Country
    Singapore

Question A few noobie questions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum (and fish rearing), got 5 new fishes and have a few questions...

1. I've some new fishes and I'd like to ID them...is it right to say that I have a lemon tetra, 3 neon tetras and a weather loach?
    2. Are all my neons male? Their stripes seem pretty straight to me, but maybe they're not matured(?)...I don't know how old they are either.
    3. The lemon tetra (?) likes to chase the neons around the tank. I haven't noticed any ripped fins and assuming this is just play, but should I be worried (or am I getting my numbers wrong )?
    4. What is the average life expectancy of these fishes?
    5. I was told that at the shop that the fishes can't take aircon temperature, but according to Google searches they seem fine with 23-28 degrees water...who should I believe?
    6. Is there anything missing in my setup that my fishes absolutely need (pic below)?

Sorry for the noobie questions...still learning! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: A few noobie questions

1. I've some new fishes and I'd like to ID them...is it right to say that I have a lemon tetra, 3 neon tetras and a weather loach?
    2. Are all my neons male? Their stripes seem pretty straight to me, but maybe they're not matured(?)...I don't know how old they are either.
    3. The lemon tetra (?) likes to chase the neons around the tank. I haven't noticed any ripped fins and assuming this is just play, but should I be worried (or am I getting my numbers wrong )?
    4. What is the average life expectancy of these fishes?
    5. I was told that at the shop that the fishes can't take aircon temperature, but according to Google searches they seem fine with 23-28 degrees water...who should I believe?
    6. Is there anything missing in my setup that my fishes absolutely need (pic below)?
    1. I think the supposed weather loach is not a weather loach but is a golden chinese algae eater, Gyrinochelilus aymonieri. As for the lemon tetra, i think it is a silver tip tetra, Hasemania nana. (not sure whether lemon tetra is just a different common name, or a genuine mis-ID)

2. They look like males, but they could also be thin females. Maybe you can try keeping them for a few weeks first, the ones that get plump (you can see their body is somewhat a nice oval shape) are most likely the females.

3. Both tetras are schooling fish, they would definitely do better if you keep at least 6 of each. Hasmania nana like to chase amongst themselves, but usually its not serious, they are not the very aggressive sort.

4. About 3-4 years, well-kept individuals might live even longer.

5. They are tropical fish, 23 deg might be tolerated, but it is definitely at the lower end of their range, and might make them more susceptible to disease. Above 25 deg is definitely preferable.

6. Not really, but i think more plants in the lower-middle section would make the tank look less bare and help the fish feel more comfortable.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you! Also, the Silver Tip is snatching all the food away from the Neon...should I be worried?

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

If the silver tip is snatching ALL the food such that your neons are getting thiner, then you ought to be worried. Otherwise, if your neon still gets enough to eat and is getting plump, then it shouldnt be a problem. To solve such a problem, you can drop some food at a far corner of the tank, then when the silver tip rushes over to get the food, you also drop food near the neons, giving them a chance to feed while the silver tip is distracted by the food at the other end.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by lucasjiang View Post
    If the silver tip is snatching ALL the food such that your neons are getting thiner, then you ought to be worried. Otherwise, if your neon still gets enough to eat and is getting plump, then it shouldnt be a problem. To solve such a problem, you can drop some food at a far corner of the tank, then when the silver tip rushes over to get the food, you also drop food near the neons, giving them a chance to feed while the silver tip is distracted by the food at the other end.
    I'm trying that out now, but in order for the neons to get to the other side of the tank in time I have to delay the silver tip by putting a larger portion of food - I hope I don't overfeed it! The silver tip is really really fast

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

All your fishes need right now is a larger tank to swim in. They can take aircon temperatures but not below 22-23 deg C. If you go below that you will need a heater with a thermostat for their tank. They will become more lethargic as the temperature drops.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.