Images
    Country
    Singapore

What is forum all about??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently, I am reading a lot of advise to forum to using the search function in the Forum to seek out info... This is a generally good Idea as it reduces repetitive Questions/Reviews/confusion/Arguement... Of Cos reduce the newbies waiting to be spoodfed...

I also read a post that advise forumers to do search in WWW search engine... If everyone were to do that... then what is the use of FORUM...?

I mean, If I need Info on how to tune up my Bike (for example), I can ask advises from Bike Kakies in my own STR forum @(forums.delphiforums.com/_str) and get responses (interactively) Sure I can search the WWW for info (really TONNES of info, sometimes too deep to understand)...

So if everyone search the WWW or in other forums like Arofanatics, Aquarealm and my FAV Aquaticquotient. Do you need a forum anyway?

While trying to cultivate a group of independent Newbies, let not forget we are also trying to help/share info in local context and spread the sheer enjoyment, relaxation, etc of our hobby to everyone!!
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What is forum all about??

As you probably know, there are countless possible questions for a newbie in any activity. At the same time, people who visit or manage a forum have limited time. So doesn't it make sense that basic information as well as links to useful sites like Tropica.com and the Flora database be compiled and conveniently placed on AQ, so that a newbie can browse the FAQs and see other people's tanks and plants etc.... , thereby learning more at one go, and thereafter (as if often suggested) asking in order to clarify what he is still unsure about.

I think you can see that there is no shortage of interesting questions (both newbie and non-newbie) that a forum like AQ can bring up, from sophisticated fertilising tactics to sharings on DIY LED lights and CO2 reactors. If the regular folks are to spend the vast majority of their time answering every single "what is this plant - can you tell me everything about it" or "my plant is turning blue and black, why huh?" question, wouldn't you expect them to tire and eventually ago somewhere else where it's not all Give and no Take?

Granted, I have been throwing out the idea of a dedicated Beginners' Sub-forum, where any clueless question can be posted (of course those responding can choose to write full-length answers or simply refer them to the appropriate AQ threads/links/FAQs) without receiving snide remarks from the likes of budak. I think this idea is still worth considering, and would prevent AQ from becoming like forums where you can see nothing but the very same newbie questions repeated ad nauseum ad infinitum on the entire page.
    Last edited by benny; 26th Dec 2005 at 15:27. Reason: fix quotation marks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What is forum all about??

Lim: I think you would agree that a great part of the enjoyment in a hobby is doing your own research and trying it out yourself. Or reading about the experiences of others. It is through this that we learn. Only when we can't find a solution, then we seek help. And from there we bring our experience and satisfaction to a higher level.

We can guide newbies along and pointing to them the location of the resources but cannot spoon-feed them for long.

AQ has quite an amount of relevent discussions on many topics concerning the planted tanks etc.

And - what's the use of a forum if members do not learn how to use it wisely?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

If you have searched for information on tuning up your bike, but got too confused by the available information, then fair enough, I don't think any of the lao-jiao (old birds aka experts) here is going to begrude you asking your question. Just state that you have done your searches, and how, and ask for pointers.

Be prepared though, that instead of giving you step-by-step instructions, the lao-jiao might just tell you "try searching using [certain words] instead." Instead of feeding you with information, they prefer to help you narrow your search but still making you do the research yourself.

That's still better than, for example, flaming you for asking stupid newbie questions. I'm sure you will agree.

Lao-jiaos in general hate questions like: "I bought a bike and I want to make it faster. How???" or "I wanna fish tank. What should I buy??" or "my fish keep dying. what happen????" Such questions really invite to-the-point answers like STFW (want to know what it stands for? Do a search.) Don't blame disenchanted lao-jiaos for responding this way.

If you want to know how to ask questions the smart way (and not get flamed), read this page.
    Last edited by benny; 26th Dec 2005 at 15:25. Reason: fix quotation marks
    Another quality, non aquatic-related post from mrs budak!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No I am not 100% against self-help. My own biking forum also get the same irritating Qs:

Q> How to make my road bike perform like a racer...
    A> In that case you should get a racer in the first place!

Q> How to make my bike more powerful...
    A> GET A BIGGER BIKE for goodness!

hahahha! During the early days of my forum, I flame these people! now I just link them to the relevant post or ignore these those "?" Qs like those above.
    Last edited by benny; 26th Dec 2005 at 15:23. Reason: fix quotations marks
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nowadays, unless the clueless newbie finds me on a bad day, I "politely" refer them to the FAQs, AQ database/archives.... A fair number seem to 'get it'......

Of course, there are some who seem to think forummers owe it to them to answer every question..... worse, their questions don't even have information for people to diagnose the problem.

I think I shall work by this rule: ask a smart question, and you will get a smart answer..... ask a clueless question, and if you persist on doing so after being shown the way to all the available information, and you will get a smarty-pants answer.
    Last edited by benny; 26th Dec 2005 at 15:21. Reason: fix quotations marks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Search engines should always be used before asking questions, for the simple reason -

"A fool can ask more questions than the wisest man can answer"

Loh K L
    Last edited by benny; 26th Dec 2005 at 15:21. Reason: fix quotation marks