Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Ich? Finrot?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello there hobbyists! My name is Dana and I am new to this forum. I am excited to get to know everyone and further my aquarium knowledge. I joined in hopes to find some experienced aquarists who could help me with my freshwater aquarium problem.

~Dana~
    Proud momma of Diesel and Eva

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Ich? Finrot?

Sorry! I accidentally posted before I finished writing. Then I could not modify the thread since my time expired. So here is the remainder...

***I have a 30 gallon freshwater community tank that has been established for about six months now. It currently houses a few different live plants, some glofish danios, three tiger barbs, two mollies, three dwarf gouramis, a platy, a female betta, and an albino cory. I have been very diligent with regular water changes, gravel vacuuming, and feeding a wide variety of flakes, freeze dried, and frozen foods.

My newest additions are the three tiger barbs, which were added about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, about a week ago, I noticed little white spots on two of the tiger barbs, mostly on their tails but it progressed to their bodies and pectoral fins. I did some online research and concluded it was most likely ich.

The water temperature is a consistent 80 degrees fahrenheit, but I cannot raise it any higher because my heater is not sufficient. I have carefully followed the instructions and treated the entire tank with API's Super Ick Cure liquid. I used 30ml of medication for the first treatment, and another 30ml 48 hours later. I removed the carbon filter prior to treatment and kept the aerators on. After the treatment cycle(last night), I changed about 30% of the water in the tank and still noticed the white spots on the fish, so I treated the water again with another 30ml of medication. This morning, I noticed one of my gouramis with a couple white spots. Perhaps she had these before and it went unnoticed however.

As of today, the two tiger barbs that were originally infected with the white dots now have almost completely lost their tail fins! It's as if they started to dissolve away from the ends. I've also noticed their dorsal and pectoral fins are beginning to lose their edges also.

Could this be from ich? Does anyone have any ideas about what could be going on in my aquarium? Any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks in advance!!***

~Dana~

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Ich? Finrot?

Perhaps I should also mention I do not have an extra tank to use for quarantine, nor am I in a position to purchase, setup, cycle, and maintain a second aquarium as I am nine months pregnant! So separating the fish isn't really an option for me, unless I actually rehome the infected individuals. Though I didn't think that would do much good since I've read ich can and will affect an entire aquarium population so it's best to threat everyone =/

~Dana~

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Ich? Finrot?

Unfortunately, I have lost one of the tiger barbs =(

~Dana~

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Ich? Finrot?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Perhaps I should also mention I do not have an extra tank to use for quarantine, nor am I in a position to purchase, setup, cycle, and maintain a second aquarium as I am nine months pregnant! So separating the fish isn't really an option for me, unless I actually rehome the infected individuals. Though I didn't think that would do much good since I've read ich can and will affect an entire aquarium population so it's best to threat everyone =/

~Dana~

hello dana, try introducing a heater and put in some aquarium salt. AVOID using malachite green, they are bad for pregnant ladies. http://www.ehow.com/how_5787901_use-...ttack-ick.html

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hiya Dana,

First off, congrats!! You're not far off. Do you know whether its a boy or a girl?

Sounds like an ich attack. There are two methods to curing it and death is inevitable regardless. One method is using salt and the other like what you did using commercial medicine.

Temperature
    The reason with increasing the temperature is to speed up the ich life cycle. You can only get them when they are tomites (they come out from the cyst and find a new host) It needs to be at 86 Fareinheit.

I have no experience of curing ichs at 80 fareinheit though. My guess is that, it'll still work but will take longer.

Medicine
    I choose Sera product to cure the ich. But I use less dosage than what was instructed. I'm sure API works the same as well.

Water Change
    I don't do water changes during the treatment. Any water changes I made was the usual weekly routine that I do and not because of treating the ich. This is debatable but it seems to work the same.

Quarantine
    It is not necessary at all. The tank is infected so there is no reason to move any fauna. Unless you have shrimps than that might be a need to remove the shrimps. They can't take the medicine.

