Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How close are you with your fishes?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How close are you with your fishes?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My cardinals will swim near my hands when I trim my plants and sometimes peck my fingers, .

My otocincluses are not afriad of my hands...

I see it as a rewarding experience for caring for my aquarium.

How about you guys?
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How close are you with your fishes?

[quote:93272fc95e="Aeon"]My cardinals will swim near my hands when I trim my plants and sometimes peck my fingers, .

My otocincluses are not afriad of my hands...

I see it as a rewarding experience for caring for my aquarium.

How about you guys?[/quote:93272fc95e]

My Friend, Aeon. What you are experience are just normal animals' instinct..checking out the newly introduced item into the tank. Some breeds are more daring than the other.

Sorry to say that you are the only so far that I know that can bond with Cardinals Tetras and Otoclinus. You sound like some Luohan Fanatic who thinks that their fishes have some numbers on them.
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My yamatoes pull the hair on my fingers. Is this rewarding?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if cardinals grew to about 6 inches long, you won't want them nibbling your hands.

Piranhas are just overgrown tetras, remember that.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Feeling close to fishes != LuoHan fanatic

sigh...

Actually, my fishes were quite timid when I first got them. Now when they do come close, it's quite nice.

Reminds me when I was fishing waist deep in Ubin, I can see mullets swimming pass and around me through the clear water.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:bdd473a7da="budak"]if cardinals grew to about 6 inches long, you won't want them nibbling your hands.

Piranhas are just overgrown tetras, remember that.[/quote:bdd473a7da]

So can I put a tiger prawn which is an overgrown Yamato to feed on my algae?? remember that too.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Aeon,

Just curious why are you not pissed off when the fishes start nipping your hand while your hand is in the water? Anyhow, I seriously doubt any fish would want to bond with us.
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:701f1633cb="Aeon"][quote:701f1633cb="budak"]if cardinals grew to about 6 inches long, you won't want them nibbling your hands.

Piranhas are just overgrown tetras, remember that.[/quote:701f1633cb]

So can I put a tiger prawn which is an overgrown Yamato to feed on my algae?? remember that too.[/quote:701f1633cb]

Hello, I am serious! Piranhas are part of the tetra (Characoid) family, and if you notice some species of tetras like serpae, emperors etc.... they are ready to use their little teeth to do damage to other fish or food. Scale em up to 6-7 inches and you will get a piranha equivalent.

Live and learn!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to add on if anyone knows not. If you have the means to observe close enough, emperor tetra is one of the tetra with the longest teeth. And if Bleeding heart tetra can grow 5 times bigger, it can probably be as ferocious as the Piranhas and rip your finger off while you feed it.

Anyway, if you want to feel closer to your fishes this way, try some barbs and gouramis. They will probably leap out of the water when you try to feed them.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I know I know, budak. Piranhas are Characins too.

wynx, should I take the scissors and cut the fish into 2 when it nip me?
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Aeon, you are not the only one. When I comes home from work in my work attire, the fishes would swim forward automatically. They knew that I would be feeding them soon. But if my parents, sister or other relative comes near the tank, they act blur-blur. It's like they are talking amongst themselves-" Hey who is that? Look at that ugly face! Where's the handsome guy?"

If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:bb7e2d0862="BFG"]Aeon, you are not the only one. When I comes home from work in my work attire, the fishes would swim forward automatically. They knew that I would be feeding them soon. But if my parents, sister or other relative comes near the tank, they act blur-blur. It's like they are talking amongst themselves-" Hey who is that? Look at that ugly face! Where's the handsome guy?"

[/quote:bb7e2d0862]

Yeah yeah, that's the kind of experience I'm talking about. Fishes seem to choose who they like, somehow.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Actually my fishes also like that. everytime see me also start going up to the surface. Always hungry.

I did a so called experiment, I ask my daughter to feed my cories everyday(kids loved it) after a week the cories are not afraid of my daughter even though she got her face stuck to tank glass looking at them eating. So that now at least I know there are other fishes that can recognise ppl other than arowanas.

speaking of aros, my friend had an RTG for 4 years, then when he got married his aro really did not like his wife, maybe jealous. When his wife went near the tank it keeps thrashing in the tank. Maybe coz my friend used to spend hours sitting in from of his aro and now spend less time with his aro.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Heh... there are plenty of arowana bonding tales out there, if you believe them.

E.g.:
    - Arowana pine to death after owner passes away.
    - Arowana committing suicide after owner decides to sell/give it away.
    - Previously healthy arowana found dead when owner returns home after miracously surviving a really bad accident practically unscath.

My arowana does recognise me as the feeder... I'm not sure about affection though. She doesn't like it, but she tolerates being touched or held by me. But then, never tried having somebody else put their hands in the tank or try touching holding her.

Fortunately, she's not jealous of my wife. Afterall, its my wife who paid for her (my birthday present). She (the arowana, not my wife) chases the maid though. :P

How do I know it's a she? A guessitmate based on some theory publicised on Qianhu website.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Re:

Well I am not lucky as you guys, usually when I stretch my hand into the tank. Only my yamatos come to greet me with a kiss, the rest just can't be bother !!!

[quote:44c03426="vinz"]Heh... there are plenty of arowana bonding tales out there, if you believe them.

E.g.:
    - Arowana pine to death after owner passes away.
    - Arowana committing suicide after owner decides to sell/give it away.
    - Previously healthy arowana found dead when owner returns home after miracously surviving a really bad accident practically unscath.

My arowana does recognise me as the feeder... I'm not sure about affection though. She doesn't like it, but she tolerates being touched or held by me. But then, never tried having somebody else put their hands in the tank or try touching holding her.

Fortunately, she's not jealous of my wife. Afterall, its my wife who paid for her (my birthday present). She (the arowana, not my wife) chases the maid though. :P

How do I know it's a she? A guessitmate based on some theory publicised on Qianhu website.[/quote:44c03426]

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:b4331adfd6="jeff_corwin"]Well I am not lucky as you guys, usually when I stretch my hand into the tank. Only my yamatos come to greet me with a kiss, the rest just can't be bother !!!
    [/quote:b4331adfd6]

LOL