Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: DIY Aquarium Cooler

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Ok got it. We now agree that Peltier chiller will work except it is too small for a 3 ft tank.. of course.. no rocket science calculation..100% agree it is too small.. Shine7's chiller only has 69 watts cooling (or about 1/40 hp) and CL150 only has 150 watts (or 1/20 hp). 3 ft tank will require at least 1/10 hp.. it would need 2xCL150 or 4xshine7... but isn't 1x 534 watts (300 watts cooling or 1/10 hp) peltier mentioned earlier able to provide that cooling? What about 2x534 watts peltier then? As pointed out by Skyjuice, it is matter of capital cost and economy to choose peltier chiller. Cheap but high running cost..only recommended as backup..Glad we get this cleared up..

Did some reading.. someone in this forum tried to use CL85 or CL150 and found cooling not to expectation. Suspect that Resun overrated their peltier chillers. Instead of cop of 0.75, one should just use 0.53. shine7 has a superlarge heat sink yet he can only get a COP around 0.53. He used TEC manufacturer's software to compute.. more creditable?
    Last edited by techno123; 19th Nov 2012 at 22:52.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I was right, YOU mis-read. My 2nd post in this thread already agree.

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Skyjuice peltier chiller might work for small tank, with low night temperature currently occuring but when the hot season comes around, a refrigerant chiller might cut down the times a chiller is activated.
    There was no need for us to banter back and forth if the professional engineer had read properly. If YOU had checked earlier as I had advised on my 3rd post in this thread, you might have found out.

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Please do a search in this forum regarding peltier chiller. It has been discussed before.
    Your reply far later in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by techno123 View Post
    Did some reading.. someone in this forum tried to use CL85 or CL150 and found cooling not to expectation. Suspect that Resun overrated their peltier chillers. Instead of cop of 0.75, one should just use 0.53. shine7 has a superlarge heat sink yet he can only get a COP around 0.53. He used TEC manufacturer's software to compute.. more creditable?
    However, this is not preferable.

Ok got it. We now agree that Peltier chiller will work except it is too small for a 3 ft tank.. of course.. no rocket science calculation..100% agree it is too small.. Shine7's chiller only has 69 watts cooling (or about 1/40 hp) and CL150 only has 150 watts (or 1/20 hp). 3 ft tank will require at least 1/10 hp.. it would need 2xCL150 or 4xshine7... but isn't 1x 534 watts (300 watts cooling or 1/10 hp) peltier mentioned earlier able to provide that cooling? What about 2x534 watts peltier then? As pointed out by Skyjuice, it is matter of capital cost and economy to choose peltier chiller. Cheap but high running cost..only recommended as backup..Glad we get this cleared up.
    Here in this forum, we actively recommend would be chiller owner to buy a step up model than the one that is rated for their tank size. The reason being during the hot weather period, which regularly occur in our island, the model rated for their tank might not be capable to keep up with the extra heat load that the hot period freely provide. If they were going to get a 1/10hp tank for their 3ft tank, it is recommended to get the 1/5hp instead, a model higher. No aquarist would want to be caught with their pants down when they realize their properly rated chiller couldn't keep up during the hot period. And sometimes, the rating provided online might not be correct so we err on the safe side. Buying a higher model cost more in the beginning but it beats having to buy a proper sized chiller and having the chiller constantly working and touch wood, it broke down and you have to go out and spend another large sum of money to buy another higher rated chiller, be it branded or made in china, their quality are constantly improving.

Hold on, I am not finished yet.

Also with purchasing a chiller model higher than what your tank size is rated at, it is also essential to have your chiller modified to include an external temperature sensor too. The main reason being, with the stock internal temperature sensor, the chiller achilles heel would fall on the pump or canister filter. If the canister filter flow rate is too fast or slow, the chiller would have a false reading of the temperature and might stop chilling prematurely. The dreaded stop start problem. With the external temperature sensor modification, the chiller is reading the actual water temperature in the tank instead of the water in the chiller water compartment. This will eliminate the stop start problem a stock chiller usually experience. You can have a low flow ( nothing below 500lt/hr for a 2ftx2ftx1.5ft tank ) and still the chiller will perform as normal.