Deaths
    Deaths inevitable. during treatment, I lost 15 to 25% of the fauna.

Conclusion
    Carry on with the treatment. Once you see all fauna without the white spots, continue treatment for another week or two. This is to ensure all parasite are dead.

There is a study on this ich parasite but a bit inconclusive. A fish that has been attacked and is cured will not be infected again. So sometimes, when you buy new fish, even when you guarantine them for weeks before adding to the community, they might still have the ich parasite on them.

Good luck!
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Ich? Finrot?

Quote Originally Posted by pyl View Post
    hello dana, try introducing a heater and put in some aquarium salt. AVOID using malachite green, they are bad for pregnant ladies. http://www.ehow.com/how_5787901_use-...ttack-ick.html
    Thank you for your suggestion. I researched the API's Super Ick Cure active ingredient, Benzaldehyde(malachite) Green and PVP prior to using it and recognize it's carcinogenic properties as dangerous to my unborn baby. Because of this, I had my husband handle the medication and water treatments since we started. I really appreciate the warning and your concern!

I decided to go with the chemical treatment over the salt not necessarily out of laziness, but because there is much less room for error to just measure the liquid meds. I guess I was worried I wouldn't dose the salt correctly since upon further investigation, several different websites recommend several different amounts of salt. Since I'm not the most experienced with aquarium fish, I didn't know how much or little salt my species will tolerate.

Since I have already gone through with three chemical treatments (one and a half med cycles as per directions on bottle), would you recommend I stick with this method? Or instead of completing the med cycle tonight, should I just go ahead and get the salt and heater tomorrow to try? Thanks for your reply!

~Dana~

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Ich? Finrot?

Quote Originally Posted by VSGenesis View Post
    Hiya Dana,

First off, congrats!! You're not far off. Do you know whether its a boy or a girl?

Sounds like an ich attack. There are two methods to curing it and death is inevitable regardless. One method is using salt and the other like what you did using commercial medicine.
    Thank you very much for your detailed response! You are very kind

The upcoming baby is a girl! She should be here within the next two weeks. Funny thing, we actually setup this aquarium for her nursery. It's not exactly my style to decorate it in such bright colors, but we're hoping she will appreciate it as she grows.

It's comforting to know that the casualties are inevitable and it's not necessarily something I was doing wrong. I've grown fond of this aquarium and get attached to my fish! I really appreciate your knowledgeable explanation and now I feel more confident that this ich invasion will be under control soon.

I felt like I had to change the water after the first medication cycle. Since I removed the carbon media in the filter during treatment, the bottom of the tank seemed to start to get dirty and the water began to cloud. I felt so bad for my fish living in that environment in addition to swimming around in the chemicals, so I(well technically my husband) changed about 30% of the water with a gravel vac(48 hours after last med treatment), then we treated the tank again. Is it all right that we did this or should we avoid water changes during the treatment period?

For now, we will do as you suggest and continue treating the thank with the API chemicals. Hopefully this will clear up very soon! My fingers are crossed for no more deaths in our tank!

~Dana~

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Dana,

Just sharing my own experience with the above mentioned. No expert here. =)

Cool!! A girl usually grows up to be daddy's girl though. A Sagitarrius baby like me! "Proud momma of Diesel and Eva" Are those your kids name? Diesel as for the brand, petrol or van diesel. Or err...are those name of fishes you have.

And about what your husband did in cleaning up the tank; no problem. Once you're sure, you've rid of all the parasite, you can add the carbon back in. It'll absorb the the medicine. There's no should or shouldn't water change during treatment. It works the same in my opinion. At the moment, baby priority. Your other half should do all the water changing, rushing to hospital, feed the fish and being awake 24/7; you should just sit back, relax, have a bell nearby to call for your husband to bring you your pillow, read Mitch albom book or Shades of grey and just chill. =P

anyway, all the best!
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/