Country
    Philippines

When to trim Glosso

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Beginner question here First time to try Glossos as foreground plant. I noticed that it is now quite thick and growing on top of each other. How do you know it is time to give it a trim? I don't want it lifting off the substrate. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: When to trim Glosso

I used to uproot the entire mat once it reaches 3 layers thick and replant the plantlets. A lot of work.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is there any other way to trim glosso without uprooting the whole thing and re-planting? Easier way? Reason being is because I have shrimps in the tank and it will cause too much disturbance to the shrimps which may cause death if need to uproot the whole glosso carpet out. Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

just cut like cutting hair, no need to uproot unless it too thick and bottom part start rotting
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines

Thanks for the replies. Gave my glossos a very short trimmed a week ago and now new leaves are sprouting. The thought of uprooting and replanting does not sound like a pleasant way to spend the Sunday afternoon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This question was bugging me for the longest time... in the end i decided to uproot and replant the whole thing. Alot of work, but should be worth it when I get a fresh green carpet.

I also had a green hair algae growing below my carpet, so uprooting the whole thing was the best solution.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question Re: When to trim Glosso

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyotos View Post
    ...The thought of uprooting and replanting does not sound like a pleasant way to spend the Sunday afternoon.
    Trust me, it definitely is not

Quote Originally Posted by gid View Post
    ...in the end i decided to uproot and replant the whole thing. Alot of work...
    Even discounting the hard work, it's heart-breaking isn't it, when a lush & (overly-)thick carpet is reduced to nothing?

...I also had a green hair algae growing below my carpet, so uprooting the whole thing was the best solution.
    On the lowest-layer of your glosso, or on top of the substrate but right-below the lowest layer of your glosso?

But come to think of it, actually I wonder how come algae can obtain enough light to thrive at that area (level)...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The GHA was growing in between the substrate and bottom-most layer of glosso. Impossible to remove.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The GHA was growing in between the substrate and bottom-most layer of glosso. Impossible to remove.
    Did you try with higher excel dosage (like double)?
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Did you try with higher excel dosage (like double)?
    yeap i did, but not much help.

anyway uprooting the entire carpet is worth it, my glosso is starting to carpet again after only one week! Probably because it was replanted from trimmings that had originally grown in the same tank, i guess.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

...anyway uprooting the entire carpet is worth it, my glosso is starting to carpet again after only one week! Probably because it was replanted from trimmings that had originally grown in the same tank, i guess.
    May I know how did you go about re-planting the glosso after the initial up-rooting? When you re-plant, wouldn't the glosso stalks float up at the slightest disturbance in the water?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    May I know how did you go about re-planting the glosso after the initial up-rooting? When you re-plant, wouldn't the glosso stalks float up at the slightest disturbance in the water?
    Just plant it deep enough. In fact, it is even ok to completely bury some of them. When you give them strong light, the leave will peek out of the substrate to catch the light.

Anyway, in case you got it wrong, the glosso is planted as individual plantlets, not by the entire stalk.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

...Anyway, in case you got it wrong, the glosso is planted as individual plantlets, not by the entire stalk.
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, i.e. when I mentioned "stalk" I was actually referring to plantlets as well. Perhaps a more refined term would be (individual) "nodes"?