Thread: Fishes caught by filter

Feedback Score

Fishes caught by filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi every1,

Hv u ppl ever experienced any of ur fish getting sucked by the filter?

I m using Eheim filter n do experience one of my SAEs being sucked recently.
    I dunno if it had died b4 getting sucked or wat.

Wat about shrimps? R they prone to dis 'accidents'?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sucked into the filter or stuck at the strainer at the filter inlet pipe? If the strainer is the standard Ehiem one and its stuck at the strainer, then I'ld say the SAE died first.

Which filter are you running anyway? My strongest filter is rated at about 900 or 1000l/hr, but I haven't come across live fishes getting stuck on it... and this is with my SAE's frequently loitering around the strainer.

Fish fry and shrimp larvae will get sucked in though.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:d06bc6efc4="vinz"]Sucked into the filter or stuck at the strainer at the filter inlet pipe? If the strainer is the standard Ehiem one and its stuck at the strainer, then I'ld say the SAE died first.

Which filter are you running anyway? My strongest filter is rated at about 900 or 1000l/hr, but I haven't come across live fishes getting stuck on it... and this is with my SAE's frequently loitering around the strainer.

Fish fry and shrimp larvae will get sucked in though.[/quote:d06bc6efc4]

I'm using 2026. It was at the strainer when i saw the SAE. I suppose u r rite that it died 1st.

I'm running this with a 3 feet tank. So can I safely say that if I run it in full rate, it shd be safe for my shrimps?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeap...

it should be save for your shrimps...
    coz your shrimps will not be having any difficulties passing the strainer...

Regards,
    Izzat

I really don't mind getting my shrimp suck into the canister filter because I have heard numerous cases whereby their yamatos actually breed inside

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi jonawm

My system is very similar to yours!

I have a quite a number of occasions whereby my fishes were sucked into my filter. The most bizzarre one was my oto who was swimming against the flow of water inside the green tubing connected to the inlet of the filter. I thought my eyes was playing tricks on me! Fortunately, I managed to get it out of the tubing after some effort.

Another event worth mentioning was my B Maculatus. I got 5 sucked inside my filter but all were surviving well. The best part was their extremely intense red coloration. Perhaps the water inside the filter was very stable and full of "food" for these fishes. Their colors were less intense after a few days of returning back to the tank.

However, there were a few limited occasions whereby my fishes died due to malnutrition inside the filter.

Fishes up to date that were sucked into filter and doing fine includes
    mid sized rummy nosed tetra
    otos
    juvenile SAE
    juvenile emperor tetra
    B Maculatus

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Seems like ur case is more 'serious' ya?