Country
    Singapore

Cheap Arowana for 4 ft tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

My kids have been bugging me to keep arowanas in our 4ft planter. I know this sounds silly but can I keep the smaller ones that you can find in most LFS safely without them killing each other?

Also what type of feed do these things take?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Cheap Arowana for 4 ft tank?

For smaller pieces like 5-6" might be ok, but if you're referring to place a comm into the tank I wouldn't be sure whether will they tear up your tank when they grow up. Comm fights are common when Arowanas grow up. Also do note that your filtration might not be able to take it, what's the flowrate of the filration, is it running on canister?
    Fish keeping is not a good hobby unless you received support from your family to keep them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cheap Arowana for 4 ft tank?

Buy juveniles, have to condition from early age else they will tend to not like the environment.

There is some place that can inspire you in Katong 112.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Another question chaps, any special requirements for these fish? I'm running a Eheim 2073 with a resun Chiller set at 24 deg. Lights set on timers to simulate sunrise and sunset with dimmer periods throughout the day.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Moonbugs, i am not an expert in keeping Arowana, but Gold based and Red based Arowana need warm water. 24 degree temperature will not do them good.
    Not sure about silver Arowana and other Arowana like pearl, green etc... but i suspect they have the same requirement on water temperature.
    You will notice almost everyone and LFS has heater in the tank where they keep Arowana and set to 29-31 degree in general.
    If you can achieve healthy Arowana in 24 degree in a planted environment, we will definitely like to know how and will be happy for you.
    I only have one Red Tail Golden Arowana (aka RTG) and temperature set to 29 degree heating.. but basically my water stays above that at 30-31 degree.
    Truth lasts for Eternality and lies are just waiting to be discovered.

http://bravobb-aqua.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

for 4 ft tank, it can be enough to house 1 aro. the growth rate of juv arowana is quite fast & it can reach more than 12" in just a few months time even if you start with a 6"...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tank might be a little too small. I reccomend 6ft and above for keeping Arowanas.