Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Heeeeyaaahhhh...Setting up my new tank soon!!!!!

Heeeeyaaahhhh...Setting up my new tank soon!!!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Ok, not only am I new here, I am also a completely idiotic newbie.....have been reading like crazy and the more I read, the more I kena concussion!!!
    So I told myself: The only way to learn is to start slow, patience (at least I know this much...) but to start NOW....

So, me went to buy meself a 5-Plan 24"(L)x12"(W)x22"(H) tank, Grade 1 coral sand and marine salt. Wat I need to get tonite is a decent skimmer and was looking at a Weipro (2012? or something..bad wif numbers) or a Via-Aqua. Any recommendations? Will also b getting LR tonite (maybe just 10kg). Shld I get the hang-on type or the floor-placement type? Me got no cabinet. Wife will hv me for dinner......
    My 'desire' is to have LR/small amt of Corals and 3-4 fishes wif 2-3 shrimps. Overcrowding? dunno leh....

Will be washing the sand tonite (do I need to use a magnet to remove any metallic stuff in the sand? I was told by some that this is impt.
    wash sand put in tank (1") and start to add pre-mixed saltwater.
    Will use hygrometer to chk salinity levels.
    Add LR. Most probably will install a small powerhead to 'circulate' the water a 3 days.
    4th day: turn on skimmer
    14th day: check ph, NH4 and NO2
    15th day: top-up water 20% , rinse filters
    30th day: check ph, NO2 (shld be 0) n measure NO3 reading
    change water 20% to maintain nitrate levels
    42nd day: check ph if ok, tank is established and can add 1 fish weekly
    60th day: add corals

Note: during the cycling period, i will not switch on lights, rite?
    So, any comments on the above? Am sure I may have left out something...
    btw, wat lightings shld i get? I was thinking of the 2x55w PL lights (Blue&White). Is that sufficient or too hot?

water top-up frequency: monthly - ok? of cos, assuming that all necessary readings have been taken (on daily basis-overkill?)

sorry, my brain cells must messed up.....thoughts running loose

Advice much appreciated. Pls dun flame me....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Let me share on what I know during my 'research'.

Your tank is 2ft right?( I've misplaced my measuring tape) A weipro 2011 is recommended. 2012 is for 2ft onward if I'm not wrong. This skimmer need a 2500lt/hr pump head for maximum efficiency. For others who uses less than 2000lt/hr , get 'teh-o' like skimmate. You want it to be like 'kopi-o' color skimmate. I believe during cycling period, the skimmer should not be activated.

I'm still researching on setting 1 up and will go the main tank+sump way. Hope this small tips helps!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    imo, 2012 is better, overskimming is better than under skimmed.... a 3-4 inch DSB with 0 sand is reccommeded, but for the 2ft tank, 4 inch will take up 2 much water space...

thanks for the response.
    can anyone advise me if wat i'm doing is correct?

btw, my 2ft tank needs abt 60l or 16 US gal of saltwater

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    do not add any LR in.. rather, use a prawn to start the cycling process.. u can speed up your cycling process if u can get a handful of "live" sand to seed your tank.

yes, no activation of skimmer during cycling period. LIghts can be left on... u can add powerhead to create current but u must still wait for your filter to mature.. then consider adding LR...and slowly LS.

For 2ft tank, watch your bio-load, 2-3 fishes, what is the size u are talking abt? shrimps are fine... but they are relatively more sensitive than fishes...
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Re:

Thanks kelstorm. My response in italics.
    [quote:c681f1b1ca="kelstorm"]do not add any LR in.. rather, use a prawn to start the cycling process.. u can speed up your cycling process if u can get a handful of "live" sand to seed your tank.

wanted to add prawn then add LR but was told to use biostart then add LR. friend told me no need prawn. i want to do it right n not take shortcuts.

yes, no activation of skimmer during cycling period.

LFS told me to start skimmer straightaway....just chemipure and denitrate into filter compartments of my Via-Aqua PS switch on immediately...
    LIghts can be left on... u can add powerhead to create current but u must still wait for your filter to mature.. then consider adding LR...and slowly LS.

For 2ft tank, watch your bio-load, 2-3 fishes, what is the size u are talking abt? shrimps are fine... but they are relatively more sensitive than fishes...[/quote:c681f1b1ca]

the setup is for my kids so am adding abt 3-5 fishes (abt 1" size) and 3-4 shrimps. No pistols/boxers. For fishes, a small percula clown, fire goby, and 2-3 more reef-friendly fishes.
    For corals, adding small brain, prata, mushroom,Octo, Bubbles, Jewel and leather. Not too sure if the 2ft can contain all these corals.

Any recommendations?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

wanted to add prawn then add LR but was told to use biostart then add LR. friend told me no need prawn. i want to do it right n not take shortcuts.
    I never believe in those biostart. Marine aquaria is unlike FW where u can start right away, if u do not do the proper cycling, u are in for lots of pain and find that it is very expensive coz the fishes and LS are gonna die constantly on u. It is your call, I cycled my tank for 6 weeks. What makes u think that by using Biostart, it can shorten the cycling period?

LFS told me to start skimmer straightaway....just chemipure and denitrate into filter compartments of my Via-Aqua PS switch on immediately...
    Chemipure is not really suitable for SW. Just being curious, what is there to skim when ur tank is empty? skimming is to remove the dissolved wastes that cannot be removed by the filter. In the first place, the filter is not even fully setup

the setup is for my kids so am adding abt 3-5 fishes (abt 1" size) and 3-4 shrimps. No pistols/boxers. For fishes, a small percula clown, fire goby, and 2-3 more reef-friendly fishes.
    For corals, adding small brain, prata, mushroom,Octo, Bubbles, Jewel and leather. Not too sure if the 2ft can contain all these corals.
    what kind of lights are u think of getting for all these hard corals? yes 2ft can house all these corals but watch the water quality.[/b]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Re:

[quote:443f7ae599="kelstorm"]wanted to add prawn then add LR but was told to use biostart then add LR. friend told me no need prawn. i want to do it right n not take shortcuts.
    I never believe in those biostart. Marine aquaria is unlike FW where u can start right away, if u do not do the proper cycling, u are in for lots of pain and find that it is very expensive coz the fishes and LS are gonna die constantly on u. It is your call, I cycled my tank for 6 weeks. What makes u think that by using Biostart, it can shorten the cycling period?

Fully Agree....

Chemipure is not really suitable for SW. Just being curious, what is there to skim when ur tank is empty? skimming is to remove the dissolved wastes that cannot be removed by the filter. In the first place, the filter is not even fully setup

So I may have gooten ripped off by the LFS buying the Chemipure & Denitrates...sigh..

what kind of lights are u think of getting for all these hard corals? yes 2ft can house all these corals but watch the water quality.[/b][/quote:443f7ae599]

For lights...dunno whether kena con...bought 2 x 15W Arcadia Marine Blue lights....keeping fingers crossed...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

For lights...dunno whether kena con...bought 2 x 15W Arcadia Marine Blue lights....keeping fingers crossed...
    What abt the white lights? none??? what is the kelvins for the arcadia?

Re:

[quote:264e9c3091="kelstorm"]
    What abt the white lights? none??? what is the kelvins for the arcadia?[/quote:264e9c3091]

funny, checked the box and doesnt seem to indicate the kelvins (xxxxxk) on it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:d322c5d6="zorro18"][quote:d322c5d6="kelstorm"]
    What abt the white lights? none??? what is the kelvins for the arcadia?[/quote:d322c5d6]

funny, checked the box and doesnt seem to indicate the kelvins (xxxxxk) on it.[/quote:d322c5d6]
    strange.. never mind.. do consider white lights as well..