Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Fighting or playing - can't tell!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fighting or playing - can't tell!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

My neon tetras seem to like chasing each other around, not sure for play or aggressive, randomly for 3-5 minutes each (they just did that after I fed them). I haven't spotted any injuries, but thought I'd post the video here to get a second opinion:

Thanks~!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fighting or playing - can't tell!

This isn't spawning behavior. May I ask, how big is this tank in particular? Neons will chase each other repeatedly at times. Probably just random skirmishes nothing too serious.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    This isn't spawning behavior. May I ask, how big is this tank in particular? Neons will chase each other repeatedly at times. Probably just random skirmishes nothing too serious.
    It's L315xB85xH240, 1.5 gallons if my conversion is correct...I've 3 neons, 1 silvertip and a Chinese algae eater in it, and I'd very much like to have at least 6 of each tetras but I don't think they can all fit in comfortably.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You can fit 6 neon tetras in there but you'd have to get rid of the CAE and the Hasemania as both will get a little more aggressive with age. It is not advisable to cram a tank this size with too many fishes unless you perform regular water changes. Add in some hardy plants like Anubias nana or Hornwort and it will help with the bio-filtration of the tank. Alternatively, just add in some mosses.

When I last had neons, one of them survived for more than 2 years in my community tank. It would stay close to the larger cardinal tetras I had at the time. What you have there is probably 3 male Neons. Females are more plump.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    You can fit 6 neon tetras in there but you'd have to get rid of the CAE and the Hasemania as both will get a little more aggressive with age. It is not advisable to cram a tank this size with too many fishes unless you perform regular water changes. Add in some hardy plants like Anubias nana or Hornwort and it will help with the bio-filtration of the tank. Alternatively, just add in some mosses.

When I last had neons, one of them survived for more than 2 years in my community tank. It would stay close to the larger cardinal tetras I had at the time. What you have there is probably 3 male Neons. Females are more plump.
    I'll keep that in mind - planning to get a bigger tank for sure, but not anytime soon. Thanks!