Country
    Singapore

Any Monsterfish keeper here

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

I am keeping arowana, rays, doraudo, pikefish, emperor red hook, majestic shelter, emperor blue hook and pleco L190 in a 6feet tank. Just want to find out if theres anybody here keeping monster fish like me? Do share your collection.

Thanks
    Koolman

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Any Monsterfish keeper here

I only have a single West African Lungfish about 12ins now if I'm not wrong...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have 3 Endlicheri bichirs and 1 Weeksii in my 4 ft tank. Several eels in various tanks. I used to have an Odoe Pike, but I was forced to put it down after its swim bladder bust.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he will drink beer while getting sunburnt.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by y26tan18 View Post
    I only have a single West African Lungfish about 12ins now if I'm not wrong...
    Do you have other tankmates with it??

Quote Originally Posted by Shaihulud View Post
    I have 3 Endlicheri bichirs and 1 Weeksii in my 4 ft tank. Several eels in various tanks. I used to have an Odoe Pike, but I was forced to put it down after its swim bladder bust.
    The birchirs and weeksil will grow quite big.. Maybe, you could upgrade your tank size and add more powerful fishes to your collection.

Cheers
    Koolman

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have 3 bichirs in a 3 ft tank.

2 of them are Polypterus Endlicheri and the other, i have no idea what is the scientific name. It's commonly known in chinese as Mei hua long.

However, i can't keep them for long.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Mei Hua Long is Ornate bichir I think. I used to keep a channa pleurothelma with my fishes, but it got chomped by the odoe pike.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he will drink beer while getting sunburnt.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ah ok. wah the odoe pike so fierce? was your channa pleurothelma much smaller in size?

I rem i saw at this LFS located at Sin Ming area, the monster fish tanks really awed me. dunno how these shops keep a giant pleco together with 1 bichir inside there.

the bichir is huge too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah the odoe was quite insane. the pleuro was 3/4 its size when it was eviscerated. It liked to bite on my bichir too, but they were tougher and seems not to suffer wounds.
    When it got older it started to feed less and becomes not so active, a few months ago, its swim bladder busted and it couldn't right itself nor swim, I was forced to put it down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ah... that's sad.. did it die naturally or u had to cull it?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have a 12" Red Arowana, 2x 6" Short bodied albino Senegal, 1x 7" long finned senegal, 4 x clown loaches, 4 6" ITs, 1 x 5" AT, 1 x 11" and 1 x 10" Vulture Catfish all in a 5ft tank
    Fish keeping is not a good hobby unless you received support from your family to keep them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Stormz View Post
    I have a 12" Red Arowana, 2x 6" Short bodied albino Senegal, 1x 7" long finned senegal, 4 x clown loaches, 4 6" ITs, 1 x 5" AT, 1 x 11" and 1 x 10" Vulture Catfish all in a 5ft tank
    How is your comms? Are they peaceful or some nipping of fins here and there?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by koolman View Post
    How is your comms? Are they peaceful or some nipping of fins here and there?
    Not that I know of, so far so good.
    Fish keeping is not a good hobby unless you received support from your family to keep them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Not that I know of, so far so good.
    Thats very good.. My comms have some fin bite here and there..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fyeebiyd View Post
    ah... that's sad.. did it die naturally or u had to cull it?
    Yes I forced to cull it, I had it for 4 years already and was hoping that it would give me some more years. Interesting thing was that I immersed it into a basin of ice cold water to kill it quickly, but it survived for several hours....gave me a shock. I had culled other fishes, oscar, gars, snakeheads in the same manner and usually it is quite effective and quick.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I will be changing my monster fush collection soon. I will be keeping 1 x 17 inches red tail golden arowana, 2 x 10 inches green arowana, 2 x 7 inches emperor red hook, 2 x 7 inches emperor blue hook, 4 x IT 6, 7, 9, 10 inches, 1 x 10 inches pike, 1 x 7 inches PDRSP, 2 x 5 inches black ray, 1 x 7 inches albino pleco and 1 x L191 pleco. Can someone tell me if it is too heavy loaded in a 6ft sump tank..

Cheers
    Koolman

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

With that type of combination, I guess you got to improve more to your filtration in order to give them more good water. As the occupants all seems to be all high bioloads. How big is the L191?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

reporting here! keeping a 8"-9" pearl arowana, a couple of ITs, one small AT, some orino sp(nicer than orino ),2 temensis etcetc...
    Last edited by icefire; 18th Jul 2011 at 08:40.
    Too much of a fish SIAO to quit fish keeping/fishing..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

With that type of combination, I guess you got to improve more to your filtration in order to give them more good water. As the occupants all seems to be all high bioloads. How big is the L191?
    Currently, I am using a 4ft sump tank with bacterial house, bio-homme, CR, Bio-ball, etc.. It have fill up the entire partician.. My L191 is only 4inches big..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hope to see more monster fish keepers here in AQ =) It would be cool to grow this 'sub category' in this forum and more and more people can share their monster fish keeping experiences in this forum =) Soon more and more species of 'monsters' will be banned from import here and I supposed it's up to hobbyists here to keep the spirit alive! It'll be interesting to see other hobbyists' scaping for monster tanks as well! Simple to do but hard to 'get it right'.

I'm now keeping assorted Polypterus endlicheri and palmas species, IT, Channa and aros... looking into the red tail payara once tank upgrading is done =)

Hope to keep it burning and many more will get 'poisoned' into the appreciation of monster fishes =)
    People say I've got 'no life' because of my hobby. Well, this hobby IS MY LIFE!
    Joseph Soh

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've got a 13-14" African Arowana, an 8" Channa Marulioides and 3 Albino Senegals in a 4 footer at the moment. I've had the Afro for close to half a year now and it's given me a great deal of memories. They're a peaceful comm. but sadly i'm letting them go(minus the Albinos) as i'm on internship and thinking about start planted tanks. Also got a 4" Marbled Lungfish currently growing in a 2 footer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast