Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Unhappy Why did my Pleco Jump??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just found out tonight that my prize pleco jumped out of the tank sometime between last night and today and Died behind it. Not sure why or how... this thing has been my pride of my tank since it started to grow. It was bigger than I thought it could get in a small tank. The one my sister bought is the same as mine was but hers has never grown. It had beautiful markings too. Unfortunately, I found him tonight dead and dehydrated behind the tank Why would this happen? I have 2 redeye tetras my wife said have been trying to move into his log??? Do you think he was stressed by those little things? My water parameters are all correct and I do water changes periodically and maintain proper levels. My tank was a little low from evap but that should have made it harder for him to get out. He had to have figured out a way to get out by the filter because the rest of my tank is fully covered. I'm confused, frustrated, and upset! Why did he jump???

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Why did my Pleco Jump??

So sorry for your loss. What pleco was that ?
    Fish keeping is not a good hobby unless you received support from your family to keep them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry to hear that bro. I also lost 3 during house moving.
    I was reading some people keeping l114 had cases of pleco jump.
    Mine are just sink and still. Looking pale

--------------------------------------------------------
    visit my photo thread and critics please
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=97006
    "... thanks will always be given for helping me..."

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I was told when I bought him that he was a bristlenose pleco. Don't know alot about the pleco's just know of all the ones I've had he grew by far the largest and had beautiful coloring. I looked in the tank today, as I always did every morning and it sucked cause my tetras dont inspire me as much but I suppose I can get another pleco. Any suggestions to get another cool one that will grow fast like he did?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi JM,

Sorry to hear you lost the Pleco. Maybe next time you need to make sure there's no outlet in the tank for unexpected jumps. At night, there can be household creatures, eg gekkos, moths, cockroaches, cats, etc, etc which can cause the fish to panic. Prevention is always a good thing.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Plecos more active at night too. Size of your tank may be too small already? Sorry for your loss. Thought plecos are pretty hardy, heard that the normal ones can last without water for a day.