Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: where selling Coolie Loach?

where selling Coolie Loach?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone seen an LFS selling them recently? For those who may have seen them but don't know it's name, it's shaped like a worm about 6cm long, brownish body with a banded pattern. It looks like an earthworm, but is really a fish! Anyone seen any shop selling them recently??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    At Kingfisher aquarium, about 2+ inches long, one whole tank to choose from. kingfisher is at blk 32 cassia crescent, just behind singapore badminto hall.

I see that you're registereduser, good for you to register yourself. :P
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Y618 has a tank of it, large ones and very brightly coloured.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:bdcaf02b00="Kingfisher"]Y618 has a tank of it, large ones and very brightly coloured.[/quote:bdcaf02b00]

Saw some yesterday... quite nice.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    can also try AquaNature at Eunos, somewhere near the market.

Btw its Kuhli Loach :P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:471c2a4f06="Aeon"][quote:471c2a4f06="Kingfisher"]Y618 has a tank of it, large ones and very brightly coloured.[/quote:471c2a4f06]

Saw some yesterday... quite nice.[/quote:471c2a4f06]

Mine the colours look faded, was very tempted to get from Y618 some.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From the context of the posts, I'm assuming forumer KingFisher is not related to KingFisher LFS?

Anyway, it should be KUHLI loach. Not coolie... though I expect mine to eat food scraps with minimum pay (i.e. no pay). :P
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:bd7de86e03="vinz"]From the context of the posts, I'm assuming forumer KingFisher is not related to KingFisher LFS?

Anyway, it should be KUHLI loach. Not coolie... though I expect mine to eat food scraps with minimum pay (i.e. no pay). :P[/quote:bd7de86e03]

I don't have a fish shop.

Thanks for the tip-off, I got them today from Y618, WOO HOO!!

Here's my field report:

As reported, this batch from Y618 is TWO-THUMBS UP GOOD!
    The colors are very bright indeed! Also, this batch has the best body markings - dark, well-defined dark brown bands against an almost golden-orange body. And they are FAT. I have not seen such beautiful specimens for a very long time!

But catching them from the shop tank is hell. Bloody fast swimmers. They don't swim, they dart (my arms still aching...)

I bought nine of them, but was not too observant with one that started to turn pale in the pail(hey, it rhymes! :P ) just before aunty packed them. He died when I reached home. The rest are now swimming happily in my 2 ft.

This is my first visit to Y618. I must say, this is a friendly 'mom n pop' shop, definitely worth recommending and visiting again.

By the way, 'Coolie Loach' is a popular common name for these fishes appearing alongside the proper name, 'Kuhli' in some aquarium textbooks including, 'A Guide To The Freshwater Fishes of Singapore' published by Singapore Science Centre (ISBN:9971882256), in which there is an interesting snippet on how the name 'Coolie Loach' came about.

I don't think mine will breed in captivity, but if they do, this forum will be the first to know...until then, thanks for the great tip-off, and happy fish keeping guys!

CHEERS!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Hi registereduser,

Nice to hear your happy experience with these loaches. There are actually a few species in the genus Pangio with varying degrees of stripiness, but I like all of them, with their beady little eyes. Sad that a while ago, some shops were selling them as feeders for luohans....

If you do get them to breed (I read somewhere that frequent, large water changes may help trigger spawning), that would be an event worth sharing.

Thanks for the breeding tips - actually this is not the first time I'm keeping them, my relationship with these 'Coolies' goes a long way back. I know from experience that they live very long and are hardy, Hence, I'm getting them again after overhauling my 2 ft.

I don't know about other people, but I just get a kick out of watching these snake-like fishes -LOVE 'EM!!

Feedback Score
    yup agree that Kuhli loaches are very interesting to watch. Btw are these loaches farm bred? Why am I asking? Because of the price is low so I suspect these are farm bred......anyway don't think can it find in the streams of SG (or whatever tiny part left of the natural SG).

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:5df0e713af="budak"]Hi registereduser,

Nice to hear your happy experience with these loaches. There are actually a few species in the genus Pangio with varying degrees of stripiness, but I like all of them, with their beady little eyes. Sad that a while ago, some shops were selling them as feeders for luohans....

If you do get them to breed (I read somewhere that frequent, large water changes may help trigger spawning), that would be an event worth sharing.[/quote:5df0e713af]

some people are just crazy putting these fishes as feeders
    i used to have a couple of them always hiding in corners or filters

darn fast swimmer too

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    as someone mentioned there are a few species in the Pangio genus that resembles the kuhli loach. recently got one from Polyart, darn big and fat (will post pic later) which MrTree thinks might be Pangio myersi. The one native to Singapore is spotted rather than striped.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    this big fat one I got from Polyart (near C32

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

W O O O O O O A H!!!!!!!!!!.....THAT, is a BIG close-up! Very well-taken pic indeed! May I know what camera you used to take such a beautiful photo? LOVE IT!...my, my, my, let's make this thread the longest ever on the one and only Kuhli Loach!! WOO HOO! YIPPEE!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    nah, just my trusy water pistol (Canon G5) with a stack of +9 close-up filters. I can get about 1.44× magnification from the rig. Should get those guys like loupgarou with 1:1 macro lens and 2× converter, can get 2× magnification.

Hey, maybe the last photo should be submitted into database. Very nice full length shot of a beautiful specimen! Nice!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there is a general agreement to use my picture archive for AQ database.