Images
    Country
    Singapore

Need help in terracing

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone has any experience in doing terracing in a planted tank. I intend to do terracing for my tank. Can anyone enlighten me in how to do it and where and what materials is needed.

Thanks alot

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    some folks use those acrylic partitions which keep the gravel in one corner or a back part of the tank higher than the others. If you have the Dennerle catalogue (or I think their website has a pic), you find they use black "natural" looking dividers inserted at an angle to keep the gravel behind from levelling out.

Another method is to use woods and rocks as dividers, or even mini mountains, in ring formations that keep the gravel from spilling out. But I am sure there's more methods of terracing. I am not sure myself how those Dutch aquascapers do it with a terrace of e.g. Lobelias.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:b3aa441602="budak"]some folks use those acrylic partitions which keep the gravel in one corner or a back part of the tank higher than the others. If you have the Dennerle catalogue (or I think their website has a pic), you find they use black "natural" looking dividers inserted at an angle to keep the gravel behind from levelling out.

Another method is to use woods and rocks as dividers, or even mini mountains, in ring formations that keep the gravel from spilling out. But I am sure there's more methods of terracing. I am not sure myself how those Dutch aquascapers do it with a terrace of e.g. Lobelias.[/quote:b3aa441602]

Thanks budak for ur reply. Can I ask you a few question to clear some of my doubts?

Where can get the Dennerle divider? Is it ex?

I am thinking of using woods or rocks to form the dividers. Any gd websites to recommend how to go about doing it.

Using Lobelias as Terrace? Hmm... that is interesting.

So sorry to trouble you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

err...... i don't mean using lobelias as terracing.... but what those Dutch folks do is create a terrace strip on which Lobelias of similar height are arranged from foreground right to the back in an ascending terrace....

I don't know if the divider is available locally... but if you can get hold of a Dennerle catalogue, some pictures will show it, and if you are resourseful, i think getting or making your own version is possible.

For these dividers, be it wood/rock/fibreglass etc, I think as long as it holds back the gravel and doesn't look out of place, it's your choice on how to fix them in. Have fun!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think divider can be anything that is available to you. If they will eventually be hidden by the dense plant groups, it can be a little uglier, would u mind?

You can always try with wood and rock, as long as the sand can be held without flowing through gaps, they should be the most natural divider in an aquarium.

Lobelia is one of the most common 'Street' plant used in dutch style aquarium. Search for dutch tanks in foreign sites and you will see them.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功