Country
    Malaysia

Willow Moss or Taiwan Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone....
    just a question on the mosses sold by Nature Aquarium.... the $5 per "row" on styroform, said to be Taiwan moss by Chan....not that i'm doubting his professionalism lah...he is a nice guy and all.....but just want to learn more about the various mosses. He said those mosses are the same as the one directly in front of the counter, the tank on your right as u walk into the shop...looks a bit like java but much lighter green and finer.

Are those Willow or Java OR the mosss that is yet to be identified in one of the articles posted where some of our forumers took various samples to a Doctor for examination. appreciate it if someone can enlighten me a bit ...thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Willow Moss or Taiwan Moss

hi,

Chan is a nice guy, but there are few people in Singapore who can claim to identify mosses precisely, as one needs a microscope to differentiate the species based on cellular and spore structures.

I can at least say quite safely that what is referred to as "willow moss" in most books is Fontinalis antipyretica, a temperate climate moss which has never been offered for sale in Singapore as far as i know. Look it up on Google and you will see how different it is from the locally-sold so-called "willow mosses".

The reality of it is that: apart from what we understand to be Java, Xmas, Erect, Taiwan etc mosses, there are hundreds, if not thousands of aquatic moss species in existence. Also, many mosses are polymorphic, meaning that one species can have very different appearances, depending on growth conditions, geographical origin, health, etc..... so whatever one LFS says of its mosses is as good (as bad) as anyone's guess, without proper scientific analysis. Probably only what is known as Java moss (the one with longish strands) can be quite positively ascertained, but for all the rest, we will have to wait till the scientists finish digging deeper.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Willow Moss or Taiwan Moss

Like budak said, Chan is a nice guy and he is probably just using the name used by his moss supplier. I bought some 'Taiwan Moss' from NA some time back and the moss has been identified by moss expert as Singapore Moss.

Willow Moss is from the temperate and requires cold and flowing water for it to do well. It can grow up to 100 meter long in the wild !

I have not seen the real Willow moss in any LFS and there are only a handful of people in Singapore who has this moss.

Gan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Gan CW

Bought the same moss from NA too.

You mentioned its called Singapore Moss?, any chance you know the scientific name?

Trying to find out what environment it thrives on.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:5de8030421="byronshoh"]Hi Gan CW

Bought the same moss from NA too.

You mentioned its called Singapore Moss?, any chance you know the scientific name?

Trying to find out what environment it thrives on.

Thanks![/quote:5de8030421]

This 'Singapore Moss' can be easily found everywhere in Singapore, hence the name.

Just look closely and you will find it, I picked some from the ground and its growing nicely in my tank.

Check out the article on mosses @ http://www.killies.com by Mr. Loh.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    haz...I just bought the "taiwan" moss from NA....now I know they are Singapore moss...thot that $5 for a roll of taiwan moss is too good to be true. Any knows where I can get true "taiwan" moss? Is anyone from this forum selling? Please give me an sms 92713971.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    haz...I just bought the "taiwan" moss from NA....now I know they are Singapore moss...thot that $5 for a roll of taiwan moss was too good to be true. Any knows where I can get true "taiwan" moss? Is anyone from this forum selling? Please give me an sms 92713971.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:0e32703e="rocketshrimp"]haz...I just bought the "taiwan" moss from NA....now I know they are Singapore moss...thot that $5 for a roll of taiwan moss was too good to be true. Any knows where I can get true "taiwan" moss? Is anyone from this forum selling? Please give me an sms 92713971.

Thanks.[/quote:0e32703e]
    I believe Barbarik is selling Taiwan moss. PM him.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, Green Baron,

I have PM him once...but no reply. I will try again..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BTW, Prof Tan from NUS has indentified Singapore moss and the scientific name will be revealed in a forthcoming article on aquatic mosses. For the time being, we only know Singapore and Christmas moss belong to the Vesicularia genus.