... Maybe you can test for PH as well..