Singapore

Re: Fundulopanchax gardneri

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello shi xuan bro

thanks for advice again, ok then MOPS seems the eaiser way for me. lolz
    i only have pair now. the other female died on 2 day....
    i hope they breed soon!

cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by piperon View Post
    First, how can we be very sure that these eggs that imported into Singapore and have them spawn are from pure strain?
    Those who are serious about killie-keeping will buy only from reliable sources and trust the sellers' reputation and integrity to maintain proper population codes. How 'pure' the line remains depend largely, again, on the integrity of the breeders, their effort, time and dedication.

Secondly, those we bought from the aquarium and fish farm are they pure strain too?
    Farm-bred killies are usually tagged 'Aquarium strain' since population details are either unknown, withheld or deemed unnecessary. No comments with regards to how 'pure strain' these are.

So, the issue in keeping a pure strain has a question - are they really pure strain and who can prove it?
    Said 'purity' is very hard to maintain, passing between hands and between raising successive spawns. However, it is made possible by maintaining dedicated tanks and culling all questionable off-springs.

With regards to burden of proof, one is never obligated to buy when in doubt. Buy if you trust or like. Don't buy on the slightest hint of misrepresentation. Do research proper.

Those fishes before they were caught live in drain and stream and I believe they already cross-breed there
    If cross-breeding occurs due to flooding of habitats, etc, and if Mother Nature allowed the off-springs to survive, I'm not going to argue with Her.

I agreed that we need to keep a pure strain but with these doubt in mind and can't prove it myself - then I don't really care about the breed - whether they are origin or strain
    I used to be anal with regards to population codes but preaching to the choir is a consuming task.

For some, maintaining the gene pool from which the killies are collected (and presuming that their natural habitat hasn't been destroyed by redevelopment), there remains a hope of repopulating that said habitat one day.

Personally, I now have neither the strength, stamina and time to care whether others cared or not. I keep, breed, raise what I like and maintain their lineage as best as my resources allow (and I've been poorer for that). Others can get theirs on Aquabid, Ebay and wherenot.

I encourage aquarium strains to newcomers on the learning curve but I'll scoff at the thought of intentional hybridization. If a line of aquarium-strain killies (for example Aphyosemion australe), appeals to you, then go for it. Maintain the line for a few years and then look back to see if it was time well spent.

Apologies if my response is blunt but I should be asleep, not posting.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hello ron

well said, agreed!

Those who are serious about killie-keeping will buy only from reliable sources and trust the sellers' reputation and integrity to maintain proper population codes. How 'pure' the line remains depend largely, again, on the integrity of the breeders, their effort, time and dedication.

If cross-breeding occurs due to flooding of habitats, etc, and if Mother Nature allowed the off-springs to survive, I'm not going to argue with Her.

I encourage aquarium strains to newcomers on the learning curve but I'll scoff at the thought of intentional hybridization. If a line of aquarium-strain killies (for example Aphyosemion australe), appeals to you, then go for it. Maintain the line for a few years and then look back to see if it was time well spent.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123