Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[newbie] white spot disease treatment

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I am a newbie here (less than a month in the hobby), where I have a tank of guppies and shrimps housed together. Few days ago i spotted some whitish spots on the tail and fins of my guppy and did a research on this, and found out that it is a common disease known as ich.

i would like to know if there are any treatments that i can apply into the tank without affecting my shrimps?? do share your experiences here too.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: [newbie] white spot disease treatment

Quarantine the affected fish separately. Add in small amount of salt and those common itch medication from lfs. Should be cured within few days...

Itch is quite common for newly introduced/stressed fish.

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

water change, add salt , install heater if you have one. if the white spot doesn't go away, probably salt not enough, add somemore daily and stop when you see the condition is under control.
    Whatever you do, treat it in another tank, else u will kill the shrimp.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do google for the amount of salt to put in and how much to add when you water change. Other than salt you can use one of Sera's product for this. I've been succesful using Sera Costapur. Be careful, use lesser dosage than what the product instructed. Just my opinion, leave it for another week even when the white spots is no longer seen.

The other thought is the original tank will still have the ich parasite in the 2nd and/or 3rd stage of its cycle. As the 3rd stage requires a host it will die off. If shrimps not those crazy expensive ones, increase temperature to 30DC to speed up the life cycle to the third stage. I have no clue the affect on expensive shrimps to such temperature.

Remember to acclimatise the guppies back to the original tank water (especially when you are using salt) when you want to add them back.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi all...thanks for your quick guidance i would quickly get it settled today! Another question is does the white spot have any kind of effect on shrimps? So that i can monitor for or maybe treat them with the same method?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

also, can i use those cooking sea salt to treat my fishes?