So, where do peltier chiller fit into this scenario? No where, I'm afraid. Here in lies the endth of the lesson. Thanks for reading.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

.... shine7 has a superlarge heat sink yet he can only get a COP around 0.53....
    now i am not sure if you really understands COP.
    what has heatsink go to do with COP? i am sure that you agree that COP is the ratio of cooling power to input energy. there is no mention of heatsink in the formula.
    the heatsink is there to remove heat from the peltier device. shine7 most likely chose the heatsink because that heatsink is able to meet his requirement of dumping ~200 watts of heat (as a consequence of designing to remove 69 watts of heat from his 20 litre aquarium), is an off-the-shelf part and matches to the water block.

you are too hung up on COP. from the definition, COP does not take into account of other factors such as ambient temperature, thermal resistance of thermal junctions and thermal paste, losses from power supplies and losses from fans. it a figure of merit for heat exchanger. this may be useful if one needs to optimize the cooling/heating system. now, given a cooling device with COP of 0.75 or 0.53 or any number, would you be able to determine whether the cooling device can provide sufficient cooling power? i don't think so.

.... Suspect that Resun overrated their peltier chillers. ....
    no need to suspect. do some simple calculations to check whether the numbers make sense.
    take CL150 which has 150 watts of cooling power and a 2ft tank (54 liters)
    specific heat capacity of water - 4187J/kgK
    to cool 54 liters of water by 1 degC, the amount of heat to be removed = 4187 x 54 = 226,098J
    CL150 cooling power is 150W = 150J/s
    therefore, time to cool 54 liters of water by 1 degC = 226098/150 = 1507.32s = 25 minutes 7.32 seconds
    so can CL150 cool 54 liters of water by 1 degC in 25 minutes? what do you think?
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

About heat sink, this article should help one to understand more about Peltier. Peltier can transfer more heat across the when the temperature difference (delta T) between the hot and cold side is small. for example, if delta T is 55°C, it can transfer only 10W of power (in the form of heat) and 40 watts if delta T is zero. May be we all need to learn more.. rest my case again.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm

My little understanding.. peltier chiller is cheaper but expensive to run.. good to get a freon chillers. There is a lelong in Reefclub now for 2nd hand chillers, resun going for $80/= and Teco going for $120.. grab them.
    Last edited by skyjuice; 20th Nov 2012 at 08:19.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks skyjuice.. but your assistance will be misinterpreted again. such as you are the one selling the 2nd hand chillers.

Quote Originally Posted by skyjuice View Post
    About heat sink, this article should help one to understand more about Peltier. Peltier can transfer more heat across the when the temperature difference (delta T) between the hot and cold side is small. for example, if delta T is 55°C, it can transfer only 10W of power (in the form of heat) and 40 watts if delta T is zero. May be we all need to learn more.. rest my case again.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm

My little understanding.. peltier chiller is cheaper but expensive to run.. good to get a freon chillers. There is a lelong in Reefclub now for 2nd hand chillers, resun going for $80/= and Teco going for $120.. grab them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

OK. Cannot erase liao. Just treat my post non-existence..ha ha

Thanks skyjuice.. but your assistance will be misinterpreted again. such as you are the one selling the 2nd hand chillers.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,it has been almost a month since i last update about the cooler,
    so this is it, my final update.

i made a few modification to the cooler,
    i sprayed foam in the box near the tube to make it more compact
    and i added foam tape to make it a tight close.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...psdacde7ab.png
    http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4b8b5f3d.png

My tank average temperature is 26.5 - 27 deg.
    My tank water volume is 273litres.

Lowest temperature recorded is 25.5 deg on a cool weather
    Highest temperature recorded is 28 deg on a hot weather.

No fans are used during temperature recording
    and no fish were harmed or killed during this experiment.

Cheers!!!!

Merry xmas! and Happy New Year!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

wah TS, interested to see what you are keeping....
    4 ehiem for your 3 feet tank?!!! :O

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi fireblade, i used 2 eheim is for pre-fliter and the other 2 is for media.
    I have a total of 6 eheims 4 2222 and 2 2224. I used 4 filter the other 2 are for back up
    for spares. I run 2 filter at a time for 12 hrs using timer.
    Anyway nothing special in my tank,just plants and small fishes.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

actually... why so many.... 4 is quite limit for me already...
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i dont know why i have so many 2222s and 2224s
    Good question.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all,I want to start a TEC chiller project soon. I have 2 design so I dun know which design is better? My tank return pump is 1000/L, will be connect to the inlet of the chiller. Please help to comment.
    diy chiller design A.jpgDiy chiller design B.jpg

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kingic View Post
    Hi all,I want to start a TEC chiller project soon. I have 2 design so I dun know which design is better? My tank return pump is 1000/L, will be connect to the inlet of the chiller. Please help to comment.
    diy chiller design A.jpgDiy chiller design B.jpg
    Hi Kingic, it is better for you to start a new thread under the DIY section.
    regarding (TEC) Peltier cooler you will be surprise on how many inputs you will get..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk 2

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